There’s a crisis with the new generation of American Hoopers

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
You’re looking at this from a defensive standpoint and just want ‘credit’

The fact of the matter is 1- Embiid is not American, and 2- His development physically came from his upbringing. 16 years worth.

You take that away and it don’t matter where he played aau he’s Kevon looney :beli:
Too much basketball and he's 100x more injury prone than he already is

DatNkkaCutty

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
@ PA
Also the NBA has pivoted away from the hood. Most these dudes strike me as players coming from good homes, traditional families, etc. Not that it's a bad thing...but somethings off (mentally). It's like a league full of Grant Hills, and C-Webs now. :russ:

Where are all the Iversons, Marburys, GPs, Sheeds, Artests, STAKS, etc tho? Where are the grittier, more competitive-spirited players? You need a mix of both, if you ask me. AAU, and all that traveling, prices a lot of talent out. You've always been in trouble already, if you don't have the correct support system, or grades behind you. Nonetheless....I think these nkkas bein soft or fugazi like Ja nkkas as caught up to talent, in the states. :yeshrug:

But I guess, you will have folks say, the talented players will always be found.

Last edited:

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
It’s almost as if all the young players are young. Most of the greats don’t win a ring until their mid to late 30s. shyt Kobe didn’t win his first as the leading man till he was 30 or 31. The problem is impatience. NBA fans are the worst

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Also the NBA has pivoted away from the hood. Most these dudes strike me as players coming from good homes, traditional families, etc. Not that it's a bad thing...but somethings off (mentally). It's like a league full of Grant Hills, and C-Webs now. :russ:

Where are all the Iversons, Marburys, GPs, Sheeds, Arrests, Stacks, etc tho? Where are the grittier, more competitive-spirited players? You need a mix of both, if you ask me. AAU, and all that traveling, prices a lot of talent out. You've always been in trouble already, if you don't have the correct support system, or grades behind you. Nonetheless....I think these nkkas bein soft or fugazi like Ja nkkas as caught up to talent, in the states. :yeshrug:

But I guess, you will have folks say, the talented players will always be found.
Facts. Jimmy butler is a great example. He a dog for sure but they talkin like he a psycho. Meanwhile Jimmy in his prime was just another highly competitive player. He didn’t stand out like that in Chicago. Nggas done forgot all them gamenwinners Bron used to drop on his head :skip:

But you put him next to KAT, wiggins (yes who is Canadian), and now he’s a pit bull.

A 33 year old outplaying a 25 year old who’s universally accepted as better is UNHEARD OF in any other era. Yea players age better now but just for reference that’d be like prime Shaq being outplayed by Sabonis, or Toronto Olajuwon :dead:…or Portland Scottie when he was gettin crossed up by prime fro Kobe. It does not happen

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Also the NBA has pivoted away from the hood. Most these dudes strike me as players coming from good homes, traditional families, etc. Not that it's a bad thing...but somethings off (mentally)

It’s worth remembering Coach K called Tatum a soft ass St Louis kid :dead:People spun that as just motivation but Coach K done seen it all he meant that shyt:bryan:

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Jayson Tatum stays overly disrespected in these young player discussions. His resume is ridiculous for a player his age. When you compare Luka to him, Luka's resume doesn't stack up at all.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
It's been time to ban AAU basketball
I don’t think this is the sole problem. Can’t overlook the effects of the personal coaches, skills trainers. These kids are robots now.

Cam Thomas is a perfect example. Dude be out there in an nba game like he practicing by himself. Can score his ass off but ‘doesn’t know how to play’ (remember Colin Sexton).

He’s even socially awkward to go with it. A complete bag robot

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Would Austin Rivers have ever made it to the NBA if he didn't have AAU level favoritism and benefits? Let alone his father. Would he be as entitled and arrogant as he is?

That's the problem. There are talented hoopers around the world who don't make it close because they are written off early by these AAU/youth coaches. Alot of the wisdom, training and guidance they need to make it isn't there. Even though they work way harder than the players like KAT

This issue has many layers. But who wants to talk in depth about something like this in here?
:unimpressed:
I think this is going to be a much bigger problem going forward. Every year, more and more of the top 50 is becoming riddled with children of former basketball players and children who come from means. It’s gonna be a lot harder for the “hungry” kid to make it out of his particular circumstance in the states because the game is started to be gatekept at the lower levels imo. The dude who used to go to the hood to make sure a kid with potential got the right exposure is leaving him there in favor of his own son who with the right training and push can probably get to 70% of what the other kid could achieve.

This isn’t happening overseas. The best players get all the training and push. We’re watering our product down over here.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ

Where are all the Iversons, Marburys, GPs, Sheeds, Arrests, Stacks, etc tho? Where are the grittier, more competitive-spirited players? You need a mix of both, if you ask me. AAU, and all that traveling, prices a lot of talent out. You've always been in trouble already, if you don't have the correct support system, or grades behind you. Nonetheless....I think these nkkas bein soft or fugazi like Ja nkkas as caught up to talent, in the states. :yeshrug:

I can’t prove this, but the league feels a lot less athletic than it used to as well and I’m sure this plays a part in that.