The percentage of physicians who are Black men was the same in 2018 as it was in 1940.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Fair enough. I'll give op the benefit of the doubt.

As I already mentioned my sister went to a non hbcu med school and she would always complain about how there weren't enough black students with her in her class. I think it took a mental toll on her dealing with white type A personalities. It's a common gripe of black med students in general.
Thanks for sharing the story/insight.
Long difficult road to becoming a physician. Was disheartened the past several years to see serious discussions devolve into shucking and jiving contests. Especially the ones about the decrease of Black students pursuing and completing medical training.
I cringe to think that some of the buffoons here have children.

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
How many Black parents have the resources it takes to get their kid to be a physician?

These high skilled jobs require a lot of resources and networking. It is much easier if your parents were professional in that field.
Many of our kids will be the second or first generation in their family going to college. That's a very difficult jump to go from a poor/working class family to preparing for graduate school and a professional career. Then consider you have to compete against kids who are second, third or fourth generation in that field.

What are these resources and networks that make it nearly impossible for Black men to become doctors?

360Waves

2 girls and they get along like I'm Lou Will
Daps
Reppin
NYC
And the worse part is that of that 2.6 percent the overwhelming majority are NOT ADOS. 95 pct of black doctors and engineers I know are African/Caribbean.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
What are these resources and networks that make it nearly impossible for Black men to become doctors?

Rich parents for one

Kaplan Test Prep MCAT Summer Intensive. $8,499 or 3 Payments of $2,833 for this Kaplan MCAT course.

Also, children of Drs have a much easier time getting shadowing opportunities because they're already plugged into their parents network (you need to shadow a doc in order to apply)

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman

Money for tutors and other kind of out of school learning activities.

People around you who have professional experience. Tutors.

Our kids are not just competing against other kids. They are competing against those families and all their resources.

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
Money for tutors and other kind of out of school learning activities.

People around you who have professional experience. Tutors.

Our kids are not just competing against other kids. They are competing against those families and all their resources.

OK, you’re right. Black people are unable to hire tutors.

saturn7

Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
We don’t value education and the stats show it.

I agree in some ways we are too relaxed with our kids education. Especially if you are expecting your kid to be a doctor or lawyer and you haven't prepared them to be able to complete those studies.

I wouldn't go as far to say Black folks don't value education at all.

Furthermore, low family wealth can have an adverse effect on the next generation’s educational attainment. Family wealth is a predictor of both college attendance and college completion (Meschede et al. 2017). Black students are more likely to take on student loans and accumulate student loan debt, and they are more likely than white students to drop-out of a university because of financial concerns. Ironically, their wealth position could deteriorate because of their intense motivation to pursue higher education (Shapiro et al 2013). Another commonly held misconception is that black families have a cultural predisposition to under-value education (Loury 1985, Ogbu 1978). Black parents are alleged to invest insufficiently in their children’s education. However, the best evidence indicates that black families, controlling for household type and socioeconomic status, tend to be more supportive than white families of their children’s education through direct financial support. Black parents who provide some support for their children’s higher education have two thirds of the median net worth of white parents who provide no support for their children’s higher education. (Nam et al., 2015). For given levels of household income, parental educational attainment, and/or parental occupational status, black youth also get more years of schooling and acquire more credentials than white youth whose parents have a similar status (Mason 1997, Mangino 2010).

https://socialequity.duke.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/what-we-get-wrong.pdf

saturn7

Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
OK, you’re right. Black people are unable to hire tutors.

Half of our population is fukking poor.
You can't just look at these issues separately.

Black folks are over-represented in the poor category. Education is expensive.
Yall expect to produce doctors. lawyers, accountants, engineers from financially unstable families with limited resources, kids attending public schools etc.
While those poor Black students will be competing against kids from families with more wealth, resources, private school level educations and social networks that can provide invaluable assistance to those kids.

You can't just tell Black kids to "study harder", when you didn't provide them the resources to be successful.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Rich parents for one

Kaplan Test Prep MCAT Summer Intensive. $8,499 or 3 Payments of $2,833 for this Kaplan MCAT course.

Also, children of Drs have a much easier time getting shadowing opportunities because they're already plugged into their parents network (you need to shadow a doc in order to apply)
Exactly what i went through, trying help my girl prepare for the MCAT. We simply couldn't afford that Kaplan prep stuff.

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
Exactly what i went through, trying help my girl prepare for the MCAT. We simply couldn't afford that Kaplan prep stuff.

Exactly. I had to be my sister's "rich" parent. Thankfully I'm 7 years older than her and had been working as an engineer for those years

Once you do well on the MCAT you have to pay application fees to every school you apply to.

That ranges from $75-100

So you applied to 20 schools and 10 like your application, the next step is on campus interviews.

No they're not coming to you, they're demanding you fly to them. So that's 10 plane tickets and 20 hotel reservations, food expenses for the trip, some Ubers and car rentals, interview attire, etc...

Her application process set me back for a good 2 years for a total $15k.