The worst betrayal in The Godfather (well second because I'm sure Fredo would be #1)

If you think any of these are worse than Fredo, speak up

• Tessio setting up Michael to be killed

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • Pentangelli ALMOST ratting on the family before being strong armed

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Fabrizio in Italy placing the bomb to kill Michael, killing Appelonia

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • The secret Abortion

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Carlo setting up Sonny

Votes: 23 31.5%
  • Hymen Roth setting up Michael for death, on two occasions

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Paulie setting up vito / Clemenza

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Cicci for straight up testifying on the family in court

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • osu sucks

Votes: 6 8.2%

• Total voters

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
:childplease: That was one of the most justified murders in the entire trilogy.

He was responsible for shooters hitting him in his home

IN HIS HOME :damn:

IN HIS BEDROOM WHERE HIS WIFE SLEEPS :damn:

Where his children come and play with their toys :demonic:

He betrayed the family, for his own gain. By the rules of La Costa Nostra he had to go. He out of respect let him live to say goodbye to their mother....fukk Fredo Corleone.
Michael should have banished Fredo to Thailand or some ish so he could live out his days in misery and whores.

On fredo defense though he wasn't crossing Michael with the intention that he would be shot up though right?.

Fro. What I understand Fredo was trying to make a move so he could seem useful and like he did some shyt...he didn't know he was being used to undermine Michael nor have him killed.

I can't remember what info he gave up though I gotta rewatch again.

Sidenote in the novel Mike cuts off his sister credit when she was on a cross Atlantic cruise with her new husband and so she divorced him and decided to kiss the ring and return to the family.

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I wouldn't say Tessio was the worst and Michael seemed to agree. It was the smart move. I assume a removal of Michael would have resulted in Tessio and his regime taking over the Corleone family. Either overtly (Tessio as the new don) or covertly (Fredo becomes don, with Tessio being the all powerful consigliere). Whereas with Fredo he sold his family out for a piece of action. That's far worse.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I wouldn't say Tessio was the worst and Michael seemed to agree. It was the smart move. I assume a removal of Michael would have resulted in Tessio and his regime taking over the Corleone family. Either overtly (Tessio as the new don) or covertly (Fredo becomes don, with Tessio being the all powerful consigliere). Whereas with Fredo he sold his family out for a piece of action. That's far worse.
Fair, but I can't get past how Tessio was a day 1, he was a founder of the entire thing of theirs, and he was there when Michael was born, etc...to set up a meeting where Michael certainly would've been killed at Vito's funeral was an underrated betrayal. Really heinous to me.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Honestly I think he decided Fredo had to go when Fredo said he was "smart." The contempt Michael showed in his face after that...
It was disgust, that Fredo's insecurities allowed him to be manipulated.
Same look he had when Moe Green said, "So, I had to slap Fredo around, to straighten him out"
"Straighten out my brother?"

Fredo is weak. That's what turns his stomache. But he was dead the minute he set Michael up. He was of no use to the others if Mike died.

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
It was disgust, that Fredo's insecurities allowed him to be manipulated.
Same look he had when Moe Green said, "So, I had to slap Fredo around, to straighten him out"
"Straighten out my brother?"

Fredo is weak. That's what turns his stomache. But he was dead the minute he set Michael up. He was of no use to the others if Mike died.
He was banging cocktail waitresses….two at a time
What’s the matter with you?

Personally Carlo’s betrayal was the worst because it set off a cascade of events not just Sonny getting hemmed up.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Tessio's turn was bad but even the family said it was the "smart move to make" but on another angle, Sonny was the way bigger f*ck up even way more than Fredo imo. Him agreeing with the Turk on the drug deal sit down made the Don Vito expendable, got him shot clapped up, and started up the entire war between the families. It also led to his later death at the toll booth with the help of Carlo.

Last edited:

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali

He betrayed the family, for his own gain. By the rules of La Costa Nostra he had to go. He out of respect let him live to say goodbye to their mother....fukk Fredo Corleone.
Fredo didn't know all of that was going to happen though. He just thought he was making some dough and some plays on the side. He never could get over their pops passing him up for Michael to take charge of the family, which was the smarter and right move of course. Mike should've let him live in the end though.

BulletProof

Just a B@stard Living in a Suit
Daps
Reppin
Neck ties and boxing gloves.

Pacino's vocal approach to that scene was a sign of the yell acting to come.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Fair, but I can't get past how Tessio was a day 1, he was a founder of the entire thing of theirs, and he was there when Michael was born, etc...to set up a meeting where Michael certainly would've been killed at Vito's funeral was an underrated betrayal. Really heinous to me.
True. Then again from Tessio's perspective, Michael was in over his head. Wasn't fighting back in the war, wasn't allowing his capos to fight back, etc. And the big move he was making - building his own regime/soldiers under Rocco - was hidden. If you were Tessio or Clemenza you'd be prob be like what the fukk is going on, this kid is gonna get us killed.

BulletProof

Just a B@stard Living in a Suit
Daps
Reppin
Neck ties and boxing gloves.
"ROCCO :damn:

:ufdup: ALIVE :damn:"

His yelling at least felt real during gf2 :heh: it's in Scarface where he becomes a parody lol
Its his seemless jumping between not yelling to yelling and back to yelling to not yelling within the same god damn sentence that became his trademark.

Imagine if he was giving you instructions on how to diffuse a bomb in a high stakes situation like at a school or something.