"The X-Files" limited series/Season 10 thread (4/20/17 update: Renewed for season 11)

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
@MartyMcFly @hexagram23 Is it safe to watch this if you haven't finished watching the original series?

I heard only 2 of the episodes (the Premiere & the finale) are gonna be Mytharc episodes, while the the other 4 epsiodes are standalone/monster-of-the-week episodes. So I expect @Prodigal Syndicate to hate it.

Nikka if you wanna watch the show just watch the show. I haven't seen all 200 episodes of the X files but I wanted to watch it. Drop that safe shyt lol. You get enough of an info dump in the first episode to catch up and fill in the blanks.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hope this get progressively better, seems like everyone but abducted spanish chick, we're pretty much sleepwalking in their roles; and the writing was pretty meh as well.

Alfred0Santana

I used to drop Lewinsky off at the White House.
Daps
I'm working my way through the X Files now and still peeped it. I thought it was a pretty good episode :manny:. I'm in. Seeing all this stuff being talked about on TV is crazy.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Tried watching this again...terrible.
Yeah. Awful. I thought about it this morning and just felt :mjcry: As a huge huge fan of the show and also as someone that moved on, it's crazy seeing die hard lovers of the show either defending and.or trying to justify that mess of an episode last night.

I'll keep watching because the monster of the week episodes should be more fun. They shouldn't have even tried to do a mythology arc with 6 episodes. What sticks out to me is that the show just isn't that great, and in 2016 that might as well be bad. There is SO much good television on that dragging out that corpse of an episode last night was sad on many levels. It's like Chris Carter just googled modern conspiracies and tried to throw them all together. X-Files was good but the best eps were from other writers and directors IMO. TV was a shyt medium for dramas in the 90's besides a few things like X-Files, NYPD Blue, a very very few select shows. Not everyone will get this analogy but it's like TXF is like how GSP came into the UFC and was super advanced compared toe everyone else. But now the sport of MMA is so advanced even beyond that level.

If you liked The X-Files, but moved on to enjoy Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Shield, Justified, Mr. Robot, Jessica Jones, Homeland, (I could go on and on) or hell even Hannibal if you want to include a show on basic cable...I can't see how this X-Files reboot could entertain you. Chris Carter should've done a George Lucas and handed this off to a better writer/director, or gotten it on another network, pushed for more episodes, anything other than that premier. It's been years since I've seen a premier that was so rushed, with so much expository dialogue, so much cheesy CGI, lack of chemistry, I mean you name it. It was moving so fast that I thought I'd missed scenes. 2-3 times I thought maybe I missed a scene that would explain what I was seeing.

Not hopeful, but I'll stick around and watch the shyt show.

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:whoa: calm down raylan

giphy.gif
he made the thread breh :russ: why would he make the thread if he's not even watching the show. It's almost like he did it for stats or attention. That'd be like you making a Thor 3 thread

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
giphy.gif
he made the thread breh :russ: why would he make the thread if he's not even watching the show. It's almost like he did it for stats or attention. That'd be like you making a Thor 3 thread
@satam55 can't be explained. His A.I. is so far advanced beyond what humans are capable of that we have no idea how to comprehend what is going on.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
@MartyMcFly @hexagram23 Is it safe to watch this if you haven't finished watching the original series?

I heard only 2 of the episodes (the Premiere & the finale) are gonna be Mytharc episodes, while the the other 4 epsiodes are standalone/monster-of-the-week episodes. So I expect @Prodigal Syndicate to hate it.
I'd say it's better to watch this now if you haven;t finished the OG series. They don't even reference much of the OG series and if anything they undid damn near all of if not all of the mythology (we'll see after the finale, but it appears that way.) So it's basically a soft reboot IMO. I'd go ahead and dive into this if you want to watch it. No need to finish the old series, but @MartyMcFly and @hexagram23 may disagree.

If anything you have it completely backwards. Older shows had conditioned people to want instant gratification,thats why old people like shows like law and order and csi and ncis.

In fact,most fans of x-files loved the monster of the week stuff far more than they did the mythology episodes.

Totally. TXF largely lived and died on the quality of its monster of the week eps. The best writing, character interactions, best humor, and most memorable moments of the show came from many of the MOTW eps. The mythology was dope and pretty good until seasons 5-6 or so
when the rebels got introduced; Cassandra Spender; etc.
It was still good and I followed the mythology strongly until season 6 ended, and to me that's basically where the show ended. Seasons 7-9 I barely remember the mythology arc besides a few things
like the super soldiers.
The mythology episodes were dope early on but if you list the best ten episodes of the show, I'd say 2/3rd wouldn't be mythology episodes. A great example is Dreamland 1 and 2. Those are technically considered mythology episodes, but they had a very MOTW feel to them, and I think Vince Gilligan actually wrote those. I'm sure Hex knows.

Same problem with bringin back 24. All these old network shows are too dated at this point.

24 is coming back? :dwillhuh:

I agree completely with everything you said.

The UFO stuff was mysterious and the reason why Mulder became what he is, but I really wish they would not focus on that. It would be cool if the reboot focused on the paranormal activity that occurs and have Mulder/Scully investigate that.

Yeah UFOs aren't even talked about that much anymore. Conspiracy stuff these days is all NWO type shyt and I think they're at least trying to move towards that. I think most of this season will be them investigating little paranormal stuff ("monster of the week" episodes)

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Same problem with bringin back 24. All these old network shows are too dated at this point. Tv has improved too much. No disrespect meant either caus both -24 and xflies are classics

I hate how fox and the networks can't come up with anything knew so they just do spinoffs and reboots, or straight up copy cable shows like they did with the Americans

shyt, I want Almost Human back, Fox couldn't let the ride for 2 seasons?

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
@satam55 can't be explained. His A.I. is so far advanced beyond what humans are capable of that we have no idea how to comprehend what is going on.

Keep forgetting you said that man is an A.I.:mjlol: you should've been in the golden globes thread when he edited someone's post and shyt got serious:russ:

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'd say it's better to watch this now if you haven;t finished the OG series. They don't even reference much of the OG series and if anything they undid damn near all of if not all of the mythology (we'll see after the finale, but it appears that way.) So it's basically a soft reboot IMO. I'd go ahead and dive into this if you want to watch it. No need to finish the old series, but @MartyMcFly and @hexagram23 may disagree.

Totally. TXF largely lived and died on the quality of its monster of the week eps. The best writing, character interactions, best humor, and most memorable moments of the show came from many of the MOTW eps. The mythology was dope and pretty good until seasons 5-6 or so
when the rebels got introduced; Cassandra Spender; etc.
It was still good and I followed the mythology strongly until season 6 ended, and to me that's basically where the show ended. Seasons 7-9 I barely remember the mythology arc besides a few things
like the super soldiers.
The mythology episodes were dope early on but if you list the best ten episodes of the show, I'd say 2/3rd wouldn't be mythology episodes. A great example is Dreamland 1 and 2. Those are technically considered mythology episodes, but they had a very MOTW feel to them, and I think Vince Gilligan actually wrote those. I'm sure Hex knows.

24 is coming back? :dwillhuh:

Yeah UFOs aren't even talked about that much anymore. Conspiracy stuff these days is all NWO type shyt and I think they're at least trying to move towards that. I think most of this season will be them investigating little paranormal stuff ("monster of the week" episodes)
They brought 24 back briefly last year and it was awful. And they're bringing it back again permanently with a new lead