The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Uh Oh

Bake 'em away, toys
Daps
what games all my PC brehs playing?
I've been playing Don't Starve Together a ton for the last few weeks. This past weekend I started playing Rogue Legacy. So addicting :ohlawd: I'm always telling myself "Just one more run".

I just bought Valkyria Chronicles. I've been itching to play a good turn-based RPG.
Dying Light doesn't look as great as I was hoping it would, but I still might impulse buy it if there's a good deal. I love co-op games :noah:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
so it turns out nvidia did lie miscommunicate about the memory in the 970's

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...Full-Memory-Structure-and-Limitations-GTX-970

Yes, that last 0.5GB of memory on your GeForce GTX 970 does run slower than the first 3.5GB. More interesting than that fact is the reason why it does, and why the result is better than you might have otherwise expected. Last night we got a chance to talk with NVIDIA’s Senior VP of GPU Engineering, Jonah Alben on this specific concern and got a detailed explanation to why gamers are seeing what they are seeing along with new disclosures on the architecture of the GM204 version of Maxwell.

For those looking for a little background, you should read over my story from this weekend that looks at NVIDIA's first response to the claims that the GeForce GTX 970 cards currently selling were only properly utilizing 3.5GB of the 4GB frame buffer. While it definitely helped answer some questions it raised plenty more which is whey we requested a talk with Alben, even on a Sunday.

First, despite initial reviews and information from NVIDIA, the GTX 970 actually has fewer ROPs and less L2 cache than the GTX 980. NVIDIA says this was an error in the reviewer’s guide and a misunderstanding between the engineering team and the technical PR team on how the architecture itself functioned. That means the GTX 970 has 56 ROPs and 1792 KB of L2 cache compared to 64 ROPs and 2048 KB of L2 cache for the GTX 980. Before people complain about the ROP count difference as a performance bottleneck, keep in mind that the 13 SMMs in the GTX 970 can only output 52 pixels/clock and the seven segments of 8 ROPs each (56 total) can handle 56 pixels/clock. The SMMs are the bottleneck, not the ROPs.

Accessing that 500MB of memory on its own is slower. Accessing that 500MB as part of the 4GB total slows things down by 4-6%, at least according to NVIDIA. So now the difficult question: did NVIDIA lie to us?

At the very least, the company did not fully disclose the missing L2 and ROP partition on the GTX 970, even if it was due to miscommunication internally. The question “should the GTX 970 be called a 3.5GB card?” is more of a philosophical debate. There is 4GB of physical memory on the card and you can definitely access all 4GB of when the game and operating system determine it is necessary. But 1/8th of that memory can only be accessed in a slower manner than the other 7/8th, even if that 1/8th is 4x faster than system memory over PCI Express. NVIDIA claims that the architecture is working exactly as intended and that with competent OS heuristics the performance difference should be negligible in real-world gaming scenarios.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Brehs what's good with random nikkas adding you on steam and then hitting you up talking about their friend wanting to trade with you?? This the second time this has happened to me.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Brehs what's good with random nikkas adding you on steam and then hitting you up talking about their friend wanting to trade with you?? This the second time this has happened to me.
shyts a scam

I got a friend request from some random today. private profile and level zero. :childplease: rejected :camby:

BDsavage92

lil boi
Daps
Reppin
Earth
P1nceJm.png

Is this build okay? My budget is $1000.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
shyts a scam

I got a friend request from some random today. private profile and level zero. :childplease: rejected :camby:
I figured that... I knew it wasn't no coli breh because at least a Coli breh would have mutual friends or at least say they're from the Coli. I just ignored the message and kept it moving.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I figured that... I knew it wasn't no coli breh because at least a Coli breh would have mutual friends or at least say they're from the Coli. I just ignored the message and kept it moving.
yep, just know they're out there and look for 'red flags'

don't get...

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
so it turns out nvidia did lie miscommunicate about the memory in the 970's

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...Full-Memory-Structure-and-Limitations-GTX-970

Nvidia is turning into a joke. What's happening to them?

AMD better come correct with their new cards. I've about had it up to here with nvidia recently. With physx being fukked up in win 8.1 to terrible sli support, to only updating one or 2 games with each new driver, shyt is becoming absurd. :pacspit:

Now this too. No wonder all the consoles went amd this generation.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Nvidia is turning into a joke. What's happening to them?

AMD better come correct with their new cards. I've about had it up to here with nvidia recently. With physx being fukked up in win 8.1 to terrible sli support, to only updating one or 2 games with each new driver, shyt is becoming absurd. :pacspit:
I hope the get held to the fire with this shyt. a lot of it is kind of wishy-washy, and just typical deceptive marketing crap. but "whoops, we gave out the wrong ROP numbers" is some straight up bullshyt :ufdup: