The percentage of physicians who are Black men was the same in 2018 as it was in 1940.

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
How many Black parents have the resources it takes to get their kid to be a physician?

These high skilled jobs require a lot of resources and networking. It is much easier if your parents were professional in that field.
Many of our kids will be the second or first generation in their family going to college. That's a very difficult jump to go from a poor/working class family to preparing for graduate school and a professional career. Then consider you have to compete against kids who are second, third or fourth generation in that field.

Weak argument

Forlife44

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Agree with divestors brehs. Bm don't even know when their being mocked.

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
Weak argument

It's not a weak argument.

You can't just say Black folks are under represented in these professional fields because we are just too stupid and lazy and don't value education.
That is bullshyt.

You know goddamn well it takes resources and networks to make it in these fields.
It's very difficult to do it being one two generations removed from the "hood" and you didn't have access to professional parents or family/friends in those professional fields.

Last edited:

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
It’s just a brutal process and an occupation with a very high entry point. My girl did four years of undergrad in biology, a post bacc program, took the MCAT and didn’t like her score, studied for another 6 months and retook it, didn’t match, did a gap year, matched, now she’s in year two of a three year residency program, and she’s going to do to a Ob/GYN fellowship after she finishes this residency. That’s 14 years! She did all this by herself, no family money or resources — and despite her obvious dedication — she even feels like she wants to quit at times because of the grueling nature of residency.

When I was taking the pre-med prereqs in undergrad, I would have 2/3 other black dudes in my classes out of hundreds of students. Ultimately, I couldn’t see myself being poor for another ten years, so I went another route; but I’d say the entry point is a big deterrent, most people don’t “think” they can do it, and brehs that do go to college would rather go into other fields with more immediate results.

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
These high skilled jobs require a lot of resources and networking. It is much easier if your parents were professional in that field.
Many of our kids will be the second or first generation in their family going to college. That's a very difficult jump to go from a poor/working class family to preparing for graduate school and a professional career. Then consider you have to compete against kids who are second, third or fourth generation in that field.

We got the resources for nice clothes, cars and other ni66a shyt, but all of a sudden we can’t put away money for a college education.

:what:

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
We got the resources for nice clothes, cars and other ni66a shyt, but all of a sudden we can’t put away money for a college education.

nikkas just spend all their money on Jordans and Gucci belts huh?
Black folks save at rates higher than other groups, but as a group we have less overall wealth to save.

It takes more than money for college to get kids ready for those elite professions.
My point is you have to have the resources and support systems to prepare a child to even think about being able to compete in college and beyondentation in these fields.

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
It's not a weak argument.

You can't just say Black folks are under represented in these professional fields because we are just too stupid and lazy and don't value education.
That is bullshyt.

You know goddamn well it takes resources and networks to make it in these fields.
It's very difficult to do it being one two generations removed from the "hood" and you didn't have access to professional parents or family/friends in those professional fields.

We don’t value education and the stats show it.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
1. some of you nikkas are so defensive about everything and always think black men are being attacked it's pretty sad and pathetic :heh:

2.One thing that's not really talked about is that black men and school aren't a good mix. We get trauma from coming up in school, think about all the times we get in trouble for nothing, all the unfairness year after year from teachers and principals, the ISS out of school suspensions etc So we trying to get that diploma and be done with it (keepin it real most us done and fed up with school by 7th grade), some of us suck it up and do another 4 and get a bachelors if we really suck it up and push through but the amount of schooling to get a MD is even more than that. Most cats have 0 aspirations to be a DR cause of that shyt alone.
and take IT shyt for instance cats learn that by doing 8 week bootcamps etc
Nobody ever talks about how hard it is to try to like school being a young black man and how going through it really hinders our future potential.

High Art

👑King of The Salon👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself and my own.
How many Black parents have the resources it takes to get their kid to be a physician?

This is very spot on. Going through, I did not know much about the medical field and so I was hindered by that lack of knowledge, whereas my younger brothers and sisters knew a lot because of me hand damn near skated through. Mentoring children, I was also surprised how many knew about all the different roles in medicine.

One thing that is not mentioned enough is how valuable it is for someone to speak spanish these days. It gives you a clear advantage and widens your options when it comes time for a residency. I can't fathom how many times I was asked about my fluency (or lack of).

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Personal accountability takes a backseat to copping pleas on this forum. That's one of the reasons why some here HATE to see/read about successful Black people. Especially those from the same socioeconomic background as them.