dope movie no boring parts at all they tricked me tho more drama then action

but good drama nikka almost shed a tear

Allah

Pro
Daps
Reppin
I really hope nikkas arent sleeping on this, movie was piff all the way around

only complaint is
i wanted b cooper and his cac son to get capped but i can see how it was better for dude to just leave but still

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
I really hope nikkas arent sleeping on this, movie was piff all the way around

only complaint is
i wanted b cooper and his cac son to get capped but i can see how it was better for dude to just leave but still

Spoiler

Yea his son needed to get thrown in the bushes
What was the point of brad son trying to kick it with dude did he know?

K-Deini

GOAT
Supporter
Daps
good movie. little long tho, was only complaint.

dont really know what eva mendes was expecting from gosling. like you just randomly show up, dont tell him you have a kid and youre with another guy?

but then youre fukking him in the trailer and going out for ice cream? he buys the baby a crib while youre letting another man raise his baby, the fukk do u expect him to act? that shyt bugged me. man was trying to do right by his kid, but you still cant decide who u wanna be with, which in turn resulted in everything happening the way it did.

when aj was left alive i was :angry:. whoever played that kid did a good job cuz i hated that fukking fakkit. annoying motherfukker.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Really good, the director same as 'Blue Valentine' as a great style touch, cinematography, to his movies, very 'real' but an artistic blur to it, like a painting. Gosling, and these types of movies, like the other one coming out 'Only God Forgives' are becoming like a sub genre of their own, kind of dreamy crime thrillers with the stoic lead, in the Man With No Name' role. This is a more realistic tone then 'Drive', less dreamy/fairy tale, and the director probably over reaches a bit, in the last 30 min or so...but it's all very well acted, Liotta steals every scene he's in, and Eva Mendes...I knew she had talent from 'Last Night, but she was fantastic in this. Bradley Cooper too, shows 'Silver Linings' wasn't a one off thing, Gosling does his thing, and people will say he's doing the same role, but he nails this.

I had the kids mixed up for first few minutes, AJ was more like Gosling to me, voice/looks wise..

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
very 'real' but an artistic blur to it, like a painting. Gosling, and these types of movies, like the other one coming out 'Only God Forgives' are becoming like a sub genre of their own, kind of dreamy crime thrillers with the stoic lead, in the Man With No Name' role.

What you're essentially describing is film noir (neo noir if you're being technical).

Fatalism, predestination are usually explored. Feature an anti-hero, alienated from society, facing moral decisions, unable to escape the destiny set out for him Etc etc.

SPOILERS for anyone who hasn't seen it.

My take which could obviously be different from the take of others.:
This movie has two anti-hero's. And they are explored in different ways. Fatalism, again, a huge theme. We see it with the cop who doesn't want to be in politics and ends up following his Dad's lead. We see it with Gosling's character who doesn't want to be a dead beat dad who isn't there for his son but can't escape that either. We see them both taking action away from very things that they do not want to do.

Goesling makes overtures to becoming a family man and seems to have enough money to get out. Or at least a solid plan. But snaps. And the cop tries to do the decent thing. But after a close brush with dead. He metaphorically dies as he makes that u-turn. And comes back a changed person and chooses to do grimey shyt in order to climb the ladder his Dad did.

They end up right back where they didn't want to be to begin with. The cop becomes a politican. Goslings character dies and is inevitably not there for his kid. And that's the only way it could have played out. It's the only way it would have played out. Their paths were destined to cross. As was their sons.

And then you see the whole fatalism and predestination play out with their kids. Who are paying for the sins of their fathers in different ways. One kid who has a Dad who chooses not to be there and is a fukk up. And another kid who has a Dad that can't be there but still grew up with a loving substitute father and he's still fukked up. So even though Gosling's kid got a Dad. There was no way he was escaping the destiny his Dad lay out before him. Regardless of the actions that took place during the movie, both of the kids were going to end up right where they were at the end.

Each kid ended up accepting the destiny set out before them. We see it when the one kid cracks a smile when he hears his Dad start to deliver the speech. And we see it when the other kid hits the road and essentially accepts the fate of his Dad and starts the cycle over again.

There's also some stuff there with the title. Beyond the pines. I'm pretty sure it has some other more concrete meaning. But the title is purposely done. And has a lot of metaphorical meaning also. Escaping past the Pines as the one kid did at the end. And the 2 close calls with his life that the cop/politician faced in the pines. Just before the end of that road. Destiny. Blah blah blah. The title is loaded with meaning.

Haven't had much time to think about the apology scene at the end. I know it was a test all along. Just like the first encounter the cop was to have at that same spot. When the other cops tested him. Not sure if the cop was born again metaphorically. Since it seemed like business as usual in the end. I'll have to see the movie again, more closely, without my girl this time.

It was brilliantly done IMO.
I can go on forever about the themes in this movie. Sorry about not being able to remember character names. It's been a few weeks since I saw it.

Gosling plays the role of the anti-hero very well. He's the go to actor for this type of shyt.

Trust Me

Coli Prophet
Daps
Reppin
Orlando
Watched this the other day.. and as a father.. it made me feel somewhat uncomfortable. Just in the general direction of the movie.

That's not to say it wasn't good.. because I really liked it.. it just made me feel .. awkward.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
Watched this the other day.. and as a father.. it made me feel somewhat uncomfortable. Just in the general direction of the movie.

That's not to say it wasn't good.. because I really liked it.. it just made me feel .. awkward.

Read my spoiler tag. The movie is pretty much about generations of fathers and sons and destiny.

dave

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
this movie was piff!

gosling and cooper da gawds