The Place Beyond the Pines. new Ryan Gosling da gawd movie

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I thought it was a good looking movie and the acting was nice but something about the movie just left me cold.

BamdaDon

All Star
Daps
movie had me like :lupe: the whole time and I aint ashamed :yeshrug: shyt was sick
they should have let the the cops son die, karma like a mutha

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This one is pretty new and valuable. Breaks down 50 movies in different genres and tells you the key plot points and tricks used in each.
Scriptshadow Secrets (500 Screenwriting Secrets Hidden Inside 50 Great Movies): Carson Reeves: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

This was a quick read but good. Especially if you already have something written.
Amazon.com: Your Screenplay Sucks!: 100 Ways to Make It Great (9781932907452): William M Akers: Books

This one is a really heavy read. Generally considered brilliant. Some people despise it.
Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting: Robert McKee: 9780060391683: Amazon.com: Books

One of the industry standards. A little outdated but a good base. An especially good read before or after you read Save The Cat.
Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting: Syd Field: 9780385339032: Amazon.com: Books

Not a screenplay book but essential in telling stories. George Lucas (and others) basically used this book as the Blueprint to build his career. This book is the blueprint to Star Wars.
The Hero with a Thousand Faces (The Collected Works of Joseph Campbell) Amazon.com: Books

I'll have to check my Kindle and iPad for more.

Made them into TinyURL links because The Coli rapes Amazon links. Tries to format them, add images. Looks horrible.

That's cool. It's always the same 15-20 books. Frankly, in my opinion I believe some people can do good just off 3-5 books. There are people who take it as a hobby and have got over a mill for scripts in comparison to those who went to school for screenwriting and have nothing.

Question, do you read the books while you're in the process of writing a script or do you read it first then write? Lately I've had a lot of free time to read but I don't know why I cant get my self to read. The funny thing is usually when I'm reading or writing dialogue for a script I can go on and on.

Ever sent a script to screenwriting contests/film festivals?

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
:snoop: at what happens to gosling less than an hour in.. cooper may have the more mainstream movies but he's not half as entertaining as gosling to me.

and someone PLEASE gif gosling dancing with the dog, if its not out there already :laff:

4.5/5

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
:snoop: at what happens to gosling less than an hour in.. cooper may have the more mainstream movies but he's not half as entertaining as gosling to me.

and someone PLEASE gif gosling dancing with the dog, if its not out there already :laff:

4.5/5

I had serious issue swith the way the move was formatted what with each story be sectioned off.
I think the movie would have been more enjoyable if the Gosling and Cooper storylines were running concurrently and then intersected with that last bank robbery instead of Gosling basically handing off the baton to Cooper. By having the separation it made the movie feel really disjointed to me.
And the final segment of the movie focusing on the two sons was ass.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
I had serious issue swith the way the move was formatted what with each story be sectioned off.
I think the movie would have been more enjoyable if the Gosling and Cooper storylines were running concurrently and then intersected with that last bank robbery instead of Gosling basically handing off the baton to Cooper. By having the separation it made the movie feel really disjointed to me.
And the final segment of the movie focusing on the two sons was ass.

The movie was about not being able to escape ones destiny and the sins of our fathers. If they hadn't made it disjointed it would have been a completely different movie.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
That's cool. It's always the same 15-20 books. Frankly, in my opinion I believe some people can do good just off 3-5 books. There are people who take it as a hobby and have got over a mill for scripts in comparison to those who went to school for screenwriting and have nothing.

Question, do you read the books while you're in the process of writing a script or do you read it first then write? Lately I've had a lot of free time to read but I don't know why I cant get my self to read. The funny thing is usually when I'm reading or writing dialogue for a script I can go on and on.

Ever sent a script to screenwriting contests/film festivals?

I read the usual suspects (Save the Cat, Syd's book, Robert's Story) before I even attempted to write anything. I have a full length that I'm about to finish. Every time I get a new book I'm back in there polishing stuff up. I might submit it for coverage or maybe a contest. It's definitely more indie than Hollywood high concept though. Which doesn't sell well on spec. Something I could shoot myself then attempt to go the film festival route. I got a full time thing going though. So writing is tough.

What I'm trying to crack right now is that short story/screenplay/movie. It's tough. I have a bunch of resources out in LA and I was hoping to go shoot a short there this summer but it's looking like I'm going to get there empty handed.

It's crazy seeing people on Done Deal Pro get scripts optioned that never get made. Hollywood is a crazy place. I'm waiting for someone to disrupt their distribution model. YouTube has come the closest

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The movie was about not being able to escape ones destiny and the sins of our fathers. If they hadn't made it disjointed it would have been a completely different movie.

And that would not have been a bad thing in my opinion cause I didn't like the movie that it was.

KOTK

Pro
Daps
I really despised this once it went all Copland. Don't even get me started on the predictable bollocks with the kids. Alternative names for this film: The Place Beyond The shyt. The shyt Beyond The Pines.

This film was shyt.

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I really despised this once it went all Copland. Don't even get me started on the predictable bollocks with the kids. Alternative names for this film: The Place Beyond The shyt. The shyt Beyond The Pines.

This film was shyt.

I feel the same way. the first 50 minutes of the movie was on its way of being a classic. gosling da gawd

DredScott

Take these jewelz...
Daps
movie had me like :lupe: the whole time and I aint ashamed :yeshrug: shyt was sick
they should have let the the cops son die, karma like a mutha

i agree with your spoiler sentiment...but

i believe that the director wanted to show that more often than not sons are more likely to follow in their father's footsteps regardless of what other factors occurred and I think that's why the movie ended with each son pretty much following that paths that their fathers took despite them living different lives and being different ppl in their own right. the vicious cycle of life i suppose.

that's just how i feel though. :manny:

and
essentially switching your main character less than midway through the film is a ridiculously huge risk but it didn't end nearly as badly as it could and should have. i give props to cianfrance for pulling that off even if he killed off the most interesting character before half of the movie was over.

either way, dope flick that coulda been classic but couldn't quite pull it off. props for a movie actually trying to though instead of just insulting our intelligence.

"if you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." indeed. :wow:

now i just need that Only God Forgives in my life.

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I just watched this movie and honestly??.....

it fukkin sucked.

I was very disappointed with this crap movie.