The Wire The Greatest TV Series Ever

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
I absolutely loved Breaking Bad, but it shocks me how stuck in the moment cats are with that show. Let's see if we're talking about it and breaking it down years later like we do with legit classics like The Wire and The Sopranos

Th3G3ntleman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Wire is the greatest for me by a wide margin. I've watched the entire series once and don't have plans to go back it was perfect and I'm afraid of diluting the experience by watching it again. All the other great shows over the years aren't really close to the Wire's brilliance. Either way T.V has come so fukking far in the last 15-20 years having surpassed the movie experience at least for me.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yes it is. I really don't understand what you all hate about season 5. Not one person that has said they hated season 5 ever explained what was wrong with it. it was perfect.

A gang of shyt. The fake serial killer story line was horrible....mad characters were acting out of character. A normally cautious street savvy character like Prop Joe outlining his whole operation to Marlo....Lester going along with the fake serial killer shyt, when in any other season he'd chastised McNulty for going too far....all kinds of shyt.

If you like season 5 :manny: but Simon himself wrote a blog defending it, because it wasn't well received.

Fred.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
A gang of shyt. The fake serial killer story line was horrible....mad characters were acting out of character. A normally cautious street savvy character like Prop Joe outlining his whole operation to Marlo....Lester going along with the fake serial killer shyt, when in any other season he'd chastised McNulty for going too far....all kinds of shyt.

If you like season 5 :manny: but Simon himself wrote a blog defending it, because it wasn't well received.

Fred.

I actually don't think it was out of character for Lester as deep as he'd become with the detail and just following the money and realizing how corrupt the city was

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I absolutely loved Breaking Bad, but it shocks me how stuck in the moment cats are with that show. Let's see if we're talking about it and breaking it down years later like we do with legit classics like The Wire and The Sopranos

Obarth you know I fukk with you heavy but this would be like me saying "it shocks me how many fans proclaim 'The Wire' is the GOAT when 99% of them weren't watching it when it was on". Hell, David Simon even went in on people for doing that.

"BB" just ended a year ago, of course people are still stuck on it. This board will sit here all day talking about how great "Deadwood" is, but completely ignore when David Milch raves about how incredible "BB" is. Or rave about "GOT", but ignore it's show runners calling "BB" the GOAT.

People (not you, saying in general) act like "BB" being a GOAT contender, if not the outright GOAT, is some message board/Twitter shyt, when it's probably your favorite show's, favorite show.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I actually don't think it was out of character for Lester as deep as he'd become with the detail and just following the money and realizing how corrupt the city was

We'll have to agree to disagree but IMO that shyt was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of character. Bunk? Maybe.

But if you would've told me the outline for season 5 prior to me seeing it, I would've laughed you out of the room. There's no way in hell I'd believe any of that would happen, given the prior 4 seasons. I still consider it the GOAT, regardless, but some people act like you can't criticize any aspect of it, and still consider it the GOAT.

Fred.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
We'll have to agree to disagree but IMO that shyt was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of character. Bunk? Maybe.

But if you would've told me the outline for season 5 prior to me seeing it, I would've laughed you out of the room. There's no way in hell I'd believe any of that would happen, given the prior 4 seasons. I still consider it the GOAT, regardless, but some people act like you can't criticize any aspect of it, and still consider it the GOAT.

Fred.

Now I do agree on your last point. Nothing is perfect and while the show is the greatest it's not without it's faults

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734

Fred.
The bad of season 5

• Most of the baltimore sun charactors save for gus
  • the fake serial killer story was overdone; mcnulty couldve thought up a more SANE way to force the city's hand
  • Mcnulty's total regression...season 4 mcnulty was his best
  • Gimpy omar
  • Vondas and the greek agreeing to work with marlo without better vetting imo is worse than the serial killer story. Its all "EVERYTHING THRU JOE" followed by "thanks for the money, alright we'll keep in touch" followed by "joes dead? Whelp we gotta move this work" real sloppy by them.
The good
  • The political games between carcetti / burrell / rawls / daniels / valchek / pearleman / bonds etc...this was very well done
  • The progession of careers like carver, pearleman, daniels, POOT.
  • Dukie's whole storyline; absolutely amazing and tragic...saves the season
  • Michael's life in marlo's crew...and the regret of the choice
  • All the kids from season 4 losing their youth so quick. Save for naymond.
  • The bunk being the truest NATURAL PO-lice
  • The sobriety of bubbles and his ongoing torture.
  • Marlo winning and not being able to change STILL.

Season 1 : A+
season 2 : A-
Season 3 : A
Season 4 : A+
Season 5 : B+

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community

Fred.

1.The fake serial killer storyline was based on the accusations against the LAPD that they made up the Zodiac killer to get publicity when their funding was going to be cut....so how was the Wire's version horrible when it was EXACTLY how many claim it happened in real life? It shows that when money is threatened because of bureaucratic bullshyt, people will do illegal things to get back at the system.

2.Prop Joe was not acting out of character...if you saw in season 304, Joe was really about that commission life and the only way to do that was to get Marlo in the mix...I agree he was shortsighted in not seeing Marlo was a sociopath, but he was also shortsighted his whole fukking life letting his nephew be around him, so it was in his character to overlook important things. Dude made mistakes like most gangstas do.

3.For the lester shyt, see answer 1. When your money and livelihood are in danger, people go to drastic measures...that's why the first episode of season 5 is key; it shows you why and how they would do something like that.

I don't know why people don't understand the fake serial killer storyline is more than plausible. I studied the zodiac killer case for years and all the theories and like Simon, I believe it was a hoax created by a police dept that was in danger; I think it was a BRILLIANT season and that storyline was very effective for Simon's thesis that bureaucracy and capitalism go hand in hand to screw over all levels of society, even the police department. shyt was excellent.

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
This thread has been done a million times, no thank you
mark-henry-finger.gif