Religion/Spirituality Theism Discussion (Abrahamic Religions, Religious Philosophy, etc.)

noon

Pro
Daps
Religion with understanding: How did this happen? *Conducts experiments to come up with scientific explanation and then gives glory to the creator after discovering His work.

Unfortunately though the former does not link up to the latter in any experiment.

Daps
Reppin
me
i just dont understand

they keep amassing this evidence and people are still willing to hold up the bible, which is getting :flabbynsick:'er by the day, as the end-all be all to how we got here :wow:

after conversing & picking the brains of alot of christians (me being atheist)

the best answers i've heard are:

1. they choose to believe in the bible because that's what their parents followed & lived by
2. it's better to believe in god and it not be true, than to not believe and it be true

both are pretty logical to me, i guess it just boils down to those that like to delve deeper into the rabbit hole :manny:

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I Got Game
Daps
Reppin
Sovereignty
Unfortunately though the former does not link up to the latter in any experiment.

And anything you can't come up with an experiment for is automatically nonexistent. Is that a fact?

We'd already distinguished between the believers and the non-believers at that point, so your inability to make the connection doesn't matter.

noon

Pro
Daps
And anything you can't come up with an experiment for is automatically nonexistent. Is that a fact?

Until we can prove its existence, it's just an idea. And we have no reason to believe it does exist. By all means we can keep searching for it, and testing it. Or we spend our lives thinking ghosts, gods, and magic affect our lives.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Until we can prove its existence, it's just an idea. And we have no reason to believe it does exist. By all means we can keep searching for it, and testing it. Or we spend our lives thinking ghosts, gods, and magic affect our lives.

But if you're searching for something that you have no idea if it exist, is it not possible to stumble into the hands of God?

noon

Pro
Daps
But if you're searching for something that you have no idea if it exist, is it not possible to stumble into the hands of God?

What does that even mean? What are the hands of God? If it's your idea you go and prove it. Not us. The burden is with you.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
What does that even mean? What are the hands of God? If it's your idea you go and prove it. Not us. The burden is with you.

It doesn't have to prove shyt. You don't know what you're trying to prove, yourself. I don't believe in a separate omniscient being, but anyone that dismisses it without omniscience themselves, are just as dumb as any religious person.

Basically it boils down to that it's fine if you don't believe, but it's incredibly wrong to parade it around as absolute fact.

noon

Pro
Daps
It doesn't have to prove shyt. You don't know what you're trying to prove, yourself. I don't believe in a separate omniscient being, but anyone that dismisses it without omniscience themselves, are just as dumb as any religious person.

Basically it boils down to that it's fine if you don't believe, but it's incredibly wrong to parade it around as absolute fact.

But I'm making no claims. I just don't buy anyone else's. I'm not parading anything around. I'm just pointing out that scientific finds do not point to God.

noon

Pro
Daps
but anyone that dismisses it without omniscience themselves, are just as dumb as any religious person.

“That which can be claimed without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
How is that dumb? It's not a claim that no god exists. It's just calling out bullshyt.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
But I'm making no claims. I just don't buy anyone else's. I'm not parading anything around. I'm just pointing out that scientific finds do not point to God.

We don't know where they point. That assertion can't be backed. Now if you pick at certain religious deities then such a claim becomes more valid but there is no way to tell whether or not our evidence leads to a higher force or not, since it's incredibly ambiguous.

“That which can be claimed without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
How is that dumb? It's not a claim that no god exists. It's just calling out bullshyt.

I could care less what philosophical quote you use, they have no more or less mental aptitude than you or I. Human discovery of evidence is not the moment something comes into being, obviously.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Then why should anyone give a fukk about gods?

I'm not clear on what you are trying to ask me. I don't think anyone should think it's fact without evidence but I do think people can believe what they want. I also don't think people can be dismissive without evidence. To state that omniscience does not exist, one would have to be omniscient.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I Got Game
Daps
Reppin
Sovereignty

So are you saying all ideas don't exist then? I'm still not clear on your position.

Furthermore, we have no reason to believe any idea exists until we can prove it exists?

I think you're confused as well because this isn't making any logical sense.

Your last sentence brings me back to my original point in this thread. Tunnel vision. You assume a religious person doesn't use scientific reasoning and ascribes everything to "ghosts, gods and magic." It's clear you don't understand God, science and/or both. We search for scientific truth, but at the same time understand God is the author of the laws we discover.