The Woman King is one of the best movies I ever watched, controversy be damned

Tair

Superstar
Daps
Just a movie?! it's sad that in 2022 people like you have no idea the impact media has :francis:

Those types argue you to death, then later when the ramifications are felt start talking about, "who could've known???"

We were on code when we wanted to axe the Confederate show HBO was trying to produce, but now people are up in arms because some of us are staying consistent.

They better hope HBO (or another network) doesn't decide to just produce that Confederate show (or a similar show) again because they wouldn't be able to say a damn thing without looking like complete fools.

:dead:

Last edited:

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
I never heard ppl hyping a movie up but not saying nothing before release or when trailers was out

VoxSphere74

Banned
Daps
:mjlol: Trash take. Damn Girls Trip made $31m the first week. :dead:
Girls trip was a fun comedy. This is a historic African epic film that no studio wanted to fund because it "wouldn't make money." :mjpls:

So the cac studios were on the side of the anti-Africa brigade. Which they probably didn't know.

And when pushed only offered 5 million for the budget. Which would probably cover one episode of Game of Thrones.

Then Black Panther happens and suddenly they're interested in making it.
What’s the controversy?

Edit: yeah just read up on it. Trash ass movie.
Imagine a film being made glorifying Hitler’s regime. Wouldn’t happen. Whole fukking lineage full of c00ns.
Hitler was genocidal. The Dahomey were slavers. No different from the Spartans, Romans, Mali Empire, Ashanti Empire, Oro, Kongo, etc...

And someone mentioned that they wanted fantasy movies/shows on Africa not semi reality movies like this.

Which is a reasonable opinion. Reality is grey and disappointing. In Africa as elsewhere there were very few true heroes or villains, just people making money off anything that was profitable.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What he also fails to understand is that you can't separate your enslaved African ancestors from their lineages.

Our enslaved ancestors were most likely sold by warring tribes that we ALSO descend from, who could have been captured and sold by another warring tribe later.

Most of us have genetic makeup from the area of Benin/Togo which means most of us have lineage from the Dahomeys.

The enslaved weren't segregated when they got to America. They were all forced to mix with each other. That Senegambia blood that we got, guess what, that came from ancestors who belonged to the Mali, Songhay, and Fula empires that were slave traders. That Nigerian blood that we have, guess what, it could've came from the Ijaw, Ibibio, and Efik tribes that were slave traders. The Igbo practiced their own form of slavery, and many of us are descended from them.

Are we gonna demand that all of these kingdoms and chiefdoms be portrayed as savages?

The white anglo saxon protestants of the Northeast ancestors (the Puritans) were being sent to the guillotine and burned at the stake by their own countryman in England, which was the catalyst for them having to flee to America. Do you hear the WASP demanding that England be portrayed as a tyrannical empire in the media? Even after a whole war with England, the US maintains it's closest ties to England due in part to many of those WASP in the Northeast. You'll never hear them talking down on that empire.

A lot of these brehs move like a truly vanquished people with no power sounding like whiney children. It's embarrassing.

I had that same thought.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My ancestors are those that were enslaved in the USA, built this country up, freed themselves, and fought for my right to exist.

I don't relate to Africa. Once my ancestors left Africa on slaveships, we stopped being African.

There's no difference between the Dahomey and a white supremacist slavemaster in my eyes.

:manny:

Ancestry can’t be deleted :dead:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Ancestry can’t be deleted :dead:

ancestry can't be deleted but there is a clear line of demarcation between old world africa and the new identities the subpopulation of their own people that were shipped to the Americas created when they became Afram, Cuban, Jamaican, Haitian etc.... There is a reason the history of blacks in the Americas ISN'T a continuation of the respective ancestral tribes', continued history as they played out in Africa over the same time span. It's actually 100% another distinct culture/people(s).

Last edited:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
ancestry can't be deleted but there is a clear line of demarcation between old world africa and the new identity a subpopulation of their own people that were shipped to the Americas created when they became Afram, Cuba, Jamaican, Haitian etc.... There is a reason the history of blacks in the Americas ISN'T a continuation of the respective ancestral tribes', continued history as they played out in Africa over the same time span. It's actually 100% another distinct culture/people.

:mjgrin: