Religion/Spirituality Theism Discussion (Abrahamic Religions, Religious Philosophy, etc.)

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
We can't know that but the possibility must be entertained. If push came to shove I'd say there is a such thing as omniscience.

I don't think that answers my question. Does there exist an objective truth, in your opinion?

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
I don't think that answers my question. Does there exist an objective truth, in your opinion?

Well if there is omniscience then there is objective truth, so yes, but that's my opinion.

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
Well if there is omniscience then there is objective truth, so yes, but that's my opinion.

How can you think there is both an omniscient thing, and that there is no absolute truth? Doesn't this conflict by definition?

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
How can you think there is both an omniscient thing, and that there is no absolute truth? Doesn't this conflict by definition?

I didn't say absolute truth doesn't exist. I said we cannot know. I am of the opinion it does exist despite the lack of evidence.

Mr. Negative

Can't change overnight like Ebenezer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
How does this disprove creationism? Where did the black hole come from?

A lot of you simply don't understand God. :yeshrug:

that's the thing, though:

the non-believer will just point out that because you "simply don't understand" something, you say "God did it" just so it's explained for you.

Science: How did this happen? I don't know. lets grasp at straws.

Religion: How did this happen? God did it.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I Got Game
Daps
Reppin
Sovereignty
that's the thing, though:

the non-believer will just point out that because you "simply don't understand" something, you say "God did it" just so it's explained for you.

You're proving my point with your lack of understanding.

Let me correct for you...

Religion with understanding: How did this happen? *Conducts experiments to come up with scientific explanation and then gives glory to the creator after discovering His work.

Or did man invent gravity before discovering it?

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I Got Game
Daps
Reppin
Sovereignty
:heh: I like the way you opened up by insulting my intelligence when I never said I was for or against your views. See how I said "The Non-believer" and not "I"?

Smug Religious Superiority.

I said you lack understanding based on your quote. I don't care which side of the fence you're on. There's believers and non-believers alike who lack understanding.

ANYBODY, believer or not, who thinks religion and science to be rivals, lacks understanding in one field, the other, or both. :yeshrug:

You took it that way, but that's how you decided to take it.

Mr. Negative

Can't change overnight like Ebenezer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
I said you lack understanding based on your quote. I don't care which side of the fence you're on. There's believers and non-believers alike who lack understanding.

ANYBODY, believer or not, who thinks religion and science to be rivals, lacks understanding in one field, the other, or both. :yeshrug:

You took it that way, but that's how you decided to take it.

I never said they were rivals.

tater

Superstar
Daps
It's just the way people are...

There are people who are NOT Christian, but they don't vaccinate their children, even though there is a A LOT of evidence to prove that vaccination is safe...

I meet non-Christians everyday who trust they local "Natural Therapist" more than a Doctor who has training in Medicine and Pharmacology...People will take some funky concoction of herbs to lower their blood pressure, and refuse to take a drug that was STUDIED and TESTED, and went through human trials for decades before approval...

And to these people, they actually think they are making the right decision because their herbs are "natural" (even though they don't exactly know what is it they are taking)...

How are they any different in spirit than religious nuts...?

So, it's just human nature, people will stick to their beliefs...

Not all the time...whereas many of those natural juices and berries have been working for centuries...they also have science on their side. Obviously not everything natural will work though. Many of those companies are here to make money, obviously oregano and honey are cheaper than vancomycin and penicillin.