The Sony Pictures Leak F**kery Thread

mrken12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
thats how lots of cacs speak when they feeling real untouchable.

Michael Jackson warned everyone years ago that Sony was on some bullshyt.
SUFiymd.png

The Watcher

Judging you from afar
Daps
Reppin
Peepholes
It's completely possible that N.K. hired the hackers. They could be from anywhere really but just representing their employer's interests.

I agree that it's possible, but that goes back to why just release the gossipy emails one day at a time like a teenager's facebook hack? They've got the data and want revenge, what does North Korea gain by releasing shyt talk emails each day that aren't going to do any real long-term damage to Sony. Maybe at some point there will be that data dump that makes it all clear, but I'm still not seeing it.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This hack is going to cost them big time once competitors go through those emails. This is a good time to be in IT Security if hacks like these become commonplace.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102269302

Sony is at a disadvantage in negotiations going forward.

"Never before has there been such transparency about exactly how much a studio pays, and about how they handle negotiations".

"This puts Sony at a disadvantage going forward. The next time an agent is negotiating a contract, they'll know if Sony's first offer is usually 50 percent less than where contracts land, or what perks the studio has a track record of folding on. We can bet that agents are digging through those emails".

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I agree that it's possible, but that goes back to why just release the gossipy emails one day at a time like a teenager's facebook hack? They've got the data and want revenge, what does North Korea gain by releasing shyt talk emails each day that aren't going to do any real long-term damage to Sony. Maybe at some point there will be that data dump that makes it all clear, but I'm still not seeing it.

It's been escalating though, with each drop, and always with the threat of more if the film isn't pulled. I don't know, feels pretty serious/real to me.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
After reading excerpts of Sue Kim's new book Without You There Is No Us, I'm confused how anyone in North Korea could pull off the Sony hack. She's said that the internet wasn't accessible to anyone in the country until 2011. You need years worth of crypto and network-security-protocol experience to even pull this off (sidebar: They also haven't left a single trace of who they are anywhere.)

If it was perpetrated by North Korea, then they had to get an outside black-hat contractor. Today was the first day I saw some outlets presenting the idea that the third party could be the Chinese. However I get skeptical whenever the Chinese are accused of hacking. It's a little known secret that attacks originating in China, are for the most part NOT coming from anyone in their government/country; but are rather being remotely controlled by people in the Western/Eastern-European world. (they have a lot of second-hand PCs that are pre-loaded with malware)

It all just seems so weak to me right now, and isn't this exactly why the NSA justifies direct access to underwater cables? There are very few nations that could pull this off: Russia, China, U.S., Israel, Japan, UK, Germany and India. Those are the only ones that even come to mind that could TECHNICALLY do it, nevermind the motive.

---

Exactly. I think Russia is behind this.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's been escalating though, with each drop, and always with the threat of more if the film isn't pulled. I don't know, feels pretty serious/real to me.

It looks like the hackers tried extorting Sony for money but they ignored them. They should've just paid the ransom for the data.

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.co...h-update-Executives-received-extortion-emails

"Now, new details have revealed that Sony executives were subjected to extortion attempts just days before the company's data was dumped online".

The Watcher

Judging you from afar
Daps
Reppin
Peepholes

I agree it's serious, whoever did this has 100TB of data, there's got to be something in there that will blow Sony completely up. I just have a hard time believing it's the North Koreans doing it in this particular fashion. This reads more like a corporate attack or disgruntled employee that is directing their leaks specifically at a few choice people. Like I said though, maybe there will be that data dump/attack tonight that makes it all clear.

I'm thinking I'll jump on board with Russia or the US right now though.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
If they tried to extort them then this ain't about North Korea, or the movie.

And to the cats scoffing at conspiracy theories....do ya Googles. Not saying this is that but a lot weirder shyt than this has been set up by rival governments.

Fred.

The Watcher

Judging you from afar
Daps
Reppin
Peepholes
It looks like the hackers tried extorting Sony for money but they ignored them. They should've just paid the ransom for the data.

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.co...h-update-Executives-received-extortion-emails

"Now, new details have revealed that Sony executives were subjected to extortion attempts just days before the company's data was dumped online".

They would've paid and still got exposed. Sony was never getting that data back, at the least, someone would've kept a backup and kept extorting them until they were out of money.

What they really should've done was hire one single competent IT person that would notice someone pulling 100TB worth of data off their servers. :heh:

Spidey Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Exactly. I think Russia is behind this.

I don't think this would be a nation. One would think a state actor would pick a better target than Sony Pictures and would waste time leaking Emails. I'd put my money on a business rival.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They would've paid and still got exposed. Sony was never getting that data back, at the least, someone would've kept a backup and kept extorting them until they were out of money.

What they really should've done was hire one single competent IT person that would notice someone pulling 100TB worth of data off their servers. :heh:

You're right they could've taken the money and still released everything. But ignoring the threat wasn't smart either.

I feel bad for the IT people working there especially the security guys. After a hack this big none of them will be able to find work again if Sony fires them. That's why I don't stick around long at companies who don't take security seriously.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
The Christmas present just hit.

The documents appear to be the entire email account of Sony Pictures Entertainment chairman and CEO Michael Lynton.

The leak marks an escalation in the attack carried out by unknown group of hackers, who call themselves Guardians of Peace. Unlike the email leaks of studio co-chairman Amy Pascal, who deals mostly with the talent and filmmaking process, Lynton’s emails likely reveal key financial strategy and details about SPE as well as perhaps parent company Sony Corp.

Lynton's email account contains 12,466 messages, which presumably includes deleted messages, dating from Nov. 12, 2008, to Nov. 21, 2014, three days before the hack was first noticed by the studio.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-hack-new-leaked-docs-758358

The Watcher

Judging you from afar
Daps
Reppin
Peepholes
You're right they could've taken the money and still released everything. But ignoring the threat wasn't smart either.

I feel bad for the IT people working there especially the security guys. After a hack this big none of them will be able to find work again if Sony fires them. That's why I don't stick around long at companies who don't take security seriously.

You and me both friend. I've been in the IT game a long ass time and done a lot of contracting work, I wouldn't ever put myself at risk staying at a company that doesn't take IT security seriously or outsources it.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
You and me both friend. I've been in the IT game a long ass time and done a lot of contracting work, I wouldn't ever put myself at risk staying at a company that doesn't take IT security seriously or outsources it.

I had to fire my last client for being sloppy maintaining the PCI compliance standards I implemented for them. Didn't want to be the next contestant on that summer jam screen aka television news.