The Place Beyond the Pines. new Ryan Gosling da gawd movie

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
The cinematography in that final chase scene :ohlawd:

Anyways after watching the movie.........They did a good job with the trailer.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Very good movie, better than I expected. Did pretty seldom at the box office, its 10th at the box office this weekend with less than 19 mill in 6 weeks. You would think with these big names it would do better.

Anyways, it was written well (i.e. how we were able to revisit old locations and see old items). I liked the first 90 minutes and the last 50 as well, I just think they should've added 10 minutes to the first part and taken out 10 from the last part, just so we could possibly see an aftermath. Wanted to see Liotta and his team more.

I hated Bradley Cooper's son for some reason though lol.

8/10

What you're essentially describing is film noir (neo noir if you're being technical).

Fatalism, predestination are usually explored. Feature an anti-hero, alienated from society, facing moral decisions, unable to escape the destiny set out for him Etc etc.

SPOILERS for anyone who hasn't seen it.

My take which could obviously be different from the take of others.:
This movie has two anti-hero's. And they are explored in different ways. Fatalism, again, a huge theme. We see it with the cop who doesn't want to be in politics and ends up following his Dad's lead. We see it with Gosling's character who doesn't want to be a dead beat dad who isn't there for his son but can't escape that either. We see them both taking action away from very things that they do not want to do.

Goesling makes overtures to becoming a family man and seems to have enough money to get out. Or at least a solid plan. But snaps. And the cop tries to do the decent thing. But after a close brush with dead. He metaphorically dies as he makes that u-turn. And comes back a changed person and chooses to do grimey shyt in order to climb the ladder his Dad did.

They end up right back where they didn't want to be to begin with. The cop becomes a politican. Goslings character dies and is inevitably not there for his kid. And that's the only way it could have played out. It's the only way it would have played out. Their paths were destined to cross. As was their sons.

And then you see the whole fatalism and predestination play out with their kids. Who are paying for the sins of their fathers in different ways. One kid who has a Dad who chooses not to be there and is a fukk up. And another kid who has a Dad that can't be there but still grew up with a loving substitute father and he's still fukked up. So even though Gosling's kid got a Dad. There was no way he was escaping the destiny his Dad lay out before him. Regardless of the actions that took place during the movie, both of the kids were going to end up right where they were at the end.

Each kid ended up accepting the destiny set out before them. We see it when the one kid cracks a smile when he hears his Dad start to deliver the speech. And we see it when the other kid hits the road and essentially accepts the fate of his Dad and starts the cycle over again.

There's also some stuff there with the title. Beyond the pines. I'm pretty sure it has some other more concrete meaning. But the title is purposely done. And has a lot of metaphorical meaning also. Escaping past the Pines as the one kid did at the end. And the 2 close calls with his life that the cop/politician faced in the pines. Just before the end of that road. Destiny. Blah blah blah. The title is loaded with meaning.

Haven't had much time to think about the apology scene at the end. I know it was a test all along. Just like the first encounter the cop was to have at that same spot. When the other cops tested him. Not sure if the cop was born again metaphorically. Since it seemed like business as usual in the end. I'll have to see the movie again, more closely, without my girl this time.

It was brilliantly done IMO.
I can go on forever about the themes in this movie. Sorry about not being able to remember character names. It's been a few weeks since I saw it.

Gosling plays the role of the anti-hero very well. He's the go to actor for this type of shyt.

That's a very good analysis. Not many people could catch onto that. You a film/screenwriting major or something?

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
That's a very good analysis. Not many people could catch onto that. You a film/screenwriting major or something?

More of a hobby. I've done workshops and probably read about 15 books on screenwriting and story. If I'm ever successful enough at what I'm doing now and can support myself and the time off needed I'll give the screenwriting thing a legit shot.

The girlfriend wants a ring :damn:

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
More of a hobby. I've done workshops and probably read about 15 books on screenwriting and story. If I'm ever successful enough at what I'm doing now and can support myself and the time off needed I'll give the screenwriting thing a legit shot.

The girlfriend wants a ring :damn:

Any books you recommend?

I've read Tom Lazarus - Secret of Film Writing

Currently reading The Screenwriters Bible by David Trottier. I've also checked out Story and Save the Cat

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What you're essentially describing is film noir (neo noir if you're being technical).

Fatalism, predestination are usually explored. Feature an anti-hero, alienated from society, facing moral decisions, unable to escape the destiny set out for him Etc etc.

SPOILERS for anyone who hasn't seen it.

My take which could obviously be different from the take of others.:
This movie has two anti-hero's. And they are explored in different ways. Fatalism, again, a huge theme. We see it with the cop who doesn't want to be in politics and ends up following his Dad's lead. We see it with Gosling's character who doesn't want to be a dead beat dad who isn't there for his son but can't escape that either. We see them both taking action away from very things that they do not want to do.

Goesling makes overtures to becoming a family man and seems to have enough money to get out. Or at least a solid plan. But snaps. And the cop tries to do the decent thing. But after a close brush with dead. He metaphorically dies as he makes that u-turn. And comes back a changed person and chooses to do grimey shyt in order to climb the ladder his Dad did.

They end up right back where they didn't want to be to begin with. The cop becomes a politican. Goslings character dies and is inevitably not there for his kid. And that's the only way it could have played out. It's the only way it would have played out. Their paths were destined to cross. As was their sons.

And then you see the whole fatalism and predestination play out with their kids. Who are paying for the sins of their fathers in different ways. One kid who has a Dad who chooses not to be there and is a fukk up. And another kid who has a Dad that can't be there but still grew up with a loving substitute father and he's still fukked up. So even though Gosling's kid got a Dad. There was no way he was escaping the destiny his Dad lay out before him. Regardless of the actions that took place during the movie, both of the kids were going to end up right where they were at the end.

Each kid ended up accepting the destiny set out before them. We see it when the one kid cracks a smile when he hears his Dad start to deliver the speech. And we see it when the other kid hits the road and essentially accepts the fate of his Dad and starts the cycle over again.

There's also some stuff there with the title. Beyond the pines. I'm pretty sure it has some other more concrete meaning. But the title is purposely done. And has a lot of metaphorical meaning also. Escaping past the Pines as the one kid did at the end. And the 2 close calls with his life that the cop/politician faced in the pines. Just before the end of that road. Destiny. Blah blah blah. The title is loaded with meaning.

Haven't had much time to think about the apology scene at the end. I know it was a test all along. Just like the first encounter the cop was to have at that same spot. When the other cops tested him. Not sure if the cop was born again metaphorically. Since it seemed like business as usual in the end. I'll have to see the movie again, more closely, without my girl this time.

It was brilliantly done IMO.
I can go on forever about the themes in this movie. Sorry about not being able to remember character names. It's been a few weeks since I saw it.

Gosling plays the role of the anti-hero very well. He's the go to actor for this type of shyt.

7YaU5.gif

diggy

Florida Man
Supporter
Daps
One of my friends took this pic at a local theater in the Ft Lauderdale area, lmao

601027_10200282748969444_406723271_n.jpg

Xtraz2

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles, CA
Watched this the other day.. and as a father.. it made me feel somewhat uncomfortable. Just in the general direction of the movie.

That's not to say it wasn't good.. because I really liked it.. it just made me feel .. awkward.

Was it vulgar :scusthov:

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
Any books you recommend?

I've read Tom Lazarus - Secret of Film Writing

Currently reading The Screenwriters Bible by David Trottier. I've also checked out Story and Save the Cat

This one is pretty new and valuable. Breaks down 50 movies in different genres and tells you the key plot points and tricks used in each.
Scriptshadow Secrets (500 Screenwriting Secrets Hidden Inside 50 Great Movies): Carson Reeves: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

This was a quick read but good. Especially if you already have something written.
Amazon.com: Your Screenplay Sucks!: 100 Ways to Make It Great (9781932907452): William M Akers: Books

This one is a really heavy read. Generally considered brilliant. Some people despise it.
Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting: Robert McKee: 9780060391683: Amazon.com: Books

One of the industry standards. A little outdated but a good base. An especially good read before or after you read Save The Cat.
Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting: Syd Field: 9780385339032: Amazon.com: Books

Not a screenplay book but essential in telling stories. George Lucas (and others) basically used this book as the Blueprint to build his career. This book is the blueprint to Star Wars.
The Hero with a Thousand Faces (The Collected Works of Joseph Campbell) Amazon.com: Books

I'll have to check my Kindle and iPad for more.

Made them into TinyURL links because The Coli rapes Amazon links. Tries to format them, add images. Looks horrible.