The Sopranos - The portrayal of Blacks

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
People don't get the point of this discussion.

No one gives much of a shyt about how the characters treated blacks, it's how the show itself wrote a lot of these black characters. So many of them are paper thin, cringe worthy stereotypes.

It's not about the italians behavior, it's about the blacks depiction.

Trapped

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

This segment here clearly shows how Tony perceives black people. He will do business with them (same with Jews for that matter), but that's it. There were many stereotypes in the Sopranos (for instance stingy Jews, that Puerto-Rican girl that was with AJ, movie actors being dikks, fat Italians occupied with food, the proud Indians etc...), but I think that they didn't go overboard and added to the authenticity of the show.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
New Line has purchased the screenplay The Many Saints of Newark, the working title for a feature prequel of The Sopranos that is set in the era of the Newark riots in the 60s. That was a time when the African-Americans and the Italians of Newark were at each other’s throats, and amongst the gangsters of each group, those conflicts became especially lethal.
David Chase Revives ‘The Sopranos’ With New Line Prequel Movie ‘The Many Saints Of Newark’

This will either be really good or really bad. He has to hire some black writers for this...

NYC Warrior

Dat ole real sh*t
Daps
Reppin
BX
New Line has purchased the screenplay The Many Saints of Newark, the working title for a feature prequel of The Sopranos that is set in the era of the Newark riots in the 60s. That was a time when the African-Americans and the Italians of Newark were at each other’s throats, and amongst the gangsters of each group, those conflicts became especially lethal.
David Chase Revives ‘The Sopranos’ With New Line Prequel Movie ‘The Many Saints Of Newark’

This will either be really good or really bad. He has to hire some black writers for this...

Yeah I bet he can't wait for this shyt

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I doubt Black Panther will be about literally black royalty and have negative portrayals of black people but then again people's of what's acceptable or unacceptable are different. I'd say This Is US but I don't watch the show and I know the majority of the cast isn't black.

But I say the Coli double speaks because on one hand there will be threads and posts about how a "real nikka" you have to have experienced certain things growing up, usually things rooted in struggle or negativity that the hood breeds. Cats talking about what city is harder than the others. Brehs bragging on being a hood knockout artist or running through women on the strength of a dubsack and wings. Deeming folks "new Blacks".

Yet seem to have chagrin that there aren't a slew of shows about upper middle class Black people...who somehow still manage to "keep it real/hood". I don't know if ts the 6 figures 6 certs shyt rearing it's head but it's like this board expects all black characters to come from nothing to 6 figures or come from old black money, all while having a 6-7 man cast of supporting roles who are similar. There was a thread in which some posters were fussing on Power and Empire portraying dysfunctional Black people that opened my eyes to this...a crime drama and night time soap opera aren't going to feature modern interpretations of the Huxtable and Banks families.

I'm trying to develop a series that some Brehs on here wouldn't like because
1) The lead protagonist is mixed
2) His other family is fairly accepting, at least the immediate other family
3) His woman isn't chocolate or even Black
4) Criminality is abundant

But I'm hoping that the period it's set in, the city it's set in finally having their hidden black/brown populace revealed to the country, the hero's security and insecurity in his identity, and the intelligence the characters show offset some of those things. I want to make a true realistic show but I may be too optimistic in people being realistic about what a show will bring.

Check out my latest thread about Gucci Mane in The Booth.

Daps
Italians hate everyone but their own , they're tight like that! They don't want their girls dating black men, and preferably they want their girls to marry other Italian men.

Sopranos captures the hate pretty well, Tony doesn't hate black people in the show he deals with black peoole on a business level but not when it comes to dating meadow

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
Italians hate everyone but their own , they're tight like that! They don't want their girls dating black men, and preferably they want their girls to marry other Italian men.

Sopranos captures the hate pretty well, Tony doesn't hate black people in the show he deals with black peoole on a business level but not when it comes to dating meadow

:mjlol:

What does this have to do with the portrayal of black people by the director?

Every black person on the show is either a hooker, junkie, drug dealer, murderer, petty criminal or a rapper.

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
:mjlol:

What does this have to do with the portrayal of black people by the director?

Every black person on the show is either a hooker, junkie, drug dealer, murderer, petty criminal or a rapper.

not true

charles s. dutton plays a cop who pulls tony over and gets demoted because tony went to his superiors.

at the end of the episode tony sees he has to work a second job just to make ends meet and feels about it so he tries to slip him a few hundred bucks. dutton's character refuses to take it and leaves him hanging.

he is clearly being portrayed as three times the man that tony is.

Lhark

Superstar
Daps
That was one thing I hated about the show, especially when they framed black people for killing Jackie Jr.