Religion/Spirituality Theism Discussion (Abrahamic Religions, Religious Philosophy, etc.)

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
What they're doing is fusing science and philosophy.

What if this is a computer engine and god is a mathematician?

noon

Pro
Daps
I also don't think people can be dismissive without evidence. To state that omniscience does not exist, one would have to be omniscient.

Dismissing a claim isn't the same as stating omniscience doesn't exist. Do you not get this?

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Dismissing a claim isn't the same as stating omniscience doesn't exist. Do you not get this?

Dismissing a claim is fine, but you were dismissing a possibility. It's more than reasonable to ask someone for evidence if they assert something but it isn't okay to state something isn't possible without evidence.

noon

Pro
Daps
Dismissing a claim is fine, but you were dismissing a possibility. It's more than reasonable to ask someone for evidence if they assert something but it isn't okay to state something isn't possible without evidence.

I'm not saying something isn't possible. I'm dismissing a claim.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
All I did was point out the flaw in a theist's logic, and then you came at me with some "hands of God" babble.

I wouldn't say lack of proof is a flaw, just a leap of faith. You have every right to dismiss it but to say it's not logical based on what we know currently is stating the obvious :rudy:

noon

Pro
Daps
I wouldn't say lack of proof is a flaw, just a leap of faith. You have every right to dismiss it but to say it's not logical based on what we know currently is stating the obvious :rudy:

Yeah, unfortunately a hell of a lot of people don't get the obvious.

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps

Well that's the position of the atheist. One doesn't have to claim to know a higher force doesn't exist to disbelieve one does.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Well that's the position of the atheist. One doesn't have to claim to know a higher force doesn't exist to disbelieve one does.

I guess. I think that's such a nuanced position that only the most boring person would take up and dedicate time to lauding it.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I Got Game
Daps
Reppin
Sovereignty
Yes. That last part is the part that's without basis. Those of us without religion just do the first bit. Get it?

Sure. You do the research, acknowledge the intricacy, marvel at it in all it's calculated glory and then call it all a coinsidence. That's fine. Who cares?

The only point I came in here to make was that science and religion don't rival each other and anyone who thinks they do doesn't understand one, the other or both. :yeshrug:

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
I guess. I think that's such a nuanced position that only the most boring person would take up and dedicate time to lauding it.

:blink: ....Oookay?

Boring or not, it's the only intellectually honest position someone like me could take. ... Not to mention, the millions of other people who label themselves as atheist, or agnostic atheist.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
:blink: ....Oookay?

Boring or not, it's the only intellectually honest position someone like me could take. ... Not to mention, the millions of other people who label themselves as atheist, or agnostic atheist.

Being "intellectual" is overrated. You lie with the worms. The strongest appeal that an intellectual can make will always fall short of a great emotional appeal. Postmodernism seems to be sound until you realize it's greatest achievement is kid's walking around being ironic :lolbron: