The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Uh Oh

Bake 'em away, toys
Daps
well it looks like they renamed the 800 series as the 900 series on the desktop...what is your budget?
I'm just asking in general. I plan on picking up a 970, but I'm in no rush. My 7970 is serving me well.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Yes when did trend start, PC games were always cheaper.

Unless I really want the game I wait, Steam does me well
It started in the last 2 years I've noticed. Far cry 4, borderlands, assassin's creed, and dragon age are all $59.99 on steam/origin. The used to always be $49.99 new. I don't know what changed.

You can go to those cheap Russian keysharing sites for cheaper games, but I don't trust em

Last edited:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
It started in the last 2 years I've noticed. Far cry 4, borderlands, assassin's creed, and dragon age are all $59.99 on steam/origin. The used to always be $49.99 new. I don't know what changed.

You can go to those cheap Russian keysharing sites for cheaper games, but I don't trust em
The prices will drop so quickly that it doesn't really matter the starting point.

That's just publishing companies getting greedy

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
early next year. Regular hard drives will slowly start being phased out in 2-3 years after that I believe.
ehhh, can't see regular platter HDD's getting phased out anytime soon, they serve their cheap archival purposes.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
ehhh, can't see regular platter HDD's getting phased out anytime soon, they serve their cheap archival purposes.
Not if SSD's keep dropping the way they do. Once ssd gets to only be a small premium in price its a wrap. What we need is a push for budget laptops to ship with ssd instead of hdd

Those massive 4TB+ hard drives will only be meant for businesses. Only someone like @Ciggavelli who wants everything at 4K resolution right now will care about space past 2TB

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
Not if SSD's keep dropping the way they do. Once ssd gets to only be a small premium in price its a wrap. What we need is a push for budget laptops to ship with ssd instead of hdd

Those massive 4TB+ hard drives will only be meant for businesses. Only someone like @Ciggavelli who wants everything at 4K resolution right now will care about space past 2TB
SDD's kind of hit a peak, you can only stack so many NAND' flash chips on top of each other.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
It's Crucial which has great RMA service and comes with a 1 year warranty. At these prices I'd take the risk breh.
Yeah I am about to pull the trigger on a 128GB. I am putting it in an old iMac

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston

:heh: hdd aren't going anywhere. With everything going digital at high quality, you're gonna need a lot of space. 4k will be the standard in a few years. What I look like downloading 4k videos with a 1tb ssd?

SSDs are too small right now for everything. We need that space.

The way games are going you'll need 50gb per game soon. That fills up 1 tb fast.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
:heh: hdd aren't going anywhere. With everything going digital at high quality, you're gonna need a lot of space. 4k will be the standard in a few years. What I look like downloading 4k videos with a 1tb ssd?

SSDs are too small right now for everything. We need that space.

The way games are going you'll need 50gb per game soon. That fills up 1 tb fast.
2-3 years breh. 2-3 years is such a long time. there will be affordable 3tb ssd's around by 2017 for sure

affordable 1tb ssd by next year.