THE STEP-BACK BY JAMES HARDEN IS A TRAVEL

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's not a travel, but neither @BuddyOmar's nor @Styles' explanations are correct.

The first step he takes to propel himself back isn't countered as an actual step, because it's in the motion of gathering the ball. Therefore it's not a travel, because those two steps he takes after that are legal.

See my previous post. Gather step aka doesn't count as a step.

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
Bro in my first fukking post I mentioned the simultaneous stop on both feet. GTFO I know the damn rules. It's not like that and hasn't been for years in the NBA. Watch that video.

Here's an article as well. NBA on traveling: Two steps are better than one

YES, A GATHER IS WHEN UR IN MOTION, NATURAL FLOW. USING A STEP TO PROPEL YOURSELF BACKWARDS IS NOT A GATHER.. SO EVEN WIT THE TWO STEP RULE IN PLAY, ITS A TRAVEL, UNLESS HE LANDS ON BOTH FEET AT THE SAME TIME

BTW GOOD LOOKS ON POSTIN THAT ARTICLE, I WAS LOOKIN FOR THAT A FEW WEEKS BACK.. THATS WHAT I WAS TALKIN BOUT EARLIER IN THE THREAD

Daps
See my previous post. Gather step aka doesn't count as a step.
:usure:
One step to stepback, second step hits the ground (pivot foot). Takes a jumper. How is this three steps? Once your pivot foot is on the ground, that third "step" your counting is meaningless. It's not a travel.

Also that post above with a jumpstop, the rule is one step, jump land on BOTH feet, you have to come off the ground on BOTH feet. You can't come off one or pivot off one.
I'll dap you anyway. :francis:

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
According to the league if you don't have both hands on the ball, they count that third step you're count as a gather so it's not a travel. Either way, not a travel, he's taking one step to go backwards, second foot hits the ground (pivot). Doesn't pick his pivot up just takes a jumper

ONE STEP TO JUMP BACK, LEFT FOOT HITS THE GROUND (STEP TWO), RIGHT FOOT HITS THE GROUND (STEP THREE).. I DONT THINK U KNOW WHAT A GATHER IS. A GATHER CAN NEVER BE ON THE THIRD STEP.. A GATHER IS THE STEP AS YOURE PICKIN UP UR DRIBBLE, BUT U CANT HOP OFF A GATHER.. THATS A HOP-STEP.

Last edited:

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
It's not a travel, but neither @BuddyOmar's nor @Styles' explanations are correct.

The first step he takes to propel himself back isn't countered as an actual step, because it's in the motion of gathering the ball. Therefore it's not a travel, because those two steps he takes after that are legal.

NOPE .. U CANNOT GATHER YOURSELF BY THROWING YOURSELF BACK, ITS UNNATURAL AND IS NOT A GATHER STEP IN THE LEAST BIT. JUST A FLAT OUT STEP......MORE OF A HOP-STEP THAN A GATHER STEP. AND WIT A HOP-STEP, U NEED TO LAND ON BOTH FEET FOR IT TO BE LEGAL.A GATHER STEP IS WHEN UR PICKIN UP THE BALL IN RHYTM TO TAKE TWO STEPS.. THERES NO HOP INVOLVED, AND ESPECIALLY NOT A HOP THAT PROPELS U BACKWARDS.

Daps
NOPE .. U CANNOT GATHER YOURSELF BY THROWING YOURSELF BACK, ITS UNNATURAL AND IS NOT A GATHER STEP IN THE LEAST BIT.
It's recognized as a gather step by the officials. You can gather step going forward and you can gather step going backwards. Until they change the ruling on this, it ain't a travel.

:manny:

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
It's recognized as a gather step by the officials. You can gather step going forward and you can gather step going backwards. Until they change the ruling on this, it ain't a travel.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A GATHER-STEP AND A HOP-STEP .. THIS IS THE LATTER. HE'S NOT "GATHERING" ANYTHING, HE'S PROPELLING HIMSELF BACKWARDS LIKE A KANGAROO AKA HOPPING. HOP-STEP RULE SPECIFIES THAT U NEED TO LAND ON BOTH FEET.. THE NBA WANTS A FASTER PACED GAME, SO THEY PRETEND LIKE THEY "MISSED IT" AND THEN INDIRECTLY FALL BACK ON THE GATHER RULE WITOUT ACTUALLY SAYIN IT, BECAUSE IF THEY DID, THEY KNOW DAMN WELL THEY'D GET CALLED OUT .. BUT IN REALITY, ITS ALWAYS BEEN A TRAVEL IN BASKETBALL N ALWAYS WILL.

Last edited:
Daps
THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETEEN A GATHER-STEP AND A HOP-STEP .. THIS IS THE LATTER. HE'S NOT "GATHERING" ANYTHING, HE'S PROPELLING HIMSELF BACKWARDS LIKE A KANGAROO ...
Same applies for when you're going towards the hoop. They view it as in the motion of gathering the ball.
THE NBA WANTS A FASTER PACED GAME, SO THEY PRETEND LIKE THEY "MISSED IT" AND THEN INDIRECTLY FALL BACK ON THE GATHER RULE WITOUT ACTUALLY SAYIN IT, BECAUSE IF THEY DID, THEY KNOW DAMN WELL THEY'D GET CALLED OUT .. BUT IN REALITY, ITS ALWAYS BEEN A TRAVEL IN BASKETBALL N ALWAYS WILL.
Look I don't necessarily disagree that it's a travel personally, but that's how the league regulates it, and until they cut out the open interpretation of the rule it'll remain like that.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i just assume the nba doesn't call traveling or carrying anymore...

which might be a good thing...cause if they called both virtually every nba possession would end in a turnover...
The League didn't have a problem calling a Travel on Allen Iverson to try and ruin his game tho

:coffee:

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
Same applies for when you're going towards the hoop. They view it as in the motion of gathering the ball.

Look I don't necessarily disagree that it's a travel personally, but that's how the league regulates it, and until they cut out the open interpretation of the rule it'll remain like that.

WHEN UR GOIN TOWARDS THE HOOP AND GATHERING, U DONT HOP OFF YOUR GATHER, U JUST PICK UP YOUR DRIBBLE NATURALLY N BEGIN YOUR 2 STEPS.. IF U HOP OFF THE GATHER, ITS A HOP-STEP AS OPPOSED TO A GATHER-STEP. WE BOTH KNOW ITS A TRAVEL, BUT THE LEAGUE HAS IGNORED IT FOR SO LONG THAT WE NOW ACCEPT IT AS "NORMAL" .. EVEN THO AT PRACTICALLY ANY OTHER LEVEL OR IN ANY OTHER LEAGUE, U GETTIN CALLED FOR THAT 99% OF THE TIME.

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
BUT ONE THING I DID NOTICE, THE REFS LOVE TO CALL THAT SHUFFELING OF THE FEET BEHIND THE THREE POINT LINE PRIOR TO THE DRIBBLE THAT PLAYERS DO WHEN PUSHING OFF THEIR FEET FOR THE DRIVE .. AND THAT ONE IS LESS OBVIOUS. ITS PRETTY MUCH THE ONLY TRAVEL THEY CALL.