"The X-Files" limited series/Season 10 thread (4/20/17 update: Renewed for season 11)

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I was actually skimming through the thread and saw the fukkery.

I think it was @Ed MOTHEREFFING G he did that too :heh:

He was tight. But the illest shyt was when a mod called him on it, saying we didn't make you an architect to edit posts he says "my bad" like he didn't know the shyt was wrong

tumblr_maz3ijetwf1rhv96io1_500.gif

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Yeah. Awful. I thought about it this morning and just felt :mjcry: As a huge huge fan of the show and also as someone that moved on, it's crazy seeing die hard lovers of the show either defending and.or trying to justify that mess of an episode last night.

I'll keep watching because the monster of the week episodes should be more fun. They shouldn't have even tried to do a mythology arc with 6 episodes. What sticks out to me is that the show just isn't that great, and in 2016 that might as well be bad. There is SO much good television on that dragging out that corpse of an episode last night was sad on many levels. It's like Chris Carter just googled modern conspiracies and tried to throw them all together. X-Files was good but the best eps were from other writers and directors IMO. TV was a shyt medium for dramas in the 90's besides a few things like X-Files, NYPD Blue, a very very few select shows. Not everyone will get this analogy but it's like TXF is like how GSP came into the UFC and was super advanced compared toe everyone else. But now the sport of MMA is so advanced even beyond that level.

If you liked The X-Files, but moved on to enjoy Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Shield, Justified, Mr. Robot, Jessica Jones, Homeland, (I could go on and on) or hell even Hannibal if you want to include a show on basic cable...I can't see how this X-Files reboot could entertain you. Chris Carter should've done a George Lucas and handed this off to a better writer/director, or gotten it on another network, pushed for more episodes, anything other than that premier. It's been years since I've seen a premier that was so rushed, with so much expository dialogue, so much cheesy CGI, lack of chemistry, I mean you name it. It was moving so fast that I thought I'd missed scenes. 2-3 times I thought maybe I missed a scene that would explain what I was seeing.

Not hopeful, but I'll stick around and watch the shyt show.
I was on a high after watching my Broncos make the super bowl I was like hell yeah, watch the ncf game which sucked, rolled a spliff ready to watch the x files and after 10 mins I was :usure:

After half hour:russell:

At the end :shaq2:

I'll check it out tonight I guess :patrice:

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
So many questions?
Why was Scully sewing ears on children? :whatthefukk:

Isn't she a forensic pathologist, they are not pediatric surgeons

How the fukk is the Smoking Man still alive? :mindblown:

If the missile didn't kill him, shouldn't the cigarettes?

Skinner is still working for the FBI? :whatthefukk:
Shouldn't that mofo be retired by now

Is Mulder a 9/11 truther? :beli:

God what a terrible fukken episode.

Not gonna lie brehs, I am not a hardcore X-files fan. I think I stopped watching middle of Season 4. Remember when Scully gets pregnant by aliens or some shyt? :beli:
I was like :comeon:at this bullshyt.
That show was a hot mess when you think about it. Duchovny left for one season because he wanted either wanted more money or he hated doing the X-files.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
@MartyMcFly @hexagram23 Is it safe to watch this if you haven't finished watching the original series?

I heard only 2 of the episodes (the Premiere & the finale) are gonna be Mytharc episodes, while the the other 4 epsiodes are standalone/monster-of-the-week episodes. So I expect @Prodigal Syndicate to hate it.

How far along are you in the original?

From the first episode it appears its a soft reboot and the last few seasons look like they don't matter at all. So personally I'd say youre safe to watch.

And funny enough I think some of the monster of the week stuff is the stuff that holds up the best from the original show so maybe I'll like it better than the dismal first episode. :heh:

I still haven't finished Season 1.

Nikka if you wanna watch the show just watch the show. I haven't seen all 200 episodes of the X files but I wanted to watch it. Drop that safe shyt lol. You get enough of an info dump in the first episode to catch up and fill in the blanks.
:patrice: I did that with "24: Live Another Day" a couple years ago. Sorta wished I had waited till after I had finished watching the "24" original series. But I didn't want to miss the week-to-week disscussions & reviews.

I just got back into "Prison Break" so I can be finished when, the limited series airs later this year.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I still haven't finished Season 1.

:patrice: I did that with "24: Live Another Day" a couple years ago. Sorta wished I had waited till after I had finished watching the "24" original series. But I didn't want to miss the week-to-week disscussions & reviews.

I just got back into "Prison Break" so I can be finished when, the limited series airs later this year.

Breh live another day really was self contained tho. I mean yeah you don't have the weight of knowing all the shyt Jack went through before and some of the outrageous moments might be missed on you but for the most part, you could watch that and enjoy the hell out of it since it was a limited series and designed with the purpose of being self contained so that anyone could watch it and not be lost. The only real continuity is Audrey and Jack's relationship but there's barely any time paid to that

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
So many questions?
Why was Scully sewing ears on children? :whatthefukk:

Isn't she a forensic pathologist, they are not pediatric surgeons

How the fukk is the Smoking Man still alive? :mindblown:

If the missile didn't kill him, shouldn't the cigarettes?

Skinner is still working for the FBI? :whatthefukk:
Shouldn't that mofo be retired by now

Is Mulder a 9/11 truther? :beli:

God what a terrible fukken episode.

Not gonna lie brehs, I am not a hardcore X-files fan. I think I stopped watching middle of Season 4. Remember when Scully gets pregnant by aliens or some shyt? :beli:
I was like :comeon:at this bullshyt.
That show was a hot mess when you think about it. Duchovny left for one season because he wanted either wanted more money or he hated doing the X-files.

To answer the first bolded, he's alive because of fan service. No other reason. Whatever reason they give us will be :mindblown::heh:

At the second bolded, Duchovny was only in like 9 or 10 episodes of the last 2 seasons (seasons 8 and 9). His contract was for 7 seasons and he was like "fukk this, I'm out" as soon as he was able to go. They gave him some cash and convinced him to show up now and again, but he's basically gone the entire last 2 seasons. Gillian Anderson's contract was for 8 seasons. I'm not sure what convinced her to do season 9, because I'm pretty sure she also didn't enjoy making the show all that much (DD and GA both were known for not really getting along and/or not enjoying making the show at a certain point), but maybe they gave her a really good contract to stick around for one final season I guess.
:manny: Also, why they both were signed to different contract lengths, I have no idea.

BTW I don't remember when but David Duchovny hated filming in Vancouver and eventually got them to move to show to California so he could be closer to his family, but it was near the end of his tenure on the show and the atmosphere and vibe got considerably worse when they left Vancouver, and then he bounced from the show. Then it got very Larry Holmes status. Also, Duchovny is an overrated actor and worked best on Californication because he was basically being his actual self. Every attempt he made after X-Files and before Californication to do movies or other shows failed miserably.

Actually now that I think about it, The X-Files could probably do best as a modern TV show with two brand new actors. People hated Robert Patrick and that other lady on there at the time, but with almost 15 years since the show went off the sir, I bet it could do way better with a total reboot, and not one using characters that Duchovny and Anderson don't give a fukk about playing anymore.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
There was 9 Seasons of this show? :mindblown:

Wasn't there two movies too?

Maybe this show just needs to die? :ld:
There was 9 seasons and 2 movies, yeah. They made the first movie between season 5 and season 6, and it was a "mythology" (major story) based movie. The 2nd movie in the late 00's I barely remember, but it was a monster of the week style episode just drawn out to a longer run time. It was very forgettable.

These seasons were all 24 episodes too, so they ran way the fukk out of ideas. Anything after Season 5 is skippable. Season 5 delivered some awesome moments, and it's worth staying around for. If you really like the show, it's worth it to watch season 6 as well, but you can end it at the end of Season 5 and it would be satisfying. Season 6 starts the downward spiral into garbage and is also when they moved the show to California and a lot of the atmosphere went away and there were some garbage episodes that season.

The prime of the show IMO was seasons 2-4, and some of season 5.

The show really hit its stride on season 3, started coasting during season 5, and started falling off the rails after season 5 aside from a very small handful of decent episodes during season 6 (including 2 from Breaking Bad creator/writer Vince Gilligan called Dreamland 1 and Dreamland 2).

I contend that most TV shows are able to do a 3-4 great season run if they're lucky, and The X-Files had 3 truly great season IMO. Season 2 was dope also, and 5 wasn't bad at all, but 3 and 4 are hands down the best.

Last edited:

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
There was 9 Seasons of this show? :mindblown:

Wasn't there two movies too?

Maybe this show just needs to die? :ld:
Yeah. Seasons 1-5 were its height. It got worse every season after that. Seasons 8 and 9 are downright terrible.

They pretty much wrapped up the original arc after season 5 and have been winging it since.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Yeah. Seasons 1-5 were its height. It got worse every season after that. Seasons 8 and 9 are downright terrible.

They pretty much wrapped up the original arc after season 5 and have been winging it since.

Yep. I'm trying to remember what new elements the movie between S5 and S6 added to the mythology? It was cool at the time but I don't remember it adding much to the story.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
There was 9 seasons and 2 movies, yeah. They made the first movie between season 5 and season 6, and it was a "mythology" (major story) based movie. The 2nd movie in the late 00's I barely remember, but it was a monster of the week style episode just drawn out to a longer run time. It was very forgettable.

These seasons were all 24 episodes too, so they ran way the fukk out of ideas. Anything after Season 5 is skippable. Season 5 delivered some awesome moments, and it's worth staying around for. If you really like the show, it's worth it to watch season 6 as well, but you can end it at the end of Season 5 and it would be satisfying. Season 6 starts the downward spiral into garbage and is also when they moved the show to California and a lot of the atmosphere went away and there were some garbage episodes that season.

The prime of the show IMO was seasons 2-4, and some of season 5.

The show really hit its stride on season 3, started coasting during season 5, and started falling off the rails after season 5 aside from a very small handful of decent episodes during season 6 (including 2 from Breaing Bad creator/writer Vince Gilligan called Dreamland 1 and Dreamland 2).

I contend that most TV shows are able to do a 3-4 great season run if they're lucky, and The X-Files had 3 truly great season IMO. Season 2 was dope also, and 5 wasn't bad at all, but 3 and 4 are hands down the best.
I remember when they decided to move the show away from vancouver,I live in van.

My moms is still :pacspit::pacspit: at Duchovny to this day over that :pachaha:

I'm probably one of 2 people,but I always liked Millenium better than x-files :yeshrug:

Im still mad at chris carter ruining millenium by coming back to the show in the 3rd season and rebooting it.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
New featurette:

Creator Chris Carter and Production Designer Mark Freeborn take you behind the scenes of the premiere episode and discuss Alien Replica Vehicles.

Generic promos:

A U.F.O has crash landed at The Grove in Los Angeles, CA.

Glen Morgan won’t tell you anything… but he will show you a little something from THE X-FILES.

Chris Carter won’t tell you anything… but he will show you a little something from THE X-FILES.

William B. Davis won’t tell you anything… but he will show you a little something from THE X-FILES.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
@MartyMcFly @hexagram23 Is it safe to watch this if you haven't finished watching the original series?

I heard only 2 of the episodes (the Premiere & the finale) are gonna be Mytharc episodes, while the the other 4 epsiodes are standalone/monster-of-the-week episodes. So I expect @Prodigal Syndicate to hate it.

Yeah, the original mythology is so convoluted at this point it's like asking "should I read a Wolverine comic"? They rebooted his origin so many times you can completely ignore all of it and hop in basically at any point.

Having said that, the original run, specifically the first 6 seasons, are some of the best TV in history. So watch it at some point if you get a chance.

Fred.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
From the first episode it appears its a soft reboot and the last few seasons look like they don't matter at all.
actually this is also a gripe with me

if youre a newbie to the show, I dont see a reason to watch this...Id prolly turn this off after 15 mins.
if youre a big fan of the og, at some point you're like :mindblown: they really went the 'it was all a dream/lie' route ? really ? all those years were just swept under the rug like 'nah fukk that' :patrice: I hope thats just a plot device, but if youre an og fan you prolly feelin a bit cheated. kinda like when you play a telltale-like game when all your choices never really mattered. except in this case its a show with 7 very good seasons or so and like 4 GREAT seasons.

I agree about motw. I actually think the fans were equally divided. some loved mythology, some loved the motw. personally I liked both, but mythology was always heavier/dragging/epic with no satisfyinhg resolutions for most part. motw had some real dope moments. and the best episodes were when everyone was just fukking around, like 'bad blood'.