The Tariq Nasheed Thread

Bunchy Carter

I'll Take The Money Over The Honey
Daps
Reppin
Triple O.G. Bunchy Carter
Article said he ain't been home in 30 years.lol.

He ditched yard.

He is just saving his money, he's going back eventually:mjgrin:

Because of inflation over these 30 years, it has made it very difficult to save money for a plane ticket from New York to Jamaica :mjgrin:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Ive been saying the same thing. I’m too young to know the origins of hip hop but from my perspective, immigrants in the diaspora migrated to the United States and adopted black American culture and now people are trying to accredit their contributions to hip-hop to their home culture not realizing that although a person may be from country, when they migrate to another country often times they will leave their home culture behind and adopt the culture in their present home.

So it’s not completely accurate to say “Jamaicans and Puerto Ricans pioneered hip hop” They may have been Jamaican and Puerto Rican nationality-wise but culturally they assimilated into African-American culture.

My question is are they contributing by combing two separate cultures or are they contributing by adopting and creating within an already existing culture? Did they bring elements of hip-hop from their home culture or did they simply assimilate into black American culture?

The early "West Indian" people in HipHop did the latter. Outside of their actual ethncity being non-FBA, their actual culture that they projected/was immersed in was FBA. Take someone like Herc:

5hC8Hr0.jpg

Herc was basically 100% FBA culturally

whereas many West Indian Americans in HipHop by the 1990s often showed a hybrid West Indian + FBA type of cultural blend

FLYINHAWAIIAN

Vegan For a Reason
Daps
Reppin
Hawaii/Houston
Ok but his defenders here be on that fukk Africans wave.

Again you could totally celebrate ADOS hip-hoppers without shytting on Kool Herc, buggie et al.

Who here be saying fukk Africans? And if somebody did, address them; not Tariq.

And who shyt on Kool Herc?

FLYINHAWAIIAN

Vegan For a Reason
Daps
Reppin
Hawaii/Houston
He goes too far with the non FBA stuff. I don’t want this documentary and the contents to be watered down by that stuff.

No he don't go too far with no non-fba stuff.
This documentary is spos to be about black American culture. He don't gotta speak on non-fba people; only when they lie about creating hiphop

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Who here be saying fukk Africans? And if somebody did, address them; not Tariq.

And who shyt on Kool Herc?

So now you don't see the anti Black bullshyt?I don't know names but take that goofy ass thrad about the Africans in Italy some one actually made a thread suggesting that they were gonna fukk the random Italian chicks there.

I mean even randomly calling people "tethers" when they didn't do anything or say anything about ADOS is wierd.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
The early "West Indian" people in HipHop did the latter. Outside of their actual ethncity being non-FBA, their actual culture that they projected/was immersed in was FBA. Take someone like Herc:

5hC8Hr0.jpg

Herc was basically 100% FBA culturally

whereas many West Indian Americans in HipHop by the 1990s often showed a hybrid West Indian + FBA type of cultural blend

I obviously can't prove it ( and I don't even know if Snif N Wesson was non ADOS but being around when that song was out I will say there was more Fresh off the boat Jamaicans running around BK at that time.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
He is just saving his money, he's going back eventually:mjgrin:

Because of inflation over these 30 years, it has made it very difficult to save money for a plane ticket from New York to Jamaica :mjgrin:
I can tell you I almost never see migrants go back "home" once they establish themselves unless they're sent back.

Herc gotta be deep in his 70's if he hasn't gone back by now it's safe to say he brought a gravesite in the states not Jamaica.

In The Zone '98

Superstar
Daps
I can tell you I almost never see migrants go back "home" once they establish themselves unless they're sent back.

Herc gotta be deep in his 70's if he hasn't gone back by now it's safe to say he brought a gravesite in the states not Jamaica.

Bruh, I'm in the Bronx.

Jamaicans stop whatever they doing to go home if there's a family or business emergency.

For him to have never been back, for anything, is kinda sus.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
What did FBA borrow from Latinos and Jamaicans??

Please list them:
My nikka we could list what ADOS borrowed from the Irish.

But that's besides the point again no culture is created in a vacuum.

Now everyone is saying this doc ain't about hating on Kool Herc and them but celebrating Coke la Rock and Kurtis Blow. So let it be that.

I'm just saying it's wierd to be hyperfocused on what you hate even above supporting what you claim to love.

shyt is like Divestors always shytting on Black Men instead of focusing on the white dudes they claim to love.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Bruh, I'm in the Bronx.

Jamaicans stop whatever they doing to go home if there's a family or business emergency.

For him to have never been back, for anything, is kinda sus.
Yes that would mean either he brought all his folks here or cut ties with the ones there.

But I'm talking about living there. I know one Yaad Man who lives in the bronx who seeded up someone in. his hometown and visits her and his kid all the time but hassn't moved back.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
My nikka we could list what ADOS borrowed from the Irish.

But that's besides the point again no culture is created in a vacuum.

Now everyone is saying this doc ain't about hating on Kool Herc and them but celebrating Coke la Rock and Kurtis Blow. So let it be that.

I'm just saying it's wierd to be hyperfocused on what you hate even above supporting what you claim to love.

shyt is like Divestors always shytting on Black Men instead of focusing on the white dudes they claim to love.

FBA didn't borrow anything from Irish in a post-slavery setting:childplease: Anything "Irish" they know/learned happened in the slave-based Creolization process

(this is about the Caribbean but the same process happened all over the Americas)

Movement+of+Ideas+1.+Creolization+%E2%80%93+process+in+which+African+and+European+cultures+are+blended+in+the+Caribbean+such+as+music+and+languages..jpg