The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I just bought Penumbra off the strength of you two recommending it and it came through as a trojan when downloading :dead:

What's steam doing now, handing out trojans with each purchase? :dead:
it's just keeping with the horror theme by giving you a jump scare during the d/l :troll:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
it's just keeping with the horror theme by giving you a jump scare during the d/l :troll:
Looks like I'm never playing Penumbra : Black Plague ever. I can't tell if it's a legit threat or not.

but if we're being honest, I probably never woulda played it anyway. It was just an impulse buy :manny:

fukked up my steam library though. Everything else is installed, now I got this gray game in the list :mjcry:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Looks like I'm never playing Penumbra : Black Plague ever. I can't tell if it's a legit threat or not.

but if we're being honest, I probably never woulda played it anyway. It was just an impulse buy :manny:

fukked up my steam library though. Everything else is installed, now I got this gray game in the list :mjcry:
its probably nothing. I'll try to install it later tonight

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
installed Penumbra: Black Plague, and got no warning. then again I only use windows defender, and malwarebytes from time to time

probably a false positive. it could have to do with the fact the game was originally meant to only play with the CD in the drive (that old school DRM, aka what the consoles still do), and they basically had to make a "no cd" crack for their own game. the nature of such a crack is to 'fool' the system, and that could be flagged as trojan like behavior

who knows... but I'm pretty sure a Steam game isn't gonna come with a virus

:lupe:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
2 of the 3 games had the same trojan pop-up. I just uninstalled all 3 games and now I'm running a virus scan.

shyt's weird to be honest.
son I SERIOUSLY doubt Steam would be handing out trojans like a convenient store my nikka....more than likely a false alarm...u would see alotta people complaining about that shyt..also..The Evil Within doesn't support shyt above 1080p...

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
installed Penumbra: Black Plague, and got no warning. then again I only use windows defender, and malwarebytes from time to time

probably a false positive. it could have to do with the fact the game was originally meant to only play with the CD in the drive (that old school DRM, aka what the consoles still do), and they basically had to make a "no cd" crack for their own game. the nature of such a crack is to 'fool' the system, and that could be flagged as trojan like behavior

who knows... but I'm pretty sure a Steam game isn't gonna come with a virus

:lupe:

son I SERIOUSLY doubt Steam would be handing out trojans like a convenient store my nikka....more than likely a false alarm...u would see alotta people complaining about that shyt..also..The Evil Within doesn't support shyt above 1080p...

It probably is a false positive, but I never got this shyt before (except for on some arma mod). I'm gonna keep it safe and just call this a $2 loss :manny:

Mcafee hasn't done me wrong yet (except for being annoying as hell sometimes)

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
It probably is a false positive, but I never got this shyt before (except for on some arma mod). I'm gonna keep it safe and just call this a $2 loss :manny:
but those grey games in your library gonna fukk up your feng shui :lupe:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
this is a known issue with Mcafee...Steam reported it...
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4361-MVDP-3638
Sounds like a lot of effort for $2. I gotta disable real-time scanning until they fix that. I'm certainly not gonna do that. I go to some seedy parts of the internet for my downloading tv shows and movies needs :lupe:

Real-time scanning can be re-enabled once you are done playing, but unfortunately this will re-quarantine the game files, requiring this process to be repeated.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
well... it's a 99% chance the games are safe....u have nothing to worry about bro..lol..
No, that's not my point. The only way to play the game is to disable real-time scanning (permanently, or at least until it's fixed). I can't afford to do that.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
ohhh..ok..really good games too..damn..
It seems like something they shoulda fixed by now. I see people talking about it in the steam forums. shyt's kinda unacceptable, considering how popular McAfee is.

Kinda feel like they stole from me :mjcry: