The retail apocalypse has officially descended on America

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
The global economy exposed their business model-buy cheap from China-man and sell high. They were nothing more than glorified importers. Retail stores with real substance and differentiation will survive.
In certain parts of Western Europe youth unemployment is as high as 40% ....... a lot of the entry level retail jobs are gone

this is officially the first generation that will be worse off than their parents
Go to West Africa

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Gamestop you up next fukkboy
D0sewyX.gif

repped :russ:

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Thousands of mall-based stores are shutting down in what's fast becoming one of the biggest waves of retail closures in decades.

More than 3,500 stores are expected to close in the next couple of months.

Department stores like JCPenney, Macy's, Sears, and Kmart are among the companies shutting down stores, along with middle-of-the-mall chains like Crocs, BCBG, Abercrombie & Fitch, and Guess.

Some retailers are exiting the brick-and-mortar business altogether and trying to shift to an all-online model.

For example, Bebe is closing all its stores — about 170 — to focus on increasing its online sales, according to a Bloomberg report. The Limited also recently shut down all 250 of its stores, but it still sells merchandise online.

Others, such as Sears and JCPenney, are aggressively paring down their store counts to unload unprofitable locations and try to staunch losses.

58d1935c112f701b008b5d56-1200
Mike Nudelman

btw, SHAME on CVS. there is no reason they should be on this list. they are in the same business as walgreens and walgreens is doing just fine. how you gonna be in the pharmaceutical industry where your product is a necessity and have stores going out of business? that makes ZERO sense. can't order your prescriptions off amazon......well not yet at least :francis:

25YOUTHS!!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
#facts
I remember walking thru the mall and Sears/JcPenny etc was looking like a straight ghost town, I was legit wondering how they managed to stay in business. Stock looking like the shelves after black friday plus a storm warning.
Shyt was popping less than 10 yrs ago ago when I worked there in HS
The only things that seemed to be working were the smaller retail shops popping up

I'm not even mad tho, I'm part of the cause b/c I literally haven't been to mall in more than 2yrs:yeshrug:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I think it's reflective of geography. A lot America is not doing well, so why have a mall?

Meanwhile here in Charlotte we have 3 malls that are all thriving. I live within 10 miles of 2, along with a bunch of new and thriving smaller shopping centers.

I would bet there's a high correlation between mall closures and opioid abuse :mjcry:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Renting movies over the internet (Netflix) is a large part of what killed movie rental chains (Blockbuster, Hollywood Video).

when you think of it renting a movie was so inconvenient, had to drive to a mall or a store, had to have membership, if the movie was garbage you were stuck with it, had to drive back to teh mall or store when you were done and drop it off. I don't feel story for these businesses they never adapted. With all blockbuster had they could have easily invested and started their own netflix type service and with that name and the millions of membership they had but instead they stand still

the milk man didn't adapt
encarta didn't adapt sat still wanting 49.99 while wikipedia stole its thunder
netscape didn't adapt sat still while opera, google, firefox had its way
blockbuster didn't adapt sat still while redbox :scust: and netflix stomped it out
blackberry didn't adapt sat still while android came i
kodak didn't adapt sat still while film was dying
aol didn't adapt sat still
and sears,jc penny, macys, best buy etc. ain't adapting

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The crazy part is that malls are dying but those outdoor strip mall type spots are thriving. They building them things all over the place here and they crowded af

Those things have more restaurants and entertaining aspects tho. Retail stores will die but the malls will just need to be filled with something else. Every other store will be a dunkin starbucks or dave & busters

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
not sure if you realize what this will do to the economy and all the jobs that will be loss even if they only make minimum wage tons of people are going to be out of work
Industries move on all the time. Economies evolve. Large amount of people who worked the switchboards were put out out of work by direct dial calling. You want to bring them back too?