The thought of J. Cole and Kendrick retiring one day without ever being truly battle-tested pisses me off

JayStarwind

Superstar
Daps
It's not a necessity for me personally but I'm not opposed to a good battle, as long as it stays on wax.

Who would they even go against?
I'm not convinced Kenny would do well in battle, and deep down I think his fans know it too. Nothing wrong with being a top 10 concept artist, but I don't know if I can put him in my top 10 of rappers ever.

Based on what? I think the total opposite. Kendrick will say something grimey or just come :dame: on a song with an aggression that fits more or less what you want to hear.

You can't be upset these nikkas made it and wanna chill LOL

The Connoisseurs

Superstar
Daps
:patrice:
Double edge sword due to what Kenny and Cole represent, they would be seen as false prophets if the person they at war with words with is not the perfect “opponent”.

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
So instead of wanting them to drop a classic album before they retire

You wish they got into beef that their peers intentionally duck

And you're blaming Cole and Kendrick for this

:unimpressed:

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Slick about what? I'm saying it very plainly. Drake is excluded from the table this thread is about because of the excessive ghostwriting. A pop hit here and there once you've already ascended to legend status is one thing but breh put out a random mixtape with half of it written by Quentin Miller come on breh. I got Kenny and Cole over Drake because their pens have never been questioned, ever.

But battling is a real , respectable part of the culture. Only new nikkas like @GreenGhxst would try to change the argument and make it ONLY about music when we talking about HIP-HOP. I don't understand how we can be sitting here on a hip-hop forum and I gotta explain why there's more to the CULTURE than the music itself. I'm just happy there's some of y'all who understood before I ever had to explain.

Nobody is questioning the music.

I lol'd but nah. That JP's Caddy verse, as flames as it was, was even less direct than Control. Y'all forget Control literally named names. It's almost why I didn't want to put him in this with Cole but he's had enough subs sent his way to where he should've been like fukk it and bombed first.

I'm not convinced Kenny would do well in battle, and deep down I think his fans know it too. Nothing wrong with being a top 10 concept artist, but I don't know if I can put him in my top 10 of rappers ever.

Cole is the one that really pisses me off though cuz it's obvious his rap style is meant to annihilate dudes in war but he'd rather just be humble and appear homeless every day in peace smh
There's no reason for either of these dudes to battle anybody. Drake doesn't want it with Kendrick (you and y'all need to stop doubting him) or it would've happened. Cole doesn't have an issue with anyone. Kenny and Cole don't have issues.

Once you leave the 80s rap on-wax battles stem from specific disrespect and/or off-wax issues.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
It's a fair point but at the same time...it's a different era. I can't fault Cole for being from NC and not having a rapper he could have presumably sparred with. And while Kendrick is from a city/state that has had beefs forever, the west has largely been cordial outside of a few flare ups. He's cool with all the OGs, he's cool with everyone he came up with (Odd Future, YG, etc), he's even cool with the out of town dudes like Mozzy. Hell he even got Mozzy on the Black Panther soundtrack.

I'd also say Cole and Kendrick seem so far removed from what's typically going on in rap that they never get caught up in anything. Closest was the Kendrick flare ups with Big Sean but they're cool now. And that could have gotten real, REAL ugly. Trust me.

BBG

Superstar
Daps
It's a fair point but at the same time...it's a different era. I can't fault Cole for being from NC and not having a rapper he could have presumably sparred with. And while Kendrick is from a city/state that has had beefs forever, the west has largely been cordial outside of a few flare ups. He's cool with all the OGs, he's cool with everyone he came up with (Odd Future, YG, etc), he's even cool with the out of town dudes like Mozzy. Hell he even got Mozzy on the Black Panther soundtrack.

I'd also say Cole and Kendrick seem so far removed from what's typically going on in rap that they never get caught up in anything. Closest was the Kendrick flare ups with Big Sean but they're cool now. And that could have gotten real, REAL ugly. Trust me.
Yo this would've been crazy and I'm glad you mentioned it. I think it would've done a lot for both of their resumé had that taken place. I believe Kendrick would've lost, but held his own and then proceeded to drop fire after fire and would be unquestionably top 10. Can you sit here and say you have Kendrick in your top 10 right now? J. Cole?? I'm telling you, these dudes would be getting even more respect than they already have if they stayed true to that part of the culture and let nikkas have it.

Again, I ain't condoning violence. Battle rappers be killing each other whole crews and fukkin they baby mommas on stage and then dap it up at the end. We grown men, and battle is our sport. People don't want to say it, but we all gained a lot of respect for Drake and how he was wit all that shyt

alonzo-mourning.gif

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
Wish mud slinging between black men, which nowadays often involves gun play, tragedy, and DEATH upon two of the more progressive and lyrically mature MC’s of the modern era brehs
so you think a Kendrick and JCole battle would lead to this? :mjlol:

what reason would you post this?

even a Drake vs Meek Mill beef had more chance to leading to a death than this

Daps
:stopitslime: wayne? Really? The wayne that made a line about kidnapping beyonce if jayz keeps throwing submimimals at birdman? That wayne ? :stopitslime: On a major album as well. Somd of the coldest lines ever :wow:

Jay-Z said he dont got baby (birdman) money

I dont even think jayz ever responded after that :russ:

So just sending shots on a song is battle tested to yall? What does that have to do with being a legend

BBG

Superstar
Daps
2 of the best artists of the last 20 years are terrible examples??? Ok
I agree with you on Wayne but Kanye is NOT one of the best RAPPERS in the past 20 years.

So just sending shots on a song is battle tested to yall? What does that have to do with being a legend
Y'all exposing yourselves. You cannot be any more direct than this.