The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

2gunsup

Satsui No Hado
Daps
Reppin
Popozudas
Don't ever do a mini-itx build. spent the whole day taking it apart and putting it back together just to transfer a PC that already worked to a Fractal Node 304. Damn temps are idling in the high 30s to low 40s but I don't feel like re-seating the processor tonight so it is what it is.

My mini, :ohlawd:

I'm dreading the day I have to go in there and change some shyt. Was going to purchase a M.2 SSD for it but the slot is on the backside of the mobo, :whoa:

eZWX96F.jpg

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I havent built systems in years but I remember it was always recommended to use your own thermal paste rather than the factory one, is that no longer the case?
the stock heatsinks usually come with thermal paste already applied. I wouldn't worry about getting better thermal paste if you're using the stock heatsink. but if you're using a third party heatsink you might as well get some quality thermal paste

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
I went for the Gigabyte 970 will see how that goes but with my beast of a monitor (The ASUS ROG 1440P) it’s very good.
:banderas:

PC booted up fine after installing Windows. Ran some benchmarking tests. I then started to update a few programs and then the PC powers off and does not power up at all.

I remove the case and the motherboard powers on, light shows and its breathing. I have this MB - Mod 1150 ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Hero ATX Motherboard

Removed the MB, PSU and fans and tested it on my desk. As I thought the cooler bracket could be shorting it or maybe the MB standoffs. Again the MB powered on and light showed however fans not moving and not light on the CPU cooler case.

I then done the following:

Flashed the BIOS on the MB with USB
Changed PSU to a known working one
Removed CPU to test if onboard fan powers on
Tested memory slots 1 by 1 (haven’t tried new memory stick yet)

So it would suggest that the MB is dead even though I just took it out package the same day. Also cannot undertsnad why the lights would power up on MB and even breathes.

In all my years building PCS I jave never come across the CPU failing, they are pretty solid. I haven’t overclocked it or anything I have Devils Canyon i7

Any ideas fellow master racers.

Usually I like the "game" of finding the issue, but man I just wanna play on my mointor.

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I went for the Gigabyte 970 will see how that goes but with my beast of a monitor (The ASUS ROG 1440P) it’s very good.
:banderas:

PC booted up fine after installing Windows. Ran some benchmarking tests. I then started to update a few programs and then the PC powers off and does not power up at all.

I remove the case and the motherboard powers on, light shows and its breathing. I have this MB -
Removed the MB, PSU and fans and tested it on my desk. As I thought the cooler bracket could be shorting it or maybe the MB standoffs. Again the MB powered on and light showed however fans not moving and not light on the CPU cooler case.

I then done the following:

Flashed the BIOS on the MB with USB
Changed PSU to a known working one
Removed CPU to test if onboard fan powers on
Tested memory slots 1 by 1 (haven’t tried new memory stick yet)

So it would suggest that the MB is dead even though I just took it out package the same day. Also cannot undertsnad why the lights would power up on MB and even breathes.

In all my years building PCS I jave never come across the CPU failing, they are pretty solid. I haven’t overclocked it or anything I have Devils Canyon i7

Any ideas fellow master racers.

Usually I like the "game" of finding the issue, but man I just wanna play on my mointor.
My Asus does that. I have to turn off the power supply and turn it back on again or else the mobo won't power on properly. So basically I give it power and the lights turn on but it won't power on if I remove power and replug it up it powers on properly.

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
My Asus does that. I have to turn off the power supply and turn it back on again or else the mobo won't power on properly. So basically I give it power and the lights turn on but it won't power on if I remove power and replug it up it powers on properly.

Does this happen all the time, surely thats a flaw ?

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Maybe battlefield hardline will motivate me to finally upgrade my computer.. ive just found 0 reason to upgrade yet

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
GTAV PC: New Release Date, First Screens and System Specs (March 24, 2015)
Minimum specifications:

• OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 64 Bit Service Pack 2* (*NVIDIA video card recommended if running Vista OS)
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @ 2.5GHz
  • Memory: 4GB
  • Video Card: NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB / AMD HD 4870 1GB (DX 10, 10.1, 11)
  • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
  • HDD Space: 65GB
  • DVD Drive

Recommended specifications:
  • OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHZ (4 CPUs) / AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHZ (8 CPUs)
  • Memory: 8GB
  • Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB / AMD HD7870 2GB
  • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
  • HDD Space: 65GB
  • DVD Drive
:snoop: