The Sony Pictures Leak F**kery Thread

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And the media plays it off like hacking 100TB for months undetected from a MNC is some easy and novel feat. Yes they kept valuable info that wasn't encrypted and just plain-text(Chrome does this with all your saved data btw), but it's really difficult to even get to that data. They had to hack through numerous Linux and Windows server's to get there. And all those machines use tech encryption standards set forth by the US Govt. shyt doesn't add up, I feel like I'm watching a bad movie.

I wouldn't say its easy but cyber security isn't a high priority at most MNC. The Fed's spend billions on cybersecurity and still get hacked regularly. North Korea has nukes they should be able to pull of a hack like this with if they acquired the bomb.

Last edited:

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You and me both friend. I've been in the IT game a long ass time and done a lot of contracting work, I wouldn't ever put myself at risk staying at a company that doesn't take IT security seriously or outsources it.

I've worked at places where it took a few weeks to figure out just how much of a mess you've inherited. And then it's time to pull one of these moves and quietly find another job. I left this one job after only 4 months once I saw how bad the security was at that place.

homer-simpson-bsh-gif.gi

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wouldn't say its easy but cyber security isn't a high priority at most MNC. The Fed's spend billions on cybersecurity and still get hacked regularly. North Korea has nukes they should be able to pull of a hack like this with if they acquired the bomb.

I agree with it not being a priority, and at most places they place faith in pseudo security and state-sponsored third-party vendors. They like to do the "dance" w certificates and what not; but are def very susceptible from attack from black-haters w skill. I don't think a script kiddie could have pulled this off, for this long; without being detected.

And I haven't drank that NK nuclear capabilities koolaid yet ha

The Watcher

Judging you from afar
Daps
Reppin
Peepholes
I've worked at places where it took a few weeks to figure out just how much of a mess you've inherited. And then it's time to pull one of these moves and quietly find another job. I left this one job after only 4 months once I saw how bad the security was at that place.

homer-simpson-bsh-gif.gi

I walked out on a contract with a major US company on the first day when I saw a billion row employee table full of names, addresses, social security numbers (unencrypted of course), pay rate and direct deposit data that my "boss" told me wasn't priority to secure because they needed to fix their internal reporting before taking on any other "big projects".:pachaha:

They are lucky I am a moral person, otherwise I could've wiped the entire company out in one evil export and spent my days drinking umbrella drinks by the ocean somewhere warm.:pachaha:

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
I don't think a script kiddie could have pulled this off, for this long; without being detected.

From the very little I've read (haven't had time) about the actual hack....seems like they had two employee admin usernames and passwords and they worked from there. Bet those accounts were compromised using some sort of social engineering or phishing.

The best black hatters are master social engineers. All you need is a way to log on. Once you have that it's game over.

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I walked out on a contract with a major US company on the first day when I saw a billion row employee table full of names, addresses, social security numbers (unencrypted of course), pay rate and direct deposit data that my "boss" told me wasn't priority to secure because they needed to fix their internal reporting before taking on any other "big projects".:pachaha:

They are lucky I am a moral person, otherwise I could've wiped the entire company out in one evil export and spent my days drinking umbrella drinks by the ocean somewhere warm.:pachaha:

You're a goodman. Knowing my stoner ass would fukk up and leave a trace is what prevents me, not any morals ha.

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
From the very little I've read (haven't had time) about the actual hack....seems like they had two employee admin usernames and passwords and they worked from there. Bet those accounts were compromised using some sort of social engineering or phishing.

The best black hatters are master social engineers. All you need is a way to log on. Once you have that it's game over.

You either have to be a math-genius, phish/social-engineer targets or have a military-grade supercomputer

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You either have to be a math-genius, phish/social-engineer targets or have a military-grade supercomputer

Not if the hackers had some kind of insider assisting them. Just think of how much data Bradley Manning and Edward Snowden were able to steal. And I'm sure the Federal government attempts to safe guard data better than your average Corporation.

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Importance of Open Source Threat Intelligence in The Sony Breach
Thailand? Who Would Have Thought?

As you have probably heard, Sony Pictures Entertainment was recently the target of a major compromise, which involved the copying of vast amounts of data, including the personal details of employees, internal emails, and several unreleased movies. Reporting on this attack has largely focused on determining the potential source (with much speculation regarding North Korea), and only recently uncovering that a portion of the attack originated in Thailand, specifically a hotel and college in Bangkok.

This connection to Thailand is interesting, but for a different reason than just knowing where the attack came from. For us, the information on Thailand stuck out, thanks to a fairly recent Threat Intelligence information discussed at Defcon 22 last August.

Before we discuss that presentation, we should provide some background on Threat Intelligence. Threat Intelligence (TI) at its most basic level refers to the ways in which security professionals share information about attacker activity, hopefully before the attacks even occur. In recent years, this intelligence often takes the form of Threat Intelligence Feeds, which list malicious hosts (IPs, websites, etc.) that are generated by undercover operatives monitoring known command and control servers, and sharing the information gained from this activity. On the Defense-In-Depth Kill Chain (shown below), this type of work is aimed at preventing attacks in the Recon stage, before they even begin.

killchain-intelligence.png

At Defcon 22 in August,Alex Pinto and Kyle Maxwell gave a presentation called“Measuring the IQ of your Threat Intelligence Feeds” that discussed TI feeds and focused on using statistics to analyze their value, specifically focusing on using Open Source (i.e. publicly available) feeds. The presentation goes into great detail about the methods and mathematical modeling used for this analysis, looking for correlations between very large data sets to identify potential sources of attacks. In the video, the researchers do a good job of breaking down these concepts; however with regard to the Sony attack, their results are even more interesting. Around 32:25 in the video, listen to which country Mr. Pinto identifies as the number one source of malicious activity based on these Open Source feeds.

Not Russia, not China. Thailand.

This of course is not meant to imply anyone could have predicted the Sony attack. However, it does highlight how TI is being used already to start isolating threat sources. Since most TI feeds offer a ton of data, knowing how to sort and analyze that data to draw out the most valuable information is essential, and the Pinto & Maxwell presentation does an excellent job of showing how that can be done. With the right data analysis of TI feeds, security professionals have another advantage in preventing attacks before the Recon stage of the Kill Chain, and removing any attackers that may be lingering inside the network – what we call the Persistence stage. Threat Intelligence efforts should focus on data sharing methods as well as data analysis techniques. By sharing data about malicious activity, security teams are better equipped to prevent incidents from taking hold as soon as possible.

Additionally, and possibly more importantly for organizations considering where to allocate security budget, the Sony breach highlights the relative accuracy of Open Source TI feeds. While many companies receive value from commercial feeds, Pinto and Maxwell have shown that publicly available (read: free) TI feeds also provide benefits – they simply need the right kind of analysis. Is this to say that commercial TI feeds are worthless? Of course not, but the recent Sony breach combined with this information should give anyone a decent incentive to start including Open Source intelligence in their security efforts.

Could better TI have prevented Sony’s breach? We can’t even really know the answer here, but it couldn’t hurt. Better TI data, better data analysis, and better usage of that analysis can only help.

http://blog.securestate.com/open-source-threat-intelligence-sony-breach/

A deep timeline analysis too long to copy and paste: https://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/2014/12/a-breakdown-and-analysis-of-the-december-2014-sony-hack/

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not if the hackers had some kind of insider assisting them. Just think of how much data Bradley Manning and Edward Snowden were able to steal. And I'm sure the Federal government attempts to safe guard data better than your average Corporation.

I agree. In my mind social-engineering a target included turning them into an inside man.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
the worst part of this is that they won't leak the one movie i want them to leak - The Interview

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
the worst part of this is that they won't leak the one movie i want them to leak - The Interview

Seriously they could release that shyt super and killed the movie's momentum(sp). Now I just want to see the movie even more now.