The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
is the jump from 1080 to 1440 worth it?
I think the trend is moving toward 4K. You can get a gsync 4K for the same price as a 1440p. Your graphics card won't be able to handle it (you'll definitely need 2 or 3), but you'll be future proof. 1440p is kinda going away right now. But it is at least viable with current gpus. :manny:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I actually have a 1440p monitor and game at higher resolutions than anybody here other than @duckbutta.

Believe me, I am not underestimating video cards. I know my video cards and what they can do. When you game at super high resolutions you know what's up.

1080p is nothing like 1440p or 5760 x 1080. It's a whole other ballgame. Look at the posters who have 1440p or above. If I'm not mistaken all of them have 2 (or is some cases) 3 high end cards

ima be honest I hardly pay attention to what people got here :yeshrug: I know @2gunsup was the man round here for years tho (still is) :wow:

I get my info off observing professional players / playing against them / emulating their builds :yeshrug:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
ima be honest I hardly pay attention to what people got here :yeshrug: I know @2gunsup was the man round here for years tho (still is) :wow:

I get my info off observing professional players / playing against them / emulating their builds :yeshrug:
If you get that 1440p monitor you can't think in 1080p terms anymore. 1080p is nothing with these cards. It's complete overkill. That's why you're getting 80fps with a fukking 670. I'm telling you, it is completely different with higher resolutions. Do not expect to get 80fps so easily at ultra on one card.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Yeah because one game represents everything.

You're my breh, but come on. You're getting 120+ fps at 1440p on every game you try? You somehow overclocked your shyt so high that you get higher benchmarks than benchmarkers?
the point is it's not some unattainable goal with a single gpu. especially a 970/980

and again, it's not like you're selling yourself short if you can't maintain 144fps. that's the whole point of gsync

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
If you get that 1440p monitor you can't think in 1080p terms anymore. 1080p is nothing with these cards. It's complete overkill. That's why you're getting 80fps with a fukking 670. I'm telling you, it is completely different with higher resolutions. Do not expect to get 80fps so easily at ultra on one card.

your mistake is thinking I give a fukk about Ultra in the first place.

Look at my post history, do you see me post about ultra a lot ? im perfectly happy with High settings and AA turned down or off completely. I care about performance, because I care about my score (im old school im not one of these new age "who cares about your kill/death ratio" fakkits) I DO care bout that shyt. My head set cost bout the same as a 970GTX, you know why ? Cause im the type thatll turn off the bull shyt ambient music and turn up any settings thatll help me hear footsteps from across the map. Thats the kind of player I am.

Granted im horrible now compared to when I was younger but still.. Ultra settings hardly fits into what I do with gaming and even then a lot of games I play I could care less about single player and only focus on multiplayer where settings actually INCREASE in some cases.

I dont give a single fukk bout assassins creed, watch dogs or any of these other solo player type games. I care about Diablo, Battlefield, DOTA type shyt

edit: when I used to play PUGS in Call of Duty 2 I used to have settings that'd turn the graphics down worse than low settings just so itd be easier to separate a player from a wall...

when I played UT2k* I made sure to have the mods and play on servers that had all community made upgraded hit scans/indicators and shyt.. You were either bright ass red or bright ass blue too as far as your skin went.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Look at these benchmarks

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review

benchmarks.jpg

Only bioshock is getting over 60 on a stock 980. And look at metro ll and crysis 3

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
your mistake is thinking I give a fukk about Ultra in the first place.

Look at my post history, do you see me post about ultra a lot ? im perfectly happy with High settings and AA turned down or off completely. I care about performance, because I care about my score (im old school im not one of these new age "who cares about your kill/death ratio" fakkits) I DO care bout that shyt. My head set cost bout the same as a 970GTX, you know why ? Cause im the type thatll turn off the bull shyt ambient music and turn up any settings thatll help me hear footsteps from across the map. Thats the kind of player I am.

Granted im horrible now compared to when I was younger but still.. Ultra settings hardly fits into what I do with gaming and even then a lot of games I play I could care less about single player and only focus on multiplayer where settings actually INCREASE in some cases.

I dont give a single fukk bout assassins creed, watch dogs or any of these other solo player type games. I care about Diablo, Battlefield, DOTA type shyt

edit: when I used to play PUGS in Call of Duty 2 I used to have settings that'd turn the graphics down worse than low settings just so itd be easier to separate a player from a wall...

when I played UT2k* I made sure to have the mods and play on servers that had all community made upgraded hit scans/indicators and shyt.. You were either bright ass red or bright ass blue too as far as your skin went.
All I've heard you talk about it how you can game on BF4 on ultra for $600 on those console versus pc threads. Then you were talking a few days ago about crysis on ultra. I was just going by what you were saying. :yeshrug:. You go pretty hard about graphics in those console threads. :yeshrug:

Given the games you play, why even upgrade your card? You don't need shyt to run those games. Stick with a 970 then, it'll probably suit you well :yeshrug:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
All I've heard you talk about it how you can game on BF4 on ultra for $600 on those console versus pc threads. Then you were talking a few days ago about crysis on ultra. I was just going by what you were saying. :yeshrug:. You go pretty hard about graphics in those console threads. :yeshrug:

Given the games you play, why even upgrade your card? You don't need shyt to run those games. Stick with a 970 then, it'll probably suit you well :yeshrug:

im not lying about anything tho :yeshrug:

I can play crysis 3 on ultra no problem..

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
im not lying about anything tho :yeshrug:

I can play crysis 3 on ultra no problem..
As you can see in my benchmark posted above, you're not doing that at over 60fps on a single 980 in 1440p (even when overclocked).

I'm not just making this shyt up :yeshrug:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Can't take those benchmarks serious. Dude's had SSAA enabled @ 1440p :heh: At 4x SSAA@1440p the game is being rendered at 5120x2880, aka 5K.
I doubt he has 4x ssaa on. He wouldn't get that high. But fine, take away Metro LL

Nothing wrong with the crysis benchmarks though :sas2: