This Hartford Public High School grad can’t read. Here’s how it happened.

Mindfield333

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NC
That’s unfortunate but why do people think school is supposed to teach you reading and writing? Your parents are supposed to help you recognize letters by like 2 or 3 and read to you.

verbalkint

I see you niccas...
Daps
Reppin
Queens
So her mother never bothered to become proficient in English either?...:francis:
At some point before hs graduation you should know your child is functionally illiterate.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
I worked/Volunteered at a Library for 2 yrs…You would be surprised how common this is.

Ppl would come in on the regular and would ask me to assist them in filling out Job applications online because they couldn’t read.

Was English their second language?
What kind of jobs were they applying for?

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
This is a huge issue with Gen Z and even worse in Gen Alpha. Kids with tablets aren't learning how to read, they're learning how to use tablets. She got through school using speech-to-text and google searching, and not only that got on the Honor Roll and into UCONN.

Covid made it even that much worse. At her age she would have been going from middle school into high school during the covid period. There's a large generation of failed students who got forced through hitting the universities/workforce

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
Ironically people who can read ain't reading all of that shiit

:heh:

Here is a summarized version of it, credit to GPT

Aleysha Ortiz, a graduate of Hartford Public High School, cannot read or write despite attending school since age six. She attributes her educational neglect to the Hartford school system's failure to provide her with necessary instruction and special education services, despite her diagnoses of ADHD and a speech impediment. Ortiz graduated using tools like speech-to-text applications and memorizing words from subtitles, but her Individualized Education Plan (IEP) lacked essential interventions. Her story highlights systemic educational failures, affecting many students in Hartford, and she is now pursuing legal action to address the neglect.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is a huge issue with Gen Z and even worse in Gen Alpha. Kids with tablets aren't learning how to read, they're learning how to use tablets. She got through school using speech-to-text and google searching, and not only that got on the Honor Roll and into UCONN.

Covid made it even that much worse. At her age she would have been going from middle school into high school during the covid period. There's a large generation of failed students who got forced through hitting the universities/workforce
I have asked this before...are we moving to a place where reading isnt a necessity like that? There was a time when you had to be able to hunt, build your own shelter, and cook to survive. Now most folks pay other people to do that stuff. nikkas dont even go to pick up their own fast food anymore. With how technology is going are we gonna reach a point where you legit dont have to know how to read? We basically there based on the bolded.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
I have asked this before...are we moving to a place where reading isnt a necessity like that? There was a time when you had to be able to hunt, build your own shelter, and cook to survive. Now most folks pay other people to do that stuff. nikkas dont even go to pick up their own fast food anymore. With how technology is going are we gonna reach a point where you legit dont have to know how to read? We basically there based on the bolded.
No :whoa:These kids are able to slip through an overwhelmed K-12 school system that didn't know this was happening yet and dealing with COVID, but have hit a roadblock the second they emerged into real life, hence this girl suing her school system.

We are nowhere NEAR there. :damn:

All this proves is what we already know - computers can do kids homework for them. What we haven't reckoned with is what that means for the kids - they can't function as adults.

Last edited:

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Actually her brain is not limited cause she figured out how to get by…. and obviously has great memorization ability. She can learn how to read if she wanted to and probably has. Story might be sensationalized somewhat
She could have limitations and barriers that are specific to reading. Such things can require specialized instruction that your average teacher either isn't equipped for and/or doesnt have time for.

I highly doubt a person would just decide not to read just because. I dont doubt that it has been sensationalized either. People talk about Floyd and Kellz like they cant read a stop sign or some shyt.

Lastly figuring out how to get by is a testament to her survival instincts and/or her will moreso than her intellectual capacity. Its plenty of super smart educated people that would have no idea what to do if but in a situation where they had to get by. Conversely you got people getting by every day that arent the brightest and/or have diagnoses.

Mike_Pipeson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
HTX
Skimmed through and this is a failure on her parents. I could see if she couldn't read or write English but they ain't immigrate last week to the States so why couldn't they teach her in Spanish?

Grew up broke when I was real young but my old man bought the first release of Hooked On Phonics and spent the time teaching me to read right when I started school...

Her parents just ain't shyt

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No :whoa:These kids are able to slip through an overwhelmed K-12 school system that didn't know this was happening yet and dealing with COVID, but have hit a roadblock the second they emerged into real life, hence this girl suing her school system.

We are nowhere NEAR there. :damn:

All this proves is what we already know - computers can do kids homework for them. What we haven't reckoned with is what that means for the kids - they can't function as adults.
I am with you. But breh...she got accepted into college. She didnt just slide by and go to the streets or menial labor...she got into college.

2 yr olds can work tablets better than adults. nikkas can get term papers from Chat GPT. That shyt way closer than most of us would like to believe.