Religion/Spirituality Theism Discussion (Abrahamic Religions, Religious Philosophy, etc.)

BlvdBrawler

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sure. But, I'd say the big bang event most likely did occur. The only thing that's really up for debate is how or why this might have happened, what happened before, or if it even makes sense to have a "before" the big bang. Saying I don't know is a completely valid response to those questions ... the only intellectually honest position, I'd say. But there are those that think they have the answer... those are the people I take issue with.

Of course it occurred. The rapid expansion of the universe is still occurring; we can observe it. Like you said, it doesn't in any way answer all of our questions, though. Just another piece of the puzzle.

noon

Pro
Daps
The only point I came in here to make was that science and religion don't rival each other and anyone who thinks they do doesn't understand one, the other or both. :yeshrug:

What part of science or religion don't I understand if I think the a man built from dust and a woman from a rib rivals scientific thinking?

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Of course it occurred. The rapid expansion of the universe is still occurring; we can observe it. Like you said, it doesn't in any way answer all of our questions, though. Just another piece of the puzzle.

You assume there is a puzzle or there is an answer. There is no evidence to confirm that position.

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
You assume there is a puzzle or there is an answer. There is no evidence to confirm that position.

But what's the alternative? There is no cause for the universe? How is that a reasonable position?

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I Got Game
Daps
Reppin
Sovereignty
What part of science or religion don't I understand if I think the a man built from dust and a woman from a rib rivals scientific thinking?

If you're taking everything written in a religious book literally, as scientific fact, then I would say there's a lot you don't understand. :yeshrug:

noon

Pro
Daps
Is this a rhetorical question? Why not just use common sense. :yeshrug:

No religious book was ever intended to be a science book so only a fool would use it as such.

Haha! Brilliant. What about how to treat your slaves? Or treating gays? Or eating shellfish? No science there (obviously).

noon

Pro
Daps
No seriously. If you have a book supposedly orated by the creator of the universe, how do you choose which parts you take literally and which parts you don't? And if you're sticking with 'common sense' as your answer, tell me why this sense really isn't so common, as various factions of Christianity alone don't agree on which parts to take literally?

the cac mamba

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
2. it's better to believe in god and it not be true, than to not believe and it be true
the thing about pascals wager is that you're talking about one god. there are thousands of gods that have existed throughout history, and an atheist only believes in ONE less than a christian/muslim/idiot. thats why i dont buy into that argument

lets be honest, billions will tell you that jesus is the only way to salvation, while billions will tell you that's false :laff:. imo that simple fact deads the entire argument over whether or not this bullshyt should be relevant

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
the thing about pascals wager is that you're talking about one god. there are thousands of gods that have existed throughout history, and an atheist only believes in ONE less than a christian/muslim/idiot. thats why i dont buy into that argument

lets be honest, billions will tell you that jesus is the only way to salvation, while billions will tell you that's false :laff:. imo that simple fact deads the entire argument over whether or not this bullshyt should be relevant

460-nicolas-cage_862844c.jpeg