The Stupidity of WCW

L68

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jericho was involved in another segment backstage where he was chasing another wrestler. The cameras didn't cut and so the viewing audience were treated to seeing the two wrestlers suddenly stop running, turn round and walk casually towards the camera while chatting away

Anyone have a vid for this LOL

Cheese McNair

Bought it this morning, drive it like I stole it
Daps
WCW was on borrowed time by as early as January of 1998. Anyone that says shyt like Russo killed WCW bought into WWE's revisionist history. WCW was clearly rudderless after Starrcade 1997. No leadership, no clear direction, 80% of the roster was interchangeable. WCW from 1998-2001 existed solely on the momentum accrued in 1996-1997. It was terminal by early 1998 and nothing could save it.

Yeah I just rewatched most of 96-97 on the network. It was clear that they put all the eggs into 97 starrcade. After that it was like “what now?”

What’s sad is that starrcade could’ve been way better than what it was

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
Were these from the Death of WCW book? I bought the new edition some time ago with like 100-200 more pages of fukkery. :wow:
That along with some book about the WWE in 95 have been in my Amazon wish list for months but never pulled the trigger. I think I need to now.

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm watching WCW 2000 now, and there's a few weeks in the fall where Scott Hudson left because his wife had a kid. Stevie Ray replaces him, and the commentary becomes pure fukkery. No matter how ridiculous the segments, the commentary before was usually still fairly serious, with Schiavone and Hudson setting a serious tone and Madden adding jokes and heelishness. With Stevie replacing Hudson it just became Stevie Ray and Mark Madden going at each other and making jokes the entire show, making themselves the focus, and Schiavone has almost no presence.

QUOTE="thaKEAF, post: 9183561, member: 700"]:laff:

The funniest one is

• Chris Jericho's action figures were set so that when they were bought, the receipt would say either "Sting" or "Hogan". They subsequently got the revenue money for the sales.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't this just based on one receipt that someone Jericho knew sent him, where his got rung up as Hogan? That could've been an error of the store

Cheercomp

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I loved any and all wrestling during the 90s, altho I will admit that both the E and WCW had some things that were difficult to watch. Going back to catch WCW shows on the Network, the terrible finishes on every show just killed me. Outside of maybe the crusierweight divison, the finishes were downright terrible.... even going back to the early 90s. Run back the finish of the Sting/Black Scorpion match in the cage, did it really even end? Randoms just jumped in the ring, and nothing was solved. Flair was exposed, but never really had his face shown :trash:

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
• In one of the funniest commentary cover-ups of all time, Stevie Ray and Lex Lugerwere having a discussion. Luger asked Stevie Ray if what he was about to say was between the two of them. Stevie Ray replied by saying "yes, and 5,000 viewers". Of course, even in these dying days the company had a lot more than 5,000 viewers. Schivone tried to cover by saying, and I wish I was making this up, that Stevie meant "5,000 viewers in each house".

:heh:

When they upload those Nitro's to the network people who didn't witness that era gotta check out 1999-2001 episodes. You'll be hard pressed to find better unintentional comedy anywhere.
I barely remember any WCW from that era. I preferred Nitro to Raw from the start cause I was always an NWA fan before WWF, but at some point I started watching Raw and almost never turning to Nitro then they went out of business. Seems like it happened overnight.