The true winner of this gen can't even do 4k

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
it's crazier how they're able to resell three old games with slight touchups while the other companies had to remaster them from scratch

I think that's kind of a reduction of what they actually do. I think the more accurate statement is that they have mastered fun and engaging gameplay loops and prioritize it over everything even story and graphics. In addition, they have developed clear identities for their properties that allow them to evolve without losing their core essence.

There's a reason why when I saw the Covenant in Halo Infinite I was like "Not these nikkas again, this is 2001 all over again" but that thought didn't even cross my mind when I saw a Moblin or Octorok in Breath of the Wild (who've been around since 1985).

I think it's because Nintendo makes it so that your interaction with these are fresh every single time. A hammer bro in Super Mario Brothers 3 and Super Mario Odyssey are effectively the same but the way you interact with them is new and refreshing. You have new ways of attacking them, new ways of utilizing them....it just always feels fresh.

Other developers prioritize the story and the graphics and let the gameplay rot on the vine. That's why games like Assassin's Creed can feel so stale because you're playing the same ol' game with a new coat of paint where as with a Nintendo strives to change the actual core mechanics to evolve the game.

Do they have some duds? Yes. But there's a reason why Zelda had its best entry ever two years ago and Halo is on life support.

Which is what the initial post that started all this said.

nikkas just saw realistic and ran with it and started posting pictures of boats and talking about Mickey Mouse shooting guns and The Governator. :yeshrug:

:russ:

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I think that's kind of a reduction of what they actually do. I think the more accurate statement is that they have mastered fun and engaging gameplay loops and prioritize it over everything even story and graphics. In addition, they have developed clear identities for their properties that allow them to evolve without losing their core essence.

:mjlol: the stannery. I don't hate Nintendo, I just want them to do better and the fans to want more than bare minimum. Calling a port of the same game isn't reductive, it's accurate.

Last edited:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
they dont even do remakes or remasters like that....if u talking bout them keep putting their OG games on each console thats diff...hell link's awakening was their first real remake...and this mario collection is just remasters
Zelda OOT and majoras mask received remakes for the 3DS. Mario 64 received a remake for the DS.

Metroid prime 1 and 2 were remastered with motion controls. Metroid 1 and 2 got remakes.

Wind waker and twilight princess both got remasters. Links awakening for switch is the 3rd time that game has been redone.

Every damn star fox game is basically a remake of the first game.

The whole damn wii u library is being remastered for the switch.

Nintendo is not opposed to remaking or remastering their games.

Last edited:

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
:mjlol: the stannery. I don't hate Nintendo, I just want them to do better and the fans to want more than bare minimum. Calling a port of the same game isn't reductive, it's accurate.

I wasn’t talking about ports though. I was talking about how Nintendo having 30+ year old franchises in top 10 charts is not a mistake and due to actual care and management of their properties.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
People don’t play resolutions, they play games and the Switch has a solid 1st party stable of games.

Remember, one of the best open world games of all time dropped on the Switch, Breath of the Wild. It’s physics and natural world is more consistent, logical, and realistic than Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghist of Tsushima, and Red Dead Redemption.

What good is 4K if all you got to play is Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves?

this man knows. :wow: :myman:

it’s a shame to hear ppl try and downplay this game at times smh

*edit*

I made my comment before reading thru the thread...that wasn’t a sideswipe at anyone

:whoa:

Last edited:

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
this man knows. :wow: :myman:

it’s a shame to hear ppl try and downplay this game at times smh

*edit*

I made my comment before reading thru the thread...that wasn’t a sideswipe at anyone

:whoa:

Man I was playing both Ghost of Tsushima and Assassin’s Creed Origins and thinking about how they felt so archaic when compared to Breath of the Wild. The open world in a lot of these AAA games are simply backdrops that connect Mission 1 to Mission 2. Devs add collectibles and fetch quests to these areas to make them seem apart of the game but in the end the open world never evolves beyond a big level select screen.

BOTW flipped this and made the open world apart of the mission. For one, instead of sprinkling the map with a ton of icons/quests, they gave you the icons and let you highlight what was important to you on the map. Secondly, the open world had a tangible impact on your ability to accomplish your tasks.

• Can’t just take your favorite metal sword and shield to the tropical area if it’s thundering, you’ll be electrocuted.
  • Can’t just wear your favorite tunic in 30 below weather, you’ll freeze.
  • You’re not just gonna climb that rock all Willy Nilly in the rain, you’ll slip.
  • You can’t just swim that large body of water, you don’t have enough stamina and die.
  • Can’t just start a fire to cook because it’s raining.

You constantly had to think about how to get from point A to B, it challenged you and made you be creative. All the shrines, divine beasts, and etc all felt like they took place within this same interconnected world governed by the same physics. The mission and the open world were in a lot of ways imperceivable, it was a dope experience.

I think Monolith has a strong role in development because it outclassed Mario Odyssey by so much....BOTW is a master piece.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
lol...I meant to rep this post...but repped the wrong one

for me it’s the best game I’ve ever played

Man I was playing both Ghost of Tsushima and Assassin’s Creed Origins and thinking about how they felt so archaic when compared to Breath of the Wild. The open world in a lot of these AAA games are simply backdrops that connect Mission 1 to Mission 2. Devs add collectibles and fetch quests to these areas to make them seem apart of the game but in the end the open world never evolves beyond a big level select screen.

BOTW flipped this and made the open world apart of the mission. For one, instead of sprinkling the map with a ton of icons/quests, they gave you the icons and let you highlight what was important to you on the map. Secondly, the open world had a tangible impact on your ability to accomplish your tasks.

• Can’t just take your favorite metal sword and shield to the tropical area if it’s thundering, you’ll be electrocuted.
  • Can’t just wear your favorite tunic in 30 below weather, you’ll freeze.
  • You’re not just gonna climb that rock all Willy Nilly in the rain, you’ll slip.
  • You can’t just swim that large body of water, you don’t have enough stamina and die.
  • Can’t just start a fire to cook because it’s raining.

You constantly had to think about how to get from point A to B, it challenged you and made you be creative. All the shrines, divine beasts, and etc all felt like they took place within this same interconnected world governed by the same physics. The mission and the open world were in a lot of ways imperceivable, it was a dope experience.

I think Monolith has a strong role in development because it outclassed Mario Odyssey by so much....BOTW is a master piece.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Good games sell hardware. :ehh: You could have a top 10 GOAT games list of JUST Nintendo titles and you could make a case for it.

Can't do that with any other company or studio.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
lol...I meant to rep this post...but repped the wrong one

for me it’s the best game I’ve ever played

Same here man...I put more than 144+ hours into it. There were some things I didn’t like e.g. the Divine Beasts were kind of added to the story in a bolt-on fashion. Once you did one Divine Beast you basically knew the run down for every other one “oh my people have this weapon ya ya ya and Gannon infected it, help” rinse, repeat. Another thing is that the game’s story is minimal...Gannon bad guy, Gannon take castle, Gannon kicked Link’s ass, Link forgot he got his ass kicked, Link good guy, Zelda good guy, destroy Gannon, take castle back. Gannon has zero motivation for being who he is....

But despite those flaws the game is unfukkwittable.