Things you didn't notice on The Wire until multiple watches

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Yeah but at least D’Angelo cares about other ppl
Herc is just...ugh
True for the most part but Herc did have moments where he tried to be respectful of other people.

It's easy to forget that scene (and the follow up when Bodie is caught with that card on him, which proved that the grandmother actually did follow through and give Bodie the card that Herc left) because Carver ends up being the one to show massive character growth later on. It just goes to show how Colvin and Daniels had a really strong influence on Carver. People aren't finished products the second they start their job. Career mentorship can really go a long way.

Last edited:

Black Trash!

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
True for the most part but Herc did have moments where he tried to be respectful of other people.

It's easy to forget that scene (and the follow up when Bodie is caught with that card on him, which proved that the grandmother actually did follow through and give Bodie the card that Herc left) because Carver ends up being the one to show massive character growth later on. It just goes to show how Colvin and Daniels had a really strong influence on Carver. People aren't finished products the second they start their job. Career mentorship can really go a long way.

But he gave them Marlo for the wire tap...and then snitched about the wire tap

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
that's kinda of my point... that works as a strategy move, same way going co-op or giving up those towers worked business wise

in the streets tho.... your rep takes a major hit when you look to be dodging and ducking a nikka. what was the first thing marlo told chris to do directly after getting out of jail? go right back to those same streets and tell people that he never told marlo the truth.

think about that.. marlo wanted his second in command, to personally go to the hood, to spread the word that dead omar's message never got to marlo... and that marlo will see anybody and is not scared

what was avon so pissed at stringer for? worried too much about that co-op and going legit and shyt... ignoring marlo, letting him take their corners, letting joe take the towers... yes they made more money.. but the barksdale name was bullshyt on the street

even poot saw that coming a mile away.. your rep/name is everything

even Michael called it out in this scene

He called out the fact that Marlo had June Bug whole family killed off a rumor but Omar calling Marlo a bytch everyday, robbing his stash houses and nothing happening

Here is the thing though. What does anybody gain by Chris telling Marlo that Avon is out openly shytting on his name and destroying his drugs?

They lured Omar back to Baltimore to kill him. Chris and his hitters are actively looking for him 24/7 since they hit Butchie. Chris and all the goons went to the mattresses. Only one out in the streets is Monk and he's bait.They dangled that at Omar and lured him into an ambush. They stepped it up into overdrive once they know Omar is hurt(checking E.R. rooms and posing as cops following leads).Now they are legit looking for him 25/8.

By relaying to Marlo what Omar is saying, what does that do for their efforts to locate and kill Omar?
the ONLY possible change is that Marlo hits the streets himself and gets hit.

Remember these words that Chris told Marlo when M was mad that Omar stuck him up at the card game

Marlo "we gonna get him, put some money on his head"
Chris" Barksdale tore this town apart looking for the guy, and all he ended up looking was weak
M "I ain't no barksdale"
C "talk is cheap"
M" you saying let it slide?"
C "no, we come at him another way..but until then mums the word"

Hypothetically, what does Marlo gain by knowing that he's getting shytted on openly, when he has a deadly hit squad looking for Omar 24/7? And what could Marlo's response be?

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
I know breh. There was a theory going around that he was ex military or something.

I know he was an extra.... but him being ex police would be perfect. Explains how he was so tactical and knew how to avoid them at every turn
How else would a sociopathic so-called "hood" nikka know these movements :pachaha:

0:30

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Here is the thing though. What does anybody gain by Chris telling Marlo that Avon is out openly shytting on his name and destroying his drugs?

They lured Omar back to Baltimore to kill him. Chris and his hitters are actively looking for him 24/7 since they hit Butchie. Chris and all the goons went to the mattresses. Only one out in the streets is Monk and he's bait.They dangled that at Omar and lured him into an ambush. They stepped it up into overdrive once they know Omar is hurt(checking E.R. rooms and posing as cops following leads).Now they are legit looking for him 25/8.

By relaying to Marlo what Omar is saying, what does that do for their efforts to locate and kill Omar?

Remember these words that Chris told Marlo when M was mad that Omar stuck him up at the card game

Chris" Barksdale tore this town apart looking for the guy, and all he ended up looking was weak
M "I ain't no barksdale"
C "talk is cheap"

Hypothetically, what does Marlo gain by knowing that he's getting shytted on openly, when he has a deadly hit squad looking for Omar 24/7? And what could Marlo's response be?
you keep making the point while missing the point

LOGICALLY... chris and stringer were correct.. do not go head up with omar. do not run this drug trade like a hood nikka

avon and marlo understood it more.. the STREETS.. and your name in those streets, means everything. doesn't matter if you "win" in the end.. if your name is ass in the street, you already look weak, scared and like a victim to the next man on the rise

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Yep. That scene where Kima takes the little boy and does the "Good night moon" recitation was taken from the Clockers book.

And wow, here's one I literally just caught just now while thinking of one to add to this thread.

Peep game:

When Omar is waiting to testify against Bird in Season 1, he helps out the court officer with a crossword puzzle, telling him that the god of war, Mars, is also called Ares by the Greeks. "Same dude, different name is all." And then he tells him that when he was a kid he used to love Greek mythology. The scene was inspired by David Simon finding that alot of the street kids he knew in Baltimore rarely paid attention to any school subjects, but would be really interested in Greek mythology.

I was just now thinking that Omar was supposed to be the series "God of War", feared in the streets, warring with rivals all the time, living off the reputation of his name alone.

Sound familiar to any other character in The Wire?

marlo.jpg

"Same dude, different name is all."

Marlo is an anagram for Omar L. (Omar Little)

:wow:

"If the Gods are fukking you, you find a way to fukk them back. It's Baltimore gentleman. The Gods will not save you" - Commissioner Burrell
giphy.gif

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK

M "I ain't no barksdale"
C "talk is cheap"

I get everything you’re saying and great point but I think Marlo would rather be dead and go head up with Omar than have his name tarnished by people thinking he’s shook.

And Marlo has at least 4 bodies under his belt himself so it’s not like he’s adverse to putting in his own work. I think a large part of why Chris and Snoop respect Marlo so much of his past and how much work he put in himself, so I don’t think Omar would just be able to get him that easily.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
you keep making the point while missing the point

LOGICALLY... chris and stringer were correct.. do not go head up with omar. do not run this drug trade like a hood nikka

avon and marlo understood it more.. the STREETS.. and your name in those streets, means everything. doesn't matter if you "win" in the end.. if your name is ass in the street, you already look weak, scared and like a victim to the next man on the rise
ok, i respect it
I get everything you’re saying and great point but I think Marlo would rather be dead and go head up with Omar than have his name tarnished by people thinking he’s shook.

And Marlo has at least 4 bodies under his belt himself so it’s not like he’s adverse to putting in his own work. I think a large part of why Chris and Snoop respect Marlo so much of his past and how much work he put in himself, so I don’t think Omar would just be able to get him that easily.
ok, i respect it
i agree that in marlo's backstory he had to have been a monster himself to have control over killers like chris and snoop
marlo personally killed the girl that tried to set him up, but who are the other 3 people that he's shown killing on the show?

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
ok, i respect it

ok, i respect it
i agree that in marlo's backstory he had to have been a monster himself to have control over killers like chris and snoop
marlo personally killed the girl that tried to set him up, but who are the other 3 people that he's shown killing on the show?
That girl was actually the 5th

In season 3 when Kima goes to Homicide to ask Detective Holley about Marlo he tells her that he has 4 Murder cases in his jacket and he got off on all of them. He has a specific style, he shoots you twice in each chest and once in the mouth. Same way he did Davonne. The last one he tells her they had a witness stashed away, the guy went back to the Westside to cop some weed and he got murdered with his ankle braclet on him. And at the end Kima says “So Marlo is no joke” and Holley says “That morherfukker is Real”

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

In season 3 when Kima goes to Homicide to ask Detective Holley about Marlo he tells her that he has 4 Murder cases in his jacket and he got off on all of them. He has a specific style, he shoots you twice in each chest and once in the mouth. Same way he did Davonne. The last one he tells her they had a witness stashed away, the guy went back to the Westside to cop some weed and he got murdered with his ankle braclet on him. And at the end Kima says “So Marlo is no joke” and Holley says “That morherfukker is Real”

My dude, you are no joke. I consider myself a super wire fan, and I NEVER peeped this.

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
It was Poot who spotted Brandon at the arcade, not Wallace.
I figured that Wallace was a level above Poot , so he made the call & got the credit and the reward for locating him.

"That's him"
That's who?
"Omar's boy..that's him right there"
i don’t think Wallace was above poot. I think they were on the same level, but wallace was more responsible and more of a leader. Think to him being responsible of the kid lookouts, feeding them and getting them to school.

But bodie was higher ranking then them tho

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin

Forgot all about that but I do remember now.

Another thing is Chris damn near seemed shook to tell Marlo. Wasn’t just Mike wanting to tell Marlo. A few others voiced the need to tell him and Chris always was like nah nah. Like he knew that nikka was crazy.

Then in the jail when Marlo finds out. Omar is dead already. Chris is still looking at monk like “nikka shut up and stop talking”. Marlo starts barking on nikkas and Chris just puts his head down in shame like he knew he fukked up.

Then the last scene is the most telling. He had the world in his hands. He’s free, rich, and in the room with Baltimore’s real kings. And all he can do is go back to the street. And when he hears his name being dragged, walks up, beats up a nikka with a knife and his partner with a gun, with his bare hands and runs them off their corner.

That last scene is Marlo showing why he’s boss.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
The dude who was punking buggs and robbing him was first seen in season one when Lester walked into the gym where he first got the pic of Avon. While Lester is walking into the gym is ask Lester do he wanna bye some drugs
He’s also in the last season, for everyone who said he got killed

Bubbs is clean and walking home. Walking up the alley, he passes a fiend who screams his name. Bubbles locks up but dude starts laughing and walking away. You can’t see him clearly but it’s meant to be that dude