This blockchain startup selling collectible NBA highlights just had $50 million in sales in 30 days

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
but I’m saying why would you want to pay for something you can watch for free?

like say you “own it” and your boy swings by your crib and you’re all like “fam Check out what i just copped for $71k!” Then show him your “digital card”

then he’s like coo and pulls out his phone and shows you the exact same clip :francis:
Tbh this could be something worth getting into. Dudes art example might be interesting. Ultimately art seems like a big money laundering game and was long seen as a way for rich people to move/hide their money. This shyt seems like a much more sophisticated extension of that.

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
Tbh this could be something worth getting into. Dudes art example might be interesting. Ultimately art seems like a big money laundering game and this shyt might not be any different. I think this is something worth looking into getting into.
Everything can be used to launder money really with reasonable belief, so in the end anything can have its value manipulated like that, it's all apart of the game that is capitalism

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
This is a finessin of a finessa.
The NBA which owns the rights to all NbA video has trouble profiting off the fact that every clip from every game is out there, finesses some company to pay for certain clips and to put their stamp on it, then that company finesses herbs into thinking that clip is special and offer it for sell at exorbitant prices even tho that clip is out there for free :wow:
This is how the rich stay rich.
But you realize this can be said about a lot of shyt in life. Jewelry (in particular diamonds), Supreme, Jordans, etc

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There are many people who don't understand why anyone would want to collect trading cards period outside of financial gain.

It is the same exact concept as trading cards except digital. You're saying it's not unique because there are clips on Youtube. What makes the physical card unique if anyone can find the exact same picture on google and print it themselves if they want?

The only thing that made the card unique was who made it and stamped it as authentic. Apply the same logic to the digital video clip. The NBA has stamped this clip as authentic. You can keep it in your online gallery or sell it, the same way you can keep your physical card in your notebook or sell it.
I get your point, but the the NBA also authenticates the same clip on other platforms such as YouTube. So to me it sounds like you're investing in the actual platform more so than the actual product, at least for now...but if the platform doesn't catch on, what value will your product have? And what indicators have they released that tend to show the value of these clips won't plummet this year, next year, etc..seems risky as fukk. Maybe they have some bigger venture in play, but I can't see the "collectible" angle being enough to persuade consumers to buy in. Gotta be more to it.

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
I get your point, but the the NBA has also authenticates the same clip on other platforms such as YouTube. So to me it sounds like you're investing in the actual platform more so than the actual product, at least for now...but if the platform doesn't catch on, what value will your product have?
You need to research non fungible tokens breh, it'll make more sense.
Your product is gonna have as much value as anyone wants to put into it like anything else. As long as there are crypto enthusiasts that like the nba they will stay, I'm in the discord any it's people going crazy for this shyt, acting like love struck women that'll complain they missed a drip and say "I'm leaving!"

And then are back next week going "wow finally got a drop, loving the app so far"

shyt like this requires a lot of addicts and it's looking to me like they've got enough people hooked. They already said the NBA views their deal as something to continue for years and years down the line, mark cuban sponsers it, the players do. The nba WANTS this shyt to pop off so they are going to do what they need to to make it happen, they don't want to potentially miss out on a newly developed market (NFTs) in the begging and miss out on potential billions.

And also to be quite frank I'd rather see a moment than a picture on a card too, like really, it's the nba, nobody wants to see a picture of a poster they actually want to see the poster so that's one of the biggest draws it has over cards, the biggest draw a card has over this is they can have authentic game worn pieces and autographs

It's what you make it

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
In the end it's a product people want to pay money for and it's something you can't pay for anywhere else. Trading cards are the same concept. Like others said, you can just find a picture of the player and make your own card and be like "pay me 1000" for this (and you actually can, I've seen people do that, there's a chick I follow on ig that does it with pokemon cards, she paints on them)
Link to that Instagram? I'm not saying I don't believe you I'm just intrigued.

Daps
Reppin
Lwo Lakeset
In the end it's a product people want to pay money for and it's something you can't pay for anywhere else. Trading cards are the same concept. Like others said, you can just find a picture of the player and make your own card and be like "pay me 1000" for this (and you actually can, I've seen people do that, there's a chick I follow on ig that does it with pokemon cards, she paints on them)

Doesn't have to make sense to anyone that doesn't want to collect or invest in it. Gotta remember, it's collectables, this isn't something strictly for people to invest money in for profit, people genuinwly want these moments because they just do and it's infinetly easier to keep up with than cards because they don't have to keep up with their phsyical location or condition.

People want to buy used soil panties don't mean I'm.gnna become a collector

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
I can't be reading this right. This makes no sense, I mean in this case their is no difference between the highlights, just value in itself?
Yes. Just value as well as the virtual signature on the highlight that allows to authenticate it.

A lot of the items we use in our economies work like that. If I make a perfect replica of a $100 dollars bill, but it doesn't have the watermarks of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, then it becomes worthless, right? It's a similar system built on trust.

Is it all virtual? Yes. Does it make sense? I mean, it's a human construct. It only makes sense if the participants want it to. Like most of the economy.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
So the price only means actually what someone is worth waiting to pay... same as a painting

it doesnt make sense to me, because like a few dudes said, its not unique... the same clips is there to download for free

thats like me buying the video of 2pac house of blues concert and saying I own it
when you can just buy the DVD or go on youtube and see the same thing

what makes my copy worth 500k? the number "they" decided to "sell" lol
whats the difference between his copy and me watching in 4k on my computer for free
Your copy and the other they sell all have unique signatures that authenticate them as real in their system.

What makes the value of a Yu-Gi-Oh trading card, really? I can find a picture of it on the internet after all. I can print it... If I'm dedicated enough, I can make a print very similar or quasi-identical to the official card...

The value resides in the fact that it has been issued by Konami. So it has a unique signature and is officially validated. That stamp brings trust in the system: it's a "real card". Then it becomes a market.

The whole blockchain system allows for these videoclips they trade to be just like cards, but virtual ones. And since it's virtual, shyt can be exchanged instantly and in a secure way.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Well that's the thing, the card is literally just a piece of cardboard unless it's got an autograph, and at one point of time from the 80-90's they were junk wax cause they over produced them and most of them retained no value.

The end game is not everyone wants to hold physical items. That's the thing, people like me who want these moments want to have assests online, verified on the blockchain (because the blockchain shows that your moment is authentic and once they stop minting it due to the program of blockchain that's it, they can't mint anymore themselves anyway so that's even more scarcity than most ohsycal cards)

Point I'm trying to get across is some people don't want phsyical shyt they want it digital and on the blockchain so that they can prove that that particular asset belongs to them and it's scarcity is verfied as well on there.

Cause think about it like this, if you have a card and it rates anything less than a 9 then you have to sell it almost at the base value of a raw card that may or may not be in a better condition. So you have to monitor and insure that card stays in good condition, you also have to understand how grading works and even with all that care you probably won't get a psa or beckett 10 most likely and it also cost like 20$ just to send the card in to be.graded
You also have to pay for shipping to buy or sell the cards too

So getting phsyical cards comes with extra costs that you simply don't need to pay for when it's digital.

And again when it comes to collecting it can only make sense to you and nobody else, that's the spirit of collecting, it's a personal thing. I know for me I love seeing my moments that I bought, I'd rather not see them on youtube, I like how they display them and the fact I can sell the shyt :yeshrug:
Yeah I totally understand the concept now. nikkas on here trying to argue about it instead figuring out how we can capitalize on this. For example imo this can go further than just basketball. Imagine doing this with music. If there were rare studio moments of an artists creating your favorite record or something I could see that being another cool artifact. Like I won't lie if someone did this with some JayZ clips or him perfoming at the Garden I'd cop. Or Hov's bsides concert a few years ago when he spit that "We gonna turn style (turnstile), I ain’t ya token nikka" or shyt Dave Chappelle recent performance when he spoke on getting his rights back.

Daps
Like a house of straw but if these youngins are willing to pay :yeshrug:.

When do they go public? Need to get in on this :russ:.

Seriously though, this would make sense, like paintings, if you got the original copy of film from an NBA camera/cameraman and you could either keep it or share it on YouTube. Basically you pay $50k but could have exclusive access or try to share for a profit.

But if everyone can access it? In theory videos get taken off YouTube all the time but.....yeah....it makes sense but it doesn't.