The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Liquid or anybody that ships computers, how do you safely ship a computer? I don't wanna put it face down in my car or in the back of a UHAUL I don't think, so I'm thinking shipping may be the best route to go.

What do you use? A crate? How do you secure it to make sure shyt doesn't get fukked up during shipping? Obviously I'm gonna insure it.

I got an obsidian 900D case so shyt is big, but I gotta move it some how.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Why would you put a case face down? Do you still have the box and styrofoam that came with the case?

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Why would you put a case face down? Do you still have the box and styrofoam that came with the case?
The case is humongous. I can put it in the box with the styrofoam, but have to lay it down in the trunk because it is too big to fit in the back seat of my Mazda 3. I'm afraid leaving it in the trunk for a 2 day move across the country is a bad idea. I don't know if putting it in a UHAUL is a good idea either, but I could at least keep it upright I guess.

It all seems unsafe though.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
When are we going to find out more about Nvidia's 800 series? I've heard it's coming in late September, but I need details.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
shyt threw me for a loop this morning...i let it update...came back to play skyrim...i keep my everyday apps pinned to the taskbar...shyt had me like...where the fukk is steam at :dahellwhat:

Had to go the old school road of just typing steam in the search bar...the new icon popped up...I was like :dahellwhat:...the fukk is this :dahellwhat:

I got a bachelors in Information Systems...
Got a ton of IT certifications
Built probably no less than a dozen PC's from the ground up...
Worked as an R&D Engineer for Hewlett Packard
Have an official title of "Cloud Solutions Manager" at my job...
And I legit got done in and confused...straight up lost my shyt over an icon change... spent a good 5 minutes staring at my desktop this morning like "where the fukk is my steam shortcut :dahellwhat:...what the fukk is going on:dahellwhat:...right after I purposely updated the steam app:dahellwhat:

degrees and certificates don't guarantee everything :yeshrug:

The case is humongous. I can put it in the box with the styrofoam, but have to lay it down in the trunk because it is too big to fit in the back seat of my Mazda 3. I'm afraid leaving it in the trunk for a 2 day move across the country is a bad idea. I don't know if putting it in a UHAUL is a good idea either, but I could at least keep it upright I guess.

It all seems unsafe though.

what would be the difference between having it in your trunk and in a UHAUL? The times when I have ordered PC's online they come double boxed and with a lot of styrofoam. The boxes usually are beat up as well. I think it would be safer if you just take it yourself.

how is that mazda 3 though? :ohhh:

Last edited:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
@Liquid or anybody that ships computers, how do you safely ship a computer? I don't wanna put it face down in my car or in the back of a UHAUL I don't think, so I'm thinking shipping may be the best route to go.

What do you use? A crate? How do you secure it to make sure shyt doesn't get fukked up during shipping? Obviously I'm gonna insure it.

I got an obsidian 900D case so shyt is big, but I gotta move it some how.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Do you still have the original box?

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I usually just ship it out in its original box and add more padding on the sides if needed. Basically creating a casket inside the original box so that it wont move.

Get brown paper and shield every square inch inside that damn thing. Make sure there are no loose cables inside your build either.

I would assume that the original box for the 900D is not some cheap flimsy POS, so it should work very well in your case.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I usually just ship it out in its original box and add more padding on the sides if needed. Basically creating a casket inside the original box so that it wont move.

Get brown paper and shield every square inch inside that damn thing. Make sure there are no loose cables inside your build either.

I would assume that the original box for the 900D is not some cheap flimsy POS, so it should work very well in your case.
Thanks. There is only styrofoam at the top and bottom, so I guess I'm gonna have to pad that shyt like crazy. I'm still worried about the hardware moving inside the case, but I guess I could just be being paranoid.

shyt is gonna cost a ton to ship and I dunno if I can trust them to handle my box with care.

Maybe putting it in the UHAUL is the way to go. Just pad that shyt and throw it in the UHAUL. At least then I'll know it's secure in the truck and what not.

I got some thinking to do though. I love my case, but it's just so fukking big. I wish it was easier to move.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
When are we going to find out more about Nvidia's 800 series? I've heard it's coming in late September, but I need details.
yeah, rumor is september, but it will probably just be the high-end card first (880, 890?), with the 'lesser' cards following in the months to come. we mighty not see the 860 until next year. as far as performance, I think I heard the 880 will be ~20% faster that the 780, and I imagine more efficient. but I'll wait for real benchmarks before really trying to say anything about all that

to be clear, this is just my own speculation based on how nvidia has done things in the past. they could flip the script and do things different this time

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Thanks. There is only styrofoam at the top and bottom, so I guess I'm gonna have to pad that shyt like crazy. I'm still worried about the hardware moving inside the case, but I guess I could just be being paranoid.

shyt is gonna cost a ton to ship and I dunno if I can trust them to handle my box with care.

Maybe putting it in the UHAUL is the way to go. Just pad that shyt and throw it in the UHAUL. At least then I'll know it's secure in the truck and what not.

I got some thinking to do though. I love my case, but it's just so fukking big. I wish it was easier to move.
shyt should be straight in the padded box, as long as nothing too crazy happens

last time I moved, I just wedged my case between some boxes in the uhaul :manny:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Just to be safe......
1305550891453.jpg

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
what would be the difference between having it in your trunk and in a UHAUL? The times when I have ordered PC's online they come double boxed and with a lot of styrofoam. The boxes usually are beat up as well. I think it would be safer if you just take it yourself.

how is that mazda 3 though? :ohhh:

Yeah, I think putting it in the UHAUL is the way to go. I'll just pad it up and hope for the best

I'm a big fan of my Mazda 3. I highly recommend it. It's been doing me well for a few years now.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
yeah, rumor is september, but it will probably just be the high-end card first (880, 890?), with the 'lesser' cards following in the months to come. we mighty not see the 860 until next year. as far as performance, I think I heard the 880 will be ~20% faster that the 780, and I imagine more efficient. but I'll wait for real benchmarks before really trying to say anything about all that

to be clear, this is just my own speculation based on how nvidia has done things in the past. they could flip the script and do things different this time
Maybe the prices on some of the lesser cards will fall. Might be a good time to grab a 780 which should be able to handle most games for the immediate future. When the 780 ti came out I got this 780 windforce oc for like under $400 slightly.