The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
Where are yall buying these ASUS ROG monitors at ? :dahell: Cant even see that shyt for sale on the ASUS site :dahell:

r..

Just add it to your amazon basket and purchase it, even though Amazon say they dont have it in stock they constantly get supply but not enough to put up on the site.

So they may get 50 in but they need to have a min of 100 to put up on the site, from that 50 anyone who has purchased it will get one.

I done this and got mine a week after, even though they said it would be a 2 month wait.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I feel what hes saying in the performance section..but I dont think it truly relates to the issues we been complaining about..shyt like what The Evil Within was pulling is pure bullshyt and its just pure optimization issues...same with what Ubisoft has been doing lately...when a game is not even crazy graphically and it has issues like Watchdogs and even Black Flags STILL has and the devs are bs'ing for the platform yet still making money that sets a bad precedent...show some fukkin proof these games deserve all this raw power...especially when we've beem playing games that look arguably far better while using far less resources over the years on PC...
people here were complaining when it was announced that Shadow of Mordor's 'ultra' textures would require 6gb of vram. and it turned out to be true, as the game stutters trying to use ultra textures with a 3gb card (although the game was still 'playable' that way). no love lost though, cause the game still looks good with 'high' textures (and it's a good game)

that's actually very similar to Watch Dogs' issues. maybe they would have been better off if they would have stated higher vram requirements for their textures. they told people they could use their 'ultra' textures with 3gb, and it basically turned out to not be true. and aside from texture issues, the game actually runs pretty well

I'm not gonna mention names (*cough* winb *cough*), but some people constantly parrot this idea that a 'top of the line' gpu should be able to 'max out' every game. it's fallacious, and like Durante says, it discourages dev's from adding high-end features

I'm not saying there aren't bad PC ports. obviously there are, and that's why people like Durante have to step in and 'fix' them

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Anyone buy old desktops and refurbish them? I got 5 desktops for $50 on craigslist and will mix/match pieces. Install Windows 8 on them and dump them for $100 each easy

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
that's a good hustle.
I got an old HP Athlon for free and the thing is fully functioning. Just did not have the IDE hdd set to master.

Picked up 2GB of RAM, about to install windows 8 on it and get it out the door for $100. Came with keyboard and mouse as well.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
I got an old HP Athlon for free and the thing is fully functioning. Just did not have the IDE hdd set to master.

Picked up 2GB of RAM, about to install windows 8 on it and get it out the door for $100. Came with keyboard and mouse as well.

how do you go about getting old rigs?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

:flabbynsick: "does it come with MS Office?"

GreenGrass

All Star
Daps
Can someone pass me a link or recommend me a good pc for the latest games? my budget is 1,000.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Can someone pass me a link or recommend me a good pc for the latest games? my budget is 1,000.
What resolution are you going to be gaming at, 1080p or something else?

Are you gonna build it or do you want a prefab one?

Probably gonna want to get a nvidia 970 if you're at 1080p (about $350 or a third of your budget), to be more future proof. Right now you only need an i5, but that may change in the future, with new games recommending an i7 and directx 12 coming out, which will use more cores. It's up to you about how future proof you wanna be. I guess you really only need 8gb of ram (but I'd personally go for more, but that's just me). You can get a cheap case for $100 dollars or some shyt. You don't have to go all out on the motherboard unless you want to. Try to get a 250gb ssd, but it's not a necessity (highly recommended though). Probably can get a fairly good psu for under $100 if you look.

This seems like a good build, just change out the video card to the latest (the nvidia 970) (and add a bigger ssd or change the case for whatever you want).

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1971551/1000-gaming-build-2014.html

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($349.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($82.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Gaming 700W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus DVD-E818AAT/BLK/B/GEN DVD/CD Drive ($18.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1121.87

If you don't wanna build it yourself, you can pick all your parts and have these people build it for you

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

They have a ton of builds too

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
anyone that doubts downsampling can always check out neogaf's "High-Res PC Screenshot Thread". beware of the bandwidth though

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=743719&page=222
Speaking of downsampling, I was toying around with Tomb Raider to see what it would play like on my new 3GB Radeon 280 and it was great as expected though the fukking shanty town area is just a CPU hog I assume.

Anyway I put the game at 4X SSAA and at first I was hard pressed to see the difference but after a little while I noticed it completely eliminated jaggies from everything. It was even playable at 30fps with the same settings at high/ultra.

Regular FXAA
i1vyZLUqxJ21D.png

With 4XSSAA
ibcMHGpOFwxUBA.png

I should tone down sweetfx's lumasharpen values. It makes the game look almost cel shaded at times.

DF is BUSY

ididknotnothat.
Daps
Reppin
NYC
just picked up FF13 over at GMG (cheaper than steam with GMG coupon)

download size is like 49GB, overall size is like 60GB.... jesus.

be back way later.