THEE TOP 50 YEARS BY A RAP GROUP(2017 Migos Get Inducted)

Xtz23

All Star
Daps
how?

the hot boys were more popular
bigger wave
had bigger hits
sold more records
made more history
etc etc

400 degreez run trumps tical by a considerable margin.
Whoa! :whoa:Chill :mjlol:

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Whoa! :whoa:Chill :mjlol:

its the truth tho.

no way around it.:smugfavre:

That was clipse best album tho and I put it up there with the all time greatest albums. Idk how much it sold but that's irrelevant because that's one of the best albums ever in my personal opinion. 8ball and mjg are the greatest south duo but that's debatable because some like ugk some like outkast:manny:

I don't think you understand the concept of this list breh.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
how?

the hot boys were more popular
bigger wave
had bigger hits
sold more records
made more history
etc etc

400 degreez run trumps tical by a considerable margin.
They were both massively popular groups.
They debuted during different eras. Less regionalism in 98-99 then in 93/94. Sales as a whole were higher.
Bigger hits judging by what metric? Billboard? 98-99 was a different game.
Wu and Meth got more classic singles from that era.
Both groups sold well, record sales aren't that important in this discussion.
Made more history? How?
400 Degreez had two big singles. Just like Tical. Tical > 400 Degreez. Plus, Meth was following a classic. Juvenile was the first up. It's different.
No flood. Etc.
36 trumps anything Hot Boys ever did. By a very wide margin.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Yes but arent we talking groups during their biggest years so wouldnt 97 be wus year?

ehh. it was their most hyped up year. their peak in terms of mainstream exposure & hype.

but they take hits in the other categories. they lost steam during that forever run.

'94 was the better overall year for them as a group.
'95-96 may have been the strongest years for the wutang, but there was no group work during that period..

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
They were both massively popular groups.
They debuted during different eras. Less regionalism in 98-99 then in 93/94. Sales as a whole were higher.
Bigger hits judging by what metric? Billboard? 98-99 was a different game.
Wu and Meth got more classic singles from that era.
Both groups sold well, record sales aren't that important in this discussion.
Made more history? How?
400 Degreez had two big singles. Just like Tical. Tical > 400 Degreez. Plus, Meth was following a classic. Juvenile was the first up. It's different.
No flood. Etc.
36 trumps anything Hot Boys ever did. By a very wide margin.

actually sales are more important than classic albums in this discussion.

besides, the whole classic argument is subjective, especially when dealing with groups on 2 different spectrums. a more purist type will pass off a 4 mic quality album from a wutang type group, as a classic. then they'll turn around and downplay a classic from somebody like the hot boys.......and that's exactly what youre doing right now, by trying to say that tical is better than 400 degreez.:laugh:

as far as history goes, no limit did the heavy lifting, but the movement that cash money had on the east coast was unheard of for a southern crew. the tours that were spawned off of this run, the whole 9. not to mention, juvenile breaking records on TRL with a cheap hood video.
EDIT: and most importantly, they changed culture.

and they did more with less, in comparison to wutang. another reason why they go over them.
and again, they were more popular than Wutang across the map.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
THESE DEBATES ARE WHAT THESE LISTS ARE ALL ABOUT

I LOVE HIP-HOP MAYNE.

:to:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
actually sales are more important than classic albums in this discussion.
If that's the case, then this discussion isn't really for me
giphy.gif

besides, the whole classic argument is subjective, especially when dealing with groups on 2 different spectrums. a more purist type will pass off a 4 mic quality album from a wutang type group, as a classic. then they'll turn around and downplay a classic from somebody like the hot boys.......and that's exactly what youre doing right now, by trying to say that tical is better than 400 degreez.
That's fair. I'm not saying Tical is a classic by any stretch. But 400 is a 3-3.5 mic album to me. Being objective, It's held in higher regard.
36 Chambers is held in higher regard than anything Hot Boyz related though.
and they did more with less, in comparison to wutang.
What does this mean?
I would argue the opposite.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
murda muzik is mobb deep's best-seller but '95 was their biggest year. mobb deep is a group that didn't put it all together at once. if they had murda muzik's sales with the infamous' buzz, then they would be on the list, and HIGH.
:picard:
This is inconsistent. Infamous sold about what Low End Theory did. Why isn't Tribe not on the list?
You know Infamous went gold in a couple months and ended up doing around 800,000 right?
Sales for the Infamous was a point of pride for NY at the time. :wow:
And even then 99 could be argued. Two massive singles. :wow:
The hype from the bootlegs. :wow:
The massive anticipation. :wow:
The quality album combined with the sales :wow:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
If that's the case, then this discussion isn't really for me

That's fair. I'm not saying Tical is a classic by any stretch. But 400 is a 3-3.5 mic album to me. Being objective, It's held in higher regard.
36 Chambers is held in higher regard than anything Hot Boyz related though.

What does this mean?
I would argue the opposite.

I left out the best part about the hot boys making history - THEY CHANGED CULTURE.

wutang had a bigger overall push by media.
yea you can say cash money singles got more play, but I'm talking about how wutang had a primetime special on mtv when their debut album was still selling poorly.
and the way media has basically brain-trained us to hold wutang in the highest of regard.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
:picard:
This is inconsistent. Infamous sold about what Low End Theory did. Why isn't Tribe not on the list?
You know Infamous went gold in a couple months and ended up doing around 800,000 right?
Sales for the Infamous was a point of pride for NY at the time. :wow:
And even then 99 could be argued. Two massive singles. :wow:
The hype from the bootlegs. :wow:
The massive anticipation. :wow:
The quality album combined with the sales :wow:

good points. and I like how you gave me a group to replace them with.
but tribe went platinum. plus they were both a transcendant & trailblazing group. rough comparison cuz theyre kinda on for different reasons.

as for murda muzik, "its mine" was not massive breh.
I think the push-backs hurt it a lil bit, as it ended up droppin in the midst of ruff ryder mania, and the next era had already taken shape, making mobb look a lil :old: it kinda shows the difference that mere months could make back then. they had a nice run with that tho, but it could've been better.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
yea you can say cash money singles got more play, but I'm talking about how wutang had a primetime special on mtv when their debut album was still selling poorly.
and the way media has basically brain-trained us to hold wutang in the highest of regard.
Cash money was signed directly to Universal weren't they? They definitely got a bigger push than Wu in 94. Who were signed to Loud. Which had a cubicle at RCA.
That primetime special didn't help nearly as much as the Universal machine pushing Cash money full force.
I don't believe in media brainwashing. :yeshrug:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Cash money was signed directly to Universal weren't they? They definitely got a bigger push than Wu in 94. Who were signed to Loud. Which had a cubicle at RCA.
That primetime special didn't help nearly as much as the Universal machine pushing Cash money full force.
I don't believe in media brainwashing. :yeshrug:

the primetime special didn't help, simply because it failed.
they fact remains, they received an undeserved special.

I agree that in terms of aiming at sales, cash money got the better push via radio play. but in terms of aiming for status, media-brainwashing IS REAL chief.