There is no sanctuary - FEAR The Walking Dead Season 1 Thread

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Zombie lore not existing in zombie films completely erases the origins of zombies. It's another way to remove black people and a black presence. If you don't explore the origins of zombies, or acknowledge them, then it's easier to pretend the world is white and only white history matters.

Much respect, again, to the much maligned ZNation.

i don't know how you made this leap in logic. even if the zombie lore existed, how would it suddenly add black presence to the show?

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
169439235vd00042_australian_96994091-e1407059113435.jpg

Daps
Cal was the best acted. He's a straitlaced kid we're introduced to who's detailing the inside of a car.

He lives in a nice neighborhood. But not an ostentatious one.

He knows Nick's mom very well, so well they think Nick went to him first. Nick was into drugs. By the way he was originally presented, he could have been the kid who kept to the straight and narrow while Nick fell apart, a true blue friend.

When Nick and Cal finally do meet,
Nick and Cal seem way too close to be just dealer and junkie. Who the fukk calls their heroin hookup for a hug in a very public restaurant? I can see a prostitute maybe doing so, but not a junkie who wants someone to finally believe him that he's not insane.

Why is Nick on drugs anyway? Whose parents have coffee with their kids dealer at the dealers kitchen table? So much to explore.....

The vibe throughout is that there's more to Cal than meets the eye. To me it was a hell of a lot more refreshing than all the surface characters we'd already met.

If anyone would go snooping in crime scenes, it would have been Cal.

Contrast him to the mom and Dad. They're supposed to be teachers, but the mom gives off court procedural vibes, and the dad gives off detective procedural vibes. Neither have chemistry with one another, its like they're characters written for a different show.

The fake out scene with the principal who looks like Obama only makes sense if the mom is unfamiliar with procedures at the school.

The need to make the presidential principal look scary is entirely suspect all by itself. The same went with the Moms treatment of the black cop at the hospital. Black men doing their jobs are not presented as helpful but as dangerous.

And Asians are presented as incompetent (the female) and impotent (the doctor who should have been listened to and sought out in the first place instead of brushed off by psycho bytch mom)! Which is a whole other discussion.

All of that aside Cal was multi faceted, he was not at all what he appeared on the surface
even as a dealer, and as other websites have pointed out his death breaks several rules of canon established in season 1. If anyone should have survived it should have been Cal, who initially appeared to be a bridge between the world as it appears and the world as it really was.

It was the wrong decision to kill Cal off, like killing Wash off in the new V too soon wrong. New V turned out to be crap. So will this show.

If the Mom turns out to have been bitten (which she should have been in the Cal tunnel tussle) -- I don't know if that's better or worse than her not being bitten. If she's bitten, she's the longest last person to take a bite before amputation. Big tiny got snuffed for a mere scratch by people who had seen what happens when the dead touch you. Bad writing.

If she wasn't scratched or bitten, it proves the show is more of the same plot device driven crap twd became, where little girls can escape zombies who wander into campsites with watchers on every roof, but can't escape zombies in the mud.

(Nick should have never been able to over power Cal, noted all iver the web, which is part if the same discussion. People and zombies are as weak or strong as the plot requires.)

If I seem hard on the show, its because there's too much money involved for it to suck this much. At least ZNation doesn't pretend to give a damn, but manages to keep to its own internal logic most of the time.

All in all not an impressive premiere.
You doing too much.

Daps
Zombie lore not existing in zombie films completely erases the origins of zombies. It's another way to remove black people and a black presence. If you don't explore the origins of zombies, or acknowledge them, then it's easier to pretend the world is white and only white history matters.

Much respect, again, to the much maligned ZNation.
:what:

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
i don't know how you made this leap in logic. even if the zombie lore existed, how would it suddenly add black presence to the show?

What is the origin of zombies? What is the origin of the word zombies?

By removing zombies, you've removed Africa, you've removed the history of slavery, you've removed new world blacks, you've removed the one group of people who have experience with zombies. You've removed the experts. You've removed the chance to delve deeper into why zombies exist.

But we don't get that. There is no 'in X culture, the zombie blah blah blah'.

There is no acknowledgement.

There is erasure.

And that's why I had to give it up for Z Nation. Not because they use the word, but because they actually explore the beginnings of zombies, in nature and artificially. The black experience is not erased. Black people are not erased.

Cabbage Patch

Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
Junkie, Dealer, Tagger, looks like the president, and I don't know who that other person is.

Could probably have added the brother cop who made the snide remark about the mom wearing the pants, when she bumrushed the hospital room and started giving orders to the cops all aggressively. He gets a ticking clock.

Cabbage Patch

Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
Smfh. Dude earlier in the thread said it had "too many mexicans"

:francis:
Instead of making the dad play a Mexican, they should have let him play what he really is. Could have added some flavor, instead of the brownfacing. How does a Pacific Islander American deal with two blended families?

And then they could add some throwaway lines about why the bytch mom has a half black son who's a junkie. Would provide a reason why he shoots up, why he seeks out Cal as a best friend and why his sister can engage in that incestuous moment with him. And why Mom can waltz in and feel comfortable circumventing the authority of black cops and black principals.

Mom has preferences. Dad is gone and the kid wants his real Dad back, but mom keeps him out of the picture.

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Just watched the premiere and even giving it the benefit of the doubt as a pilot, it really wasn't that great. The 1st season is 6 episodes, so I'll probably stick with it but there really wasn't anything compelling from a character or storyline perspective that make me think it will turn out to be great.

Pretty much knowing where everything is headed and seeing characters react in foolish ways isn't something I have much interest in right now, especially with so many good shows airing now. There is always the potential for them to tackle an issue with a new light, but that has never been the strong suit of the franchise. Then again I was never one of the people who really cared out how the zombie outbreak started or spread in the OG series :yeshrug:.

Good to see Malik from Suburgatory pop up briefly, if only to disappear half-way thru the episode. Not mad at Lexa from The 100 didn't another paycheck either, even if her character on this seems to be far less interesting than being the leader of The Grounders.

I know what's done is done and the economics of TV make it harder, but I think it would have been more interesting when they decided to do the spin-off if they would have gone with an anthology route like say a Twilight Zone, Black Mirror, etc where each episode is a self contained story set in TWD universe that focuses on a different character/group and you bring in different writers or directors to give their take. That way you could have had some great talent pop up and switch up the tone, maybe go comedic in one episode etc.

I hope I'm wrong, but it wouldn't shock me to see before long that Teacher-Junkie family discovers the real threat aren't the walkers, but people in this new reality :martin: