The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
there is no difference since the screenshot is captured before the scaling occurs. that's why the screenshot is 1440p, and not 1080p

after you set-up your custom resolutions in the nvidia control panel, you just select that resolution in game. at that point, the game is being rendered at that resolution, regardless of my display's resolution. and that means I'm also gonna see the same performance I would see if I owned a 1440p monitor

this is pretty much the same thing as the 'new' "Dynamic Super Resolution" feature Nvidia is offering. the only difference is they're using a different (better?) filter for the scaling

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...-improves-your-games-with-4k-quality-graphics

do you doubt all this is real? if you have an nvidia card, you can try it yourself. if you download GeDoSaTo you can experiment with even higher resolutions

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?page_id=582

Ok man that is fine you want to believe the same thing and that the card is working the same way then don't let me stop you...have fun

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
What I'm correcting is your assumption that it's easier to downscale 1440P than to actually game on a 1440p panel. Unless I'm wrong that's what I'm getting from your posts. You and your boyfriend should take reading comprehension courses. :umad:

Nevermind breh you just pretty much told me that the physical act of generating a pixel on an output device is something that the gpu is not responsible for...no need for us to continue any further

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
But there is a difference in performance, because your gpu has to work to display the pixels on the screen. Are we acting like gpu's don't come with resolution specs attached to them? Are we going to act like you could actually game at say 4k...with a 500 or 400 series gtx card? I am pretty positive you cannot because the card is not powerful enough to push the number of pixels required for a 4k monitor...

You and this other dude are acting like the physical act of filling pixels on a screen is something that the gpu plays absolutely no part in...you are acting like after the gpu generates an image then it's job is done and there is something else that is actually displaying those pixels on the screen...
what are you getting at? gpu's don't have fixed resolutions

with that GeDoSaTo tool you can hit some pretty silly resolutions, although it might be rendering at 3fps

2gunsup

Satsui No Hado
Daps
Reppin
Popozudas
Nevermind breh you just pretty much told me that the physical act of generating a pixel on an output device is something that the gpu is not responsible for...no need for us to continue any further

The physical act of downscaling from 1440P or any other resolution is actually rendering said resolution. Your GPU just takes the additional step to place the rendered image to your display. These Texas nikkas is the worst, :heh:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
But there is a difference in performance, because your gpu has to work to display the pixels on the screen. Are we acting like gpu's don't come with resolution specs attached to them? Are we going to act like you could actually game at say 4k...with a 500 or 400 series gtx card? I am pretty positive you cannot because the card is not powerful enough to push the number of pixels required for a 4k monitor...

You and this other dude are acting like the physical act of filling pixels on a screen is something that the gpu plays absolutely no part in...you are acting like after the gpu generates an image then it's job is done and there is something else that is actually displaying those pixels on the screen...

:dahell:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
the gpu handles the scaling. that does require the gpu to work more, but it's probably rather insignificant. and if anything that would lead to downsampling from 1440p needing more power than rendering 1440p natively, and that seems to be the opposite of what you're trying to say

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
These Texas nikkas is the worst, :heh:
:heh:

Let's all game on 670s at 1440p. :blessed:

Let's pretend like we don't care about graphics when in EVERY pc vs console thread all everybody always talks about is how pcs have better graphics. :blessed:

Let's somehow see 80fps on a 60hz monitor :blessed:

Let's pretend that everybody here that has a 1440p monitor or games at higher resolutions has a single GPU :blessed:

Let's pretend that benchmarks don't matter :blessed:

Y'all are no better than the console Stans.

The second anybody questions pc performance, it's :cape:

Pathetic :smh:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
that's a strawman since this started as a discussion started with the question of if a single 970/980 would be enough for 1440p

True, I was being a troll there

But,

Let's pretend we can game at 120 fps on a single 980 at 1440p without turning everything down :blessed:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
True, I was being a troll there

But,
Let's pretend we can game at 120 fps on a single 980 at 1440p without turning everything down :blessed:
again, the 120+ fps thing doesn't need to be across the board. sure you might want that if you're playing Counter Strike or some shyt (and it's not hard to get framerates like that in that game). but you're also gonna benefit from a gsync monitor if you're pushing out 80fps. for that matter, you should see a benefit with all framerates between 30 and 60 too (I'd really like to see it myself in person)

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
again, the 120+ fps thing doesn't need to be across the board. sure you might want that if you're playing Counter Strike or some shyt (and it's not hard to get framerates like that in that game). but you're also gonna benefit from a gsync monitor if you're pushing out 80fps. for that matter, you should see a benefit with all framerates between 30 and 60 too (I'd really like to see it myself in person)
I agree, I'm completely fine with 60fps.

But @itsyoung!! seems to think he can get Crysis 3 on ultra at 80 fps in 1440p on a single 980, when there is absolutely no evidence of that.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I agree, I'm completely fine with 60fps.

But @itsyoung!! seems to think he can get Crysis 3 on ultra at 80 fps in 1440p on a single 980, when there is absolutely no evidence of that.
I think he's remembering the multiplayer performance. they disabled tessellation and some other effects in Crysis 3 mutli

I had to drop shadows down to maintain 60fps at 1080p in the single player (with my 780). but that games also scales well. when it first came out I played it fine on my 660 with mostly high settings