The Wheel Of Time - Robert Jordan's Books (Season 2/9.1.23)

Made Man

All Star
Daps
I have a couple of issues but i’m a HUGE fan of the books since my teenage years so Might be slightly biased but so far my issues are

-Giving Perrin a pregnant wife. It totally undercuts the importance of a major storyline that will take place later on which I won’t spoil for non book readers. This was a weird choice by the showrunners and i’m surprised that Robert Jordan’s widow (she’s credited as a producer on the series) allowed it.
Also their doing a TERRIBLE job of showing Perrin’s anguish over her death. In the books killing a woman is a BIG deal for the Two Rivers folks and either the actor or the writers are downplaying the significance of it.

-Making Mat a thief. Again, this goes against the core of who the character is. Mat in the books is a rapscallion, rogue, and perhaps a bit of a trickster, but he is NO thief. He has a code he lives by from growing up in the Two Rivers that sets he and the others from his village apart, its what makes them unique. Taking that away from him feels wrong to me.

-The whole “mystery” of who the Dragon Reborn is and it being expanded to include the women. This isn’t some anti-feminist kick i’m on but there’s a BIG reason why The Dragon Reborn cannot be a female, and they already spelled it out in the season’s second episode, so forcing the audience the think that any of the women could be the “chosen one” is disingenuous.

Also it feels like they are going at breakneck speed through certain events of the book. I was hoping, that like Game Of Thrones, they would take their time and let certain events and character developments breathe a little and really build a sense of atmosphere surrounding the world and lore of WOT. But seeing as they only have 8 episodes to get it done I can understand why they made the choice to rush through some things.

Good things I liked

- Thom Merrilon and Lan Madragon are PERFECTLY cast.

-The diversity on the show is welcome

-Chick who plays Moiraine is doing a great job anchoring the narrative

-The music and cinematography are mostly on point

I actually think giving Perrin a pregnant wife ( which we really don’t know if she really was pregnant or not ) actually furthers that storyline even more . It gives you a perfect reason why he is conflicted later in the hooks .

I don’t mind the Matt change either way . I literally disliked Matt until the 4th book, so anything prior to that i don’t really care . If anything it makes his character better, he was a selfish prick in the first part of the series .

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
I don’t mind the Matt change either way . I literally disliked Matt until the 4th book, so anything prior to that i don’t really care . If anything it makes his character better, he was a selfish prick in the first part of the series .
Literally the first person I've spoken to who's read the books that hated Mat.:mjlol:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
@Ziggiy , thank you for no spoilers. :wow:

This was a weird choice by the showrunners and i’m surprised that Robert Jordan’s widow (she’s credited as a producer on the series) allowed it.

Interestingly, Brandon Sanderson (also a consultant and producer on the show) disagreed with that choice as well, he thought it was too dark. The scene was inspired by a line in the books where Perrin says he would have married Laila if he had stayed in Two Rivers, and the showrunner wanted something major to help build who Perrin was early because otherwise Perrin's character is pretty undeveloped for the first 2-3 books.

Sanderson also didn't like what they did with Matt's dad for the same reason. But he says he likes the other changes that were made and likes the show a lot. Says Episode 6 is the best of the first season (but then he talks a little fuzzy on whether he got the number right, since he only has read scripts and made suggestions but didn't see the final product yet).

Also it feels like they are going at breakneck speed through certain events of the book. I was hoping, that like Game Of Thrones, they would take their time and let certain events and character developments breathe a little and really build a sense of atmosphere surrounding the world and lore of WOT. But seeing as they only have 8 episodes to get it done I can understand why they made the choice to rush through some things.

Same comments as I mentioned above, Sanderson compared this to the Harry Potter movies and said the movies which try to match the book's pacing suck, that television/film just need a different kind of pacing than books can allow.

He said to think of the movies not as a retelling of the book, but as a new turn of the wheel where different things can happen. :ehh:

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
Look how they've massacred my boy...:to:

Much of Perrin's nature and motivations are internal. Giving him a wife who dies, a wife with whom he'd already lost a child - watch more closely, they're already in mourning and he's awkward around her because of it - is used as a emotional trigger for who he's to become later. Especially given that he kills her by accident, and Perrin loves brooding as it is...so yeah.

What they've done to Abell and Natti Cauthon is unconscionable. Just...why?

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I'm an outlier on this front because I never liked Egwene, even at the end. :francis:

Nyn though? :blessed:

I liked how she

flipped becoming The Amirlyn Seat from being a pawn of the other Sisters into being her own boss. That shyt was gangsta. But she became an overconfident bytch shortly after that and actually thought Rand was going to yield to her. I was like bytch PLEASE

Blackfyre

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm
I liked how she

flipped becoming The Amirlyn Seat from being a pawn of the other Sisters into being her own boss. That shyt was gangsta. But she became an overconfident bytch shortly after that and actually thought Rand was going to yield to her. I was like bytch PLEASE
Word for word, that’s exactly how I felt about her. :ohlawd:
Her death hit me the most, shyte caught me off guard. One change I would gladly accept is if they had her survive her fate at the end of this tv series.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Word for word, that’s exactly how I felt about her. :ohlawd:
Her death hit me the most, shyte caught me off guard. One change I would gladly accept is if they had her survive her fate at the end of this tv series.

Breh that shyt

Hit me HARD! Then when Rand felt her death while battling the Dark One I was like :mjcry:

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
Looking forward to the political side of things, something Jordan did so well that's yet to make an appearance in this iteration. There's so much complexity to an already vast world, they're going to have to dedicate one of the majority of the upcoming seasons to nailing it down.