The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

lurkandmurk

The Bull
Daps
Reppin
The Bull
Brehs I just got a great deal, 2 weeks ago on no-tax weekend $370 for this laptop and here's the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i3-3277U @ 1.90ghz
GPU: Intel 4000 graphics
RAM: 6GB (I suspect it's DDR3) kinda overkill

Doesn't look like much but I can run any modern game on low/mid settings @ 50-60fps 1280x600 no problem :blessed:

Best part is the fan runs out the left side so no getting too hot on my lap and no having to space it between something

Came free with MS office for college :blessed:

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The case is a Bitfenix Prodigy
In my Bitfenix Prodigy I put a fan in the front sucking air in, the Hyper EVO 212 fan pulls that air through the heat sync and the rear fan pushes the air out. Honestly I don't think the front fan improved my temps much but I ordered the fan splitter from Newegg so I'm gonna use it. My MiniITX only has two fan headers. It's the ASRock Z87E-ITX.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Case
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=497818
$23 after rebate

Power Supply
http://www.microcenter.com/product/427099/430W_80_430_Watt_ATX_Power_Supply
$28 after rebate

Processor and Mobo
http://www.microcenter.com/product/433127/Z97_PC_Mate_Socket_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard
http://www.microcenter.com/product/435187/G3258_32_GHz_LGA1150_Boxed_Processor
$90 combined after rebate

Memory
http://www.microcenter.com/product/...R3-1600_(PC3-12800)_CL9_Desktop_Memory_Module
$78

That's a whole PC for $235 granted it's really being cheap but throw a few hard drives in there and you've got a really cheap home server for however long it last.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Kinda a steambox coming out soon

Alienware’s ‘Alpha’ Console Lets You Play PC Games on Your TV

gallery-cam@2x.png
Alienware

If you want a Steam Machine running Valve’s SteamOS that you can use with Valve’s Steam Controller, you’ll need to keep waiting until 2015. But thanks to some clever workarounds, Alienware’s first Steam box will be available by the end of this year.

The Alienware Alpha will use its own interface built on top of Windows 8.1 rather than Valve’s Linux-based SteamOS. But Steam is still the lifeblood of this system, as the small-footprint box will bring PC gaming to your HDTV using Steam’s “Big Picture” mode. The Alpha has an HDMI out port with 4K capabilities for compatible TVs and games, as well as an HDMI-in port with pass-through support.

While the Alpha UI runs on top of Windows, those Windows underpinnings will be invisible when the box is running in console mode. The Alpha UI looks and feels like a console, and it’s completely navigable with a game controller. As soon as you plug in a mouse, you can select a “Desktop Mode” that makes it act like a computer.

Size-wise, the Alienware Alpha splits the difference between a Roku box and a current-gen game console. But unlike the consoles it’s built to compete with, it has user-replaceable components—you can swap out and upgrade everything except the integrated GPU, a custom Nvidia “Maxwell” chip.

It’s also more like a PC in terms of its configuration options. The base version of the Alpha has an Intel Core i3 CPU, 4GB RAM, and a 500GB hard drive, with a custom integrated Nvidia GPU. There will be configurations available with Core i5 and i7 CPUs, up to 2TB of storage, and up to 8 gigs of RAM (with two slots that support up to 16GB total). You’ll be able to upgrade all those components yourself if you want.

For playing the actual games, you can use the included wireless Xbox 360 controller for Steam’s controller-supported titles or a mouse and keyboard. There are two USB 2.0 ports on the front of the Alpha box, as well as a couple of USB 3.0 ports around the back. According to Alienware, the box is compatible with any Windows-compatible peripherals, including Bluetooth headsets and keyboards. It’ll also work with Xbox One gamepads, although only a single Xbox 360 controller is included with the Alpha.

The Alpha’s base configuration (Core i3/4GB RAM/500GB with a wireless Xbox 360 controller) is priced at a console-like $550. They’re available for preorder now, and Alienware says it expects to start shipping the units in November.

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/alienware-alpha/

----------------------

Too pricey for the "good" versions though.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-alpha-steam-machine/pd?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&fl=m

I don't know how steamboxes are gonna compete with consoles at these prices.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Kinda a steambox coming out soon

Alienware’s ‘Alpha’ Console Lets You Play PC Games on Your TV

gallery-cam@2x.png
Alienware

If you want a Steam Machine running Valve’s SteamOS that you can use with Valve’s Steam Controller, you’ll need to keep waiting until 2015. But thanks to some clever workarounds, Alienware’s first Steam box will be available by the end of this year.

The Alienware Alpha will use its own interface built on top of Windows 8.1 rather than Valve’s Linux-based SteamOS. But Steam is still the lifeblood of this system, as the small-footprint box will bring PC gaming to your HDTV using Steam’s “Big Picture” mode. The Alpha has an HDMI out port with 4K capabilities for compatible TVs and games, as well as an HDMI-in port with pass-through support.

While the Alpha UI runs on top of Windows, those Windows underpinnings will be invisible when the box is running in console mode. The Alpha UI looks and feels like a console, and it’s completely navigable with a game controller. As soon as you plug in a mouse, you can select a “Desktop Mode” that makes it act like a computer.

Size-wise, the Alienware Alpha splits the difference between a Roku box and a current-gen game console. But unlike the consoles it’s built to compete with, it has user-replaceable components—you can swap out and upgrade everything except the integrated GPU, a custom Nvidia “Maxwell” chip.

It’s also more like a PC in terms of its configuration options. The base version of the Alpha has an Intel Core i3 CPU, 4GB RAM, and a 500GB hard drive, with a custom integrated Nvidia GPU. There will be configurations available with Core i5 and i7 CPUs, up to 2TB of storage, and up to 8 gigs of RAM (with two slots that support up to 16GB total). You’ll be able to upgrade all those components yourself if you want.

For playing the actual games, you can use the included wireless Xbox 360 controller for Steam’s controller-supported titles or a mouse and keyboard. There are two USB 2.0 ports on the front of the Alpha box, as well as a couple of USB 3.0 ports around the back. According to Alienware, the box is compatible with any Windows-compatible peripherals, including Bluetooth headsets and keyboards. It’ll also work with Xbox One gamepads, although only a single Xbox 360 controller is included with the Alpha.

The Alpha’s base configuration (Core i3/4GB RAM/500GB with a wireless Xbox 360 controller) is priced at a console-like $550. They’re available for preorder now, and Alienware says it expects to start shipping the units in November.

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/alienware-alpha/

----------------------

Too pricey for the "good" versions though.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-alpha-steam-machine/pd?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&fl=m

I don't know how steamboxes are gonna compete with consoles at these prices.
They aren't going to compete with consoles.

In fact I think the whole initiative is kind of backwards. Consoles are going to die off (for a good reason)

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
They aren't going to compete with consoles.

In fact I think the whole initiative is kind of backwards. Consoles are going to die off (for a good reason)
It's being marketed as a "true next gen" system that is just like a console. With those specs and who knows what kinda 2gb GPU they're using, I dunno what they're thinking. i3, 4gb ram, 2gb gpu for $549. shyt is gonna perform worse than an xbox 1 most likely, given the outrageous specs of these new "next gen" games and shytty optimization.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
i agree..

can you even change broken or outdated parts with ease in that thing?..

or is it simply a micro atx case with basic hardware and a custom ui?..
apparently you can update everything except the gpu (the thing you probably want to update the most).

But yeah, it's just a micro atx case with basic hardware and a custom ui. I don't see the appeal in it.

These steamboxes are just gonna be too expensive to really compete with anything. I guess it's for the "lazy" or "scared of PCs" crowd, but I still dunno. You gotta keep this under $500 with at least comparable performance to the ps4 or xbox 1 for it to be viable. I just don't know how they are gonna do that.