The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I've got my new build up and running. Windows 8 won't activate because it's the upgrade version and I did a clean install. I wonder if it'll work if I activate by phone.

I'm running on board video while I contemplate my graphics card options. I'm trying to hold out for the 800 series, but waiting kinda sucks. From what I've heard at some other sites, in mid\late September the 870 and 880 are coming out. The 880 is the replacement for the 770. Next year is when we'll see the insane jumps in performance (TI versions?).

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
@Liquid or anybody that ships computers, how do you safely ship a computer? I don't wanna put it face down in my car or in the back of a UHAUL I don't think, so I'm thinking shipping may be the best route to go.

What do you use? A crate? How do you secure it to make sure shyt doesn't get fukked up during shipping? Obviously I'm gonna insure it.

I got an obsidian 900D case so shyt is big, but I gotta move it some how.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

put it in the passenger seat up front and look at your girl like :birdman:

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
So im gonna cop a 256GB SSD today but was wondering if anyone can link me to a tutorial on how to transfer my Windows 7 onto the SSD without doing a fresh install.

Ruck

Where the hell is Diamond?!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier
I've got my new build up and running. Windows 8 won't activate because it's the upgrade version and I did a clean install. I wonder if it'll work if I activate by phone.

I'm running on board video while I contemplate my graphics card options. I'm trying to hold out for the 800 series, but waiting kinda sucks. From what I've heard at some other sites, in mid\late September the 870 and 880 are coming out. The 880 is the replacement for the 770. Next year is when we'll see the insane jumps in performance (TI versions?).
yeah, ill be holding on to my 780s until big die maxwell. maybe than ill jump to 4k too. right now, i got my eyes on dat 8 core 5960x :demonic:... fukking ddr4 :sadcam:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
i would do a fresh install no question, its not even that painful

its like one of those few times in your life where you get a fresh start :ahh:
well a fresh install can be kinda painful if you don't have/know your windows licence. and/or have a lot of programs that uh... need to be re-acquired

but I agree that fresh install is best. if you transfer shyt, you're also transferring any crap that might be slowing you down, causing conflicts, etc. with a fresh install, you can truly see how fast your SSD is. plus it's an opportunity to weed out any programs you don't really need/use

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Man I'm sitting here trying to imagine how 120HZ monitors look like. I really want to see that shyt. If I were to get one of those monitors, It'd be hard to go back to 30fps games because I'd be on a whole 'nother' level.

Takerstani

Extraterrestrial
Supporter
Daps
I was bidding on an i7 but the auction went higher than I wanted to spend. They had some i5s but ultimately I ended up with an i3 (dual core, 3.2ghz), 8gb (will be 16 once I order more ram), and 2.5 tb once I add the external harddrive. Is all lost, or is i3 passable? There are 3 pci-e slots and 1 regular, graphics card recommendations?

Last edited:

Uh Oh

Bake 'em away, toys
Daps
Humble Jumbo Bundle 2

https://www.humblebundle.com

$1 Tier:
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Complete Pack,
Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition,
Deadlight

"Beat The Average" Tier:
Terraria,