The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
i do have cable.
Then if you get that you have 3 tuners on it to do as you see fit. You can record on all three or watch TV on all three in three separate locations simultaneously or any mix in between that. The only problem is DVR access If you record a protected channel (something like HBO). You need an official supported extender. The main one is an Xbox 360. Outside that any DLNA device can access the channels from one of the tuners. You wouldn't get the full blown TV interface with the guide and all that unless you use a Windows Media Center Extender though. DVR recordings that aren't protected are basically just Windows Media files that can be played freely on anything that can read them.

Like I said it blows what the cable company offers out of the water. The only downfall is no On-Demand which really only sucks if you have the premium channels anyway. I mean DVR service fees and box rentals are probably upwards of $25 a month and they do far less than this setup which only cost you whatever the cable company charges to rent a cable card. Mine charges $2 a month. If one box is included in your cable subscription by default then they actually have to give you a credit if you're using your own equipment. Comcast gives a $2.50 credit back if you have this setup instead of their boxes.

I mainly got it cause it was on sale for $80 almost everywhere right now.

porque

Boricua Guerrero
Daps
Reppin
Philly #ByrdGang #TPC
If you are messing with large video files you might as well go Intel.

Their per core performance crushes amd

so thats what makes them better? seriously thinking of going all out with a system after the holidays

are 6 & 8 core AMD not much better than the 4 core Intels? they seem to be priced equally

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
one of the fans is randomly getting loud for no reason. i already dusted out the box a couple months ago. how do i figure out whats happenin

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
one of the fans is randomly getting loud for no reason. i already dusted out the box a couple months ago. how do i figure out whats happenin
I had the same problem. I had to use my mobo software to see what speed the fan was blowing at. You should be able to turn it down from there.

Or your fan could be going out. Fans are cheap. Don't worry if you have to replace it.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
you need to figure out which fan it is, and what's controlling it (mobo, cpu, gpu, psu)?

you can use HWMonitor to see the speed of various fans

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor/versions-history.html

you might also want to look at your temps. high temps would be the most likely reason a fan would make a lot of noise. but it could be a bad fan, or something else

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
so thats what makes them better? seriously thinking of going all out with a system after the holidays

are 6 & 8 core AMD not much better than the 4 core Intels? they seem to be priced equally
the 4 cores of an intel processor is incredibly stronger per core than the 6 or 8 cores of an AMD processor.

think of it like coins

would you rather have 4 dimes or 8 pennies

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
AMD stepping it up.
2014-12-04_23-24-11.jpg

Aside from VSR, AMD has also improved frame pacing on both Dual Graphics and CrossFire systems, reducing stuttering and frame time variances.

As for video features, AMD has implemented several new ones into Catalyst Omega. Fluid Motion improves interpolation during video playback to remove judder, especially while panning, although for movie playback this isn't always a desired effect. However you might want to switch on Contour Removal, which does a great job of removing compression artifacts without reducing detail.
2014-12-04_23-25-07.jpg

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
AMD stepping it up.
2014-12-04_23-24-11.jpg

Aside from VSR, AMD has also improved frame pacing on both Dual Graphics and CrossFire systems, reducing stuttering and frame time variances.

As for video features, AMD has implemented several new ones into Catalyst Omega. Fluid Motion improves interpolation during video playback to remove judder, especially while panning, although for movie playback this isn't always a desired effect. However you might want to switch on Contour Removal, which does a great job of removing compression artifacts without reducing detail.
2014-12-04_23-25-07.jpg
they need to work on their Cpus...dem shts are so far behind intel :scust:

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you need to figure out which fan it is, and what's controlling it (mobo, cpu, gpu, psu)?

you can use HWMonitor to see the speed of various fans

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor/versions-history.html

you might also want to look at your temps. high temps would be the most likely reason a fan would make a lot of noise. but it could be a bad fan, or something else
http://i.imgur.com/sclkkyd.png

so i assume 100 is too high for the max on the cpu? do i need to buy a new cpu fan?