Things you didn't notice on The Wire until multiple watches

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Wood Harris said before the infamous scene of him walking through the Pit, him and Idris were just standing around, and he was kicking the dirt, thinking it was a rock underneath it, and they realized it was actually a dead human baby's hip that was buried. So when you watch the scene of them walking through the Pit, they was still kinda off because of what they just saw.
:ohhh::picard:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I'm pretty sure they just didn't want any parts of that

When (fake cop)Monk tells the woman about the shooting victim, she says she didn't hear anything....as he was walking off she asked whether the victim survived.
Monk, forgetting his lie, said "what?"

It was supposed to be in a nice upscale section of B-more....so we're to believe that residents would speak to cops.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
When (fake cop)Monk tells the woman about the shooting victim, she says she didn't hear anything....as he was walking off she asked whether the victim survived.
Monk, forgetting his lie, said "what?"

It was supposed to be in a nice upscale section of B-more....so we're to believe that residents would speak to cops.
I know, I'm saying in a lot of those cases, people don't want to be involved. Upscale or not, so they will act like they didn't hear or see anything. I get what you're saying though. Plus it was only one person. When it was really investigated, other people may have talked. That part of the incident that didn't really delve too deeply in. I feel that scene was just used as a comedic device to show Mook playing an officer and Snoop checking the hospital.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Yep. That scene where Kima takes the little boy and does the "Good night moon" recitation was taken from the Clockers book.

And wow, here's one I literally just caught just now while thinking of one to add to this thread.

Peep game:

When Omar is waiting to testify against Bird in Season 1, he helps out the court officer with a crossword puzzle, telling him that the god of war, Mars, is also called Ares by the Greeks. "Same dude, different name is all." And then he tells him that when he was a kid he used to love Greek mythology. The scene was inspired by David Simon finding that alot of the street kids he knew in Baltimore rarely paid attention to any school subjects, but would be really interested in Greek mythology.

I was just now thinking that Omar was supposed to be the series "God of War", feared in the streets, warring with rivals all the time, living off the reputation of his name alone.

Sound familiar to any other character in The Wire?

marlo.jpg

"Same dude, different name is all."

Marlo is an anagram for Omar L. (Omar Little)

:wow:

"If the Gods are fukking you, you find a way to fukk them back. It's Baltimore gentleman. The Gods will not save you" - Commissioner Burrell
:ohhh:

B...

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
Yep. That scene where Kima takes the little boy and does the "Good night moon" recitation was taken from the Clockers book.

And wow, here's one I literally just caught just now while thinking of one to add to this thread.

Peep game:

When Omar is waiting to testify against Bird in Season 1, he helps out the court officer with a crossword puzzle, telling him that the god of war, Mars, is also called Ares by the Greeks. "Same dude, different name is all." And then he tells him that when he was a kid he used to love Greek mythology. The scene was inspired by David Simon finding that alot of the street kids he knew in Baltimore rarely paid attention to any school subjects, but would be really interested in Greek mythology.

I was just now thinking that Omar was supposed to be the series "God of War", feared in the streets, warring with rivals all the time, living off the reputation of his name alone.

Sound familiar to any other character in The Wire?

marlo.jpg

"Same dude, different name is all."

Marlo is an anagram for Omar L. (Omar Little)

:wow:

"If the Gods are fukking you, you find a way to fukk them back. It's Baltimore gentleman. The Gods will not save you" - Commissioner Burrell

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
If you watch the show, Chris was the brains and the muscle of the Stanfield operations. Most of the time Marlo did whatever Chris thought the best idea was.
and just like stringer, he didn't respect the street enough. he was always pitching some overkill type shyt, when it didn't have to be. and in the end, pissed marlo the fukk off, for not telling him his name was being talked about. chris was like "oh don't even worry some nikkas just ta......" "what nikka, he calling me a punk.... and you ain't fukking tell me"

when he started going in, even chris looked shook before monk told him

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
and just like stringer, he didn't respect the street enough. he was always pitching some overkill type shyt, when it didn't have to be. and in the end, pissed marlo the fukk off, for not telling him his name was being talked about. chris was like "oh don't even worry some nikkas just ta......" "what nikka, he calling me a punk.... and you ain't fukking tell me"

when he started going in, even chris looked shook before monk told him

I don't get where you say Chris was pitching some overkill stuff, and he didn't respect the street, cause Chris was a master tactician on the level of Omar and Brother Mouzone, and he was feared in the street

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
One thing I always wondered about was why Chris always looked bummy. Marlo obviously was feeding his team. His other lieutenants (Snoop &Monk) were usually dressed nice, kept fresh haircuts, had nice cars, etc. Chris was just super low-key. The only time we saw Chris' wealth was when he had to go on the run, but went home first.
Maybe, like somebody said in this thread, Chris was really like Stringer. Instead of trying to look "hood rich", he was actually stacking his paper & making investments or other power moves.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
I don't get where you say Chris was pitching some overkill stuff, and he didn't respect the street, cause Chris was a master tactician on the level of Omar and Brother Mouzone, and he was feared in the street
y'all bout to make me go back and watch this shyt again :wow:

but this is where i was going with that

stringer was a master tactician and respected in the street.. he was side by side with avon since kids. took over towers together, half a city, cops didn't even know their names or faces. i'm sure that came with street shyt even tho string never pulled it himself. he must have been authorizing hits and advising who to trust, checking up on snitches and shyt. remember avon came home to a fly crib, they was paying off politicians before clay davis, had mad businesses. stringer was second in command, he got much respect

but in the end, he didn't respect the streets. he was breaking all sorts of codes OF HIS ERA. he got respect but he didn't really love or respect the game like avon

chris and marlo to me, were the new avon and stringer.. young nikkas, murder you for anything, no respect for the rules, no respect for the OGs, no respect for the cops. chris didn't have to send hits to murder entire familes, just cause somebody heard he said somebody called marlo a fakkit.. nikkas torturing the blind man just to kill him anyway so omar will come back.. then when omar comes back, what does chris do all the sudden? doesn't tell marlo that his name is being dissed IN THE STREETS.. he got snoop to lie for him, monk.. everybody trying to keep the secret, cause chris didn't want marlo to go handle it in the street.

now in chris case, he wanted to do it instead.. but that's one thing that hasn't changed. if you that guy and another man is running around stealing from you, calling your name in public mid robbery, saying you a bytch, and you won't see him.. and you duck and hide and he gets popped by a 12 year old... maaaaaaaaaan your name is forever muddied in these streets. which is why marlo flipped in jail. then had to leave that party to hear nikkas talking bout omar and clowning his name even after his death.

that's chris fault. i never said he was disloyal. but that one mistake is where he didn't respect that code... marlo and avon loved them streets like mitch :mjcry:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
One thing I always wondered about was why Chris always looked bummy. Marlo obviously was feeding his team. His other lieutenants (Snoop &Monk) were usually dressed nice, kept fresh haircuts, had nice cars, etc. Chris was just super low-key. The only time we saw Chris' wealth was when he had to go on the run, but went home first.
Maybe, like somebody said in this thread, Chris was really like Stringer. Instead of trying to look "hood rich", he was actually stacking his paper & making investments or other power moves.
They alluded to Chris being molested like Michael was. That’s how he immediately knew why mike wanted his stepdad killed, even when mike wouldn’t say. And the next scene, Chris asks the stepdad if he likes touching boys, when mike never told him.

That’s why he went crazy and killed him outside. And with his bare hands. Another mistake that would get him caught up

Probably turned him cold since then. He ain’t worried about getting fly or getting bytches or having fun. That nikka probably releases demons by murdering people

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
They alluded to Chris being molested like Michael was. That’s how he immediately knew why mike wanted his stepdad killed, even when mike wouldn’t say. And the next scene, Chris asks the stepdad if he likes touching boys, when mike never told him.

That’s why he went crazy and killed him outside. And with his bare hands. Another mistake that would get him caught up

Probably turned him cold since then. He ain’t worried about getting fly or getting bytches or having fun. That nikka probably releases demons by murdering people
I caught the molestation part, so I get that. I just meant his low key lifestyle. He has money, a nice house, cars, and a family (I think he mentioned his girl and his kid). Maybe he's just trying to stay under the radar.