The true winner of this gen can't even do 4k

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
He never referenced the aesthetics maybe there was some hidden implication you found

The term realistic doesn't mean 100% real

It means it replicates reality and the physics in BOTW not being able to climb wet walls, being knocked around ragdolled and ragdolling enemies (i know ragdoll physics exist but not to the extent of BOTW) carrying too much equipment making you sluggish, breakable weapons there aren't weird invisible walls

In terms of pure physics engines it is more realistic than any game to date even if it has fantasy elements and is a cartoon.
realistic(adj) of or relating to the philosophical doctrine of realism

Realism, sometimes called naturalism, in the arts is generally the attempt to represent subject matter truthfully, without artificiality and avoiding speculative fiction and supernatural elements.

Basically you can never describe something with monsters and magic and cartoon characters as more realistic than a game like ghost of tstushima that is based on actual historical events. The term realistic has no application in relation to game physics or gameplay mechanics.

but If it did, how would you know if fantasy creatures and magical warriors are even subject to the same laws of physics as real life to even describe them in such a manner anyways? Like saying the flight physics for superman is more realistic in man of steel than in the original christopher reeves version. you have had to witness actual real life superhuman flight to make an accurate comparision.

Daps

Realism, sometimes called naturalism, in the arts is generally the attempt to represent subject matter truthfully, without artificiality and avoiding speculative fiction and supernatural elements.

Basically you can never describe something with monsters and magic and cartoon characters as more realistic than a game like ghost of tstushima that is based on actual historical events. The term realistic has no application in relation to game physics or gameplay mechanics.

but If it did, how would you know if fantasy creatures and magical warriors are even subject to the same laws of physics as real life to even describe them in such a manner anyways? Like saying the flight physics for superman is more realistic in man of steel than in the original christopher reeves version. you have had to witness actual real life superhuman flight to make an accurate comparision.
you're moving the goalposts I am specifically talking about the physics not the cartoon graphics

i'll leave it there we're both not getting anywhere

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
you're moving the goalposts I am specifically talking about the physics not the cartoon graphics

i'll leave it there we're both not getting anywhere
Ok, how is it good physics that he can carry an invisible inventory that as you said weighs him down when overburdened? does he carry a satchel or bag that he stores these items in like RDR2?

How is it good physics that he can wield a club or a hammer twice his size like its nothing and how do they stay affixed to his back? Does he have some sort of holster or sling attached to it?

How is it good physics that he is able to scale walls like spiderman without any climbing equipment?

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC

You’re being purposefully obtuse and creating straw man arguments. I never talked about the art style being realistic, I talked about the actual game play mechanics. Now let’s look up a definition of realistic not from artphilosophy.com:

Realistic - resembling or simulating real life
Definition of realistic | Dictionary.com

So if realistic means something resembling real life, it’s safe to say that Breath of the Wild’s physics system simulates how energy, motion, and force affects matter in real life aka realistic. Since Breath of the Wild does this simulation better than its competition it’s MORE realistic than them IN THAT REGARD.

It’s pretty asinine to think that the realistic movement of objects in space/time is being discounted as a form of realism. So, according to you, the below video is realistic because it has a realistic art style despite the fact it violates all laws of physics?

If you prefer the veneer of realism that’s fine but don’t try to bend realism to match your narrow definition. BOTW clearly has a fantasy art style but everything behaves pretty damn consistent with how it would in the real world and that’s nothing to diminish.

Ok, how is it good physics that he can carry an invisible inventory that as you said weighs him down when overburdened? does he carry a satchel or bag that he stores these items in like RDR2?

How is it good physics that he can wield a club or a hammer twice his size like its nothing and how do they stay affixed to his back? Does he have some sort of holster or sling attached to it?

How is it good physics that he is able to scale walls like spiderman without any climbing equipment?

First off, all open world games have these are issues in one form or another. Secondly, it’s a game, fun takes priority which is why a lot of the minutiae of real life is removed. That’s why people hate skinning animals in RDR2 because it doesn’t have to be that detailed to still be realistic. It’s also why when you watch a movie and people enter buildings or cars they typically don’t show a wide shot of them getting in and out, the show the person grab the handle, and next scene is them in the car or building because it’s about conveying the message rather than the detail.

None of what you said however changes the fact that BOTW has one of the best physics systems in a open world game to date. You can nitpick Link holding a club or how he doesn’t have a weapons holder on his back and I can nitpick Sakai in GoT with 2 swords, 3 smoke bombs, 3 Kunai, 8 sets of armor on him at all times.

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
You’re being purposefully obtuse and creating straw man arguments. I never talked about the art style being realistic, I talked about the actual game play mechanics. Now let’s look up a definition of realistic not from artphilosophy.com:

Realistic - resembling or simulating real life
Definition of realistic | Dictionary.com

So if realistic means something resembling real life, it’s safe to say that Breath of the Wild’s physics system simulates how energy, motion, and force affects matter in real life aka realistic. Since Breath of the Wild does this simulation better than its competition it’s MORE realistic than them IN THAT REGARD.

It’s pretty asinine to think that the realistic movement of objects in space/time is being discounted as a form of realism. So, according to you, the below video is realistic because it has a realistic art style despite the fact it violates all laws of physics?

If you prefer the veneer of realism that’s fine but don’t try to bend realism to match your narrow definition. BOTW clearly has a fantasy art style but everything behaves pretty damn consistent with how it would in the real world and that’s nothing to diminish.

Cartoons in no way resemble real life by your definition. i don't know why you keep using fast n furious as an example. Vin diesel is an actual real person on earth. Link is in a different world/universe/dimension, do the laws of physics as we know them even apply?
but lets say they do, how is that cgi stunt with vin diesel any different than this? which laws give him spiderman abilities?
glhbmvkjqccpl3qil9d0.gif

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
Cartoons in no way resemble real life by your definition. i don't know why you keep using fast n furious as an example. Vin diesel is an actual real person on earth. Link is in a different world/universe/dimension, do the laws of physics as we know them even apply?
but lets say they do, how is that cgi stunt with vin diesel any different than this? which laws give him spiderman abilities?
glhbmvkjqccpl3qil9d0.gif

All I have left is ad hominems so I’ll let you cook.

:hubie:

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Nintendo just sold out (on amazon) of a $60 dollar collection of old ass Mario games and didn’t even add extra features. Just straight up bundled them and said here ya go. I have all of them and the old systems still, if I wanted to play them I could pull out the N64 or GameCube but I bought that shyt anyway. Nintendo got nostalgia charm on my generation.

Nintendo Fans be 2 types of people, either expecting very little from a product they purchase or expecting too much from a direct. People want to access to old games that is fine, either they played them or they have yet to play them. However, this isn't centered around giving people as more to play on folks nostalgia. 60$ and limited digital copies.:mjlol: meanwhile we got literal capcom ports for 20$ less and they are always available.

Nintendo gonna run out of ports, but it's criminal that they selling that $50 tablet for $300

It's 50$??? They really the apple of gaming.

Hoshi_Toshi

Superstar
Daps
you know a lot of ppl esp kids todat never played these games right ? you're acting like this collection is only aimed at ppl whoeved played these before... hell i never played galaxy...so if you bought them before or whatever i guess u can say for that audience they're "getting over" on us...me personally yes i wanted remakes for all 3 games but what can you do ?....hell if u look at the youtube comments for this collection a lot of ppl are saying they never played any of the games...i doubt they give a fukk that the games arent getting a remake...gotta broader than just they're preying on nostalgia breh
Nah that’s not what I’m saying at all. I’m just making a point that Nintendo got the game on lock because of the quality of games. We can complain all day about the shytty online, friend codes, app to in game chat, joy-con drift etc but at the end of the day people like me gonna go and buy it because we know the games are good enough to overlook whatever shortcomings.

So even the newcomers that haven’t played the old games know off the top that they can buy the games with no hesitation because they know it’s gonna be good. I don’t think they got over on me or anything it’s just Nintendo :manny: