This Hartford Public High School grad can’t read. Here’s how it happened.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Skimmed through and this is a failure on her parents. I could see if she couldn't read or write English but they ain't immigrate last week to the States so why couldn't they teach her in Spanish?

Grew up broke when I was real young but my old man bought the first release of Hooked On Phonics and spent the time teaching me to read right when I started school...

Her parents just ain't shyt

How old are you? And was your father an immigrant who didn’t speak English?

Mike_Pipeson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
HTX
I don’t have lo re read it. Was my question already answered in the post I quoted from you!
What does your question have to do with anything regarding what I said or her situation?

Why would I answer your random question that doesn't pertain to anything being discussed?

concise

Veteran
Daps
She could have limitations and barriers that are specific to reading. Such things can require specialized instruction that your average teacher either isn't equipped for and/or doesnt have time for.

And a bunch of those people had too many kids to work with, leaving them overburdened ... leading to people quitting, leaving behind more work for the ones who remained.

Vicious cycle.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
I am with you. But breh...she got accepted into college. She didnt just slide by and go to the streets or menial labor...she got into college.

2 yr olds can work tablets better than adults. nikkas can get term papers from Chat GPT. That shyt way closer than most of us would like to believe.
You're focusing on the "Getting into College" part and not anything else - the computers got her into college. Now she can't do anything. She can't computer her way through college, or most of anything in life. ALL the computers did for her was the homework. The actual person cannot contribute to society now at all. She's actually a drain on resources.

And let me be clear - when we say use computers - understand that because she's illterate she can't even properly use google to search for and identify information. She can't really use a "computer", she can use the operating system on her phone due to practice and memory. But hand her a different phone and watch what would happen.

Last edited:

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You're focusing on the "Getting into College" part and not anything else - the computers got her into college. Now she can't do anything. She can't computer her way through college, or most of anything in life. ALL the computers did for her was the homework. The actual person cannot contribute to society now at all. She's actually a drain on resources.

And let me be clear - when we say use computers - understand that because she's illterate she can't even properly use google to search for and identify information. She can't really use a "computer", she can use the operating system on her phone due to practice and memory. But hand her a different phone and watch what would happen.
My issue is that this both exposes the current system and portends and even more problematic system in the future. She cant computer her way through college...yet. There was a time when the same could be said for getting into college or getting through HS.

And come on breh, I am pretty sure she aint had the same phone all her life :pachaha:. Figuring your way around a phones features aint rocket science. Like I said, you average 2 year old can do it.

concise

Veteran
Daps

Why the fukk is she wasting time and money in college if she’s doomed to fail?

Colleges need students.

I bet she would not have made it this far if most schools required SATs and ACTs like they used to.

:hubie:

Uconn at that

Hartford Campus, not the main in Storrs. Higher acceptance rate.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Colleges need students.

I bet she would not have made it this far if most schools required SATs and ACTs like they used to.

:hubie:

Hartford Campus, not the main in Storrs. Higher acceptance rate.
Bingo.

My issue is that this both exposes the current system and portends and even more problematic system in the future. She cant computer her way through college...yet. There was a time when the same could be said for getting into college or getting through HS.

And come on breh, I am pretty sure she aint had the same phone all her life :pachaha:. Figuring your way around a phones features aint rocket science. Like I said, you average 2 year old can do it.
Really? Since I got you thinking about it - really think about it. What are the odds she's used anything other than a device running Apple or Android her entire life, and more than likely specifically just one? :sas1:

And I don't even know what we're talking about any more tbh. Your original statement "are we moving to a place where reading isnt a necessity like that" - absolutely not. We are nowhere near that point. Just because she got through these things has not made reading not a necessity. It just means you can get these things without being able to read, meaning the system is broken. She is a broken person. She can't use these things to function in the world, not even in a normal college setting. She was formed in the cracks of a tragic moment in human development when the world went haywire and kids just got pushed through. Maybe we disagree in what we're talking about? She clearly needs to be able to read. If she couldn't - she'd continue getting through life with these shortcuts.

My point is, due to two huge factors that educators are now aware of after the fact (devices effect on learning/ covid school from home era), there's been serious damage done to a generation and we don't even know the sprawling effects yet.

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
She can barely hold a pencil because of unaddressed issues with hand fatigue and disputes about school-based occupational therapy, she and her attorney said.

What? What the fukk is "hand fatigue"?

:comeon:

ETA: Ortiz also wasn’t taught how to tell time or how to count money.

Get the fukk out here. I know she knows how to count money.

It sounds like the drug dogs at the airport are more useful to society than her.