The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
Jump in on the new AM5 wave brehs thinking its gon be sweet :francis:,
just spent 2 days troubleshooting this build :martin:.

First it was the motherboard refusing to pick up the 32GB ddr5 ram and thus not booting at all. Eventually realized that I gotta put the sticks in slots 2 and 4 for it to work, This info was buried deep in the mobo manual :stopitslime:
Then I had issues with the bios update where I had to take out the battery from the mobo to reset it and eventually was able to flash an update.
Then I had issues with the linux boot usb I was gonna use to install the OS with. It just wouldnt boot into it until I had to do some terminal magic and edit kernel parameters before I could even begin the installation :beli:
Then the GPU turned out to be a lemon that isn't recognised by the motherboard no matter what. Now I gotta wait for a brand new one I just bought so I can return this junk of a card :francis:
Then I realized onty 2 USB ports actually work (the USB3.2 ones), the other 9 ports wont pick up a plugged in device no matter what :what:

I'm finally able to now use the PC (barely since the USB ports dont want to work yet), luckily the CPU has integrated graphics so I didn't have to wait until the new card comes to use it. :mjcry:

This build has been bittersweet, I really can't say this amount of wasted hours was worth it :hhh:

Ruck

Where the hell is Diamond?!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier

First it was the motherboard refusing to pick up the 32GB ddr5 ram and thus not booting at all. Eventually realized that I gotta put the sticks in slots 2 and 4 for it to work, This info was buried deep in the mobo manual :stopitslime:
Then I had issues with the bios update where I had to take out the battery from the mobo to reset it and eventually was able to flash an update.
Then I had issues with the linux boot usb I was gonna use to install the OS with. It just wouldnt boot into it until I had to do some terminal magic and edit kernel parameters before I could even begin the installation :beli:
Then the GPU turned out to be a lemon that isn't recognised by the motherboard no matter what. Now I gotta wait for a brand new one I just bought so I can return this junk of a card :francis:
Then I realized onty 2 USB ports actually work (the USB3.2 ones), the other 9 ports wont pick up a plugged in device no matter what :what:

I'm finally able to now use the PC (barely since the USB ports dont want to work yet), luckily the CPU has integrated graphics so I didn't have to wait until the new card comes to use it. :mjcry:

This build has been bittersweet, I really can't say this amount of wasted hours was worth it :hhh:
youve officially been baptized :mjgrin:

now you're really a pc owner. :heh:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston

It'll be worth it, and you'll forget about these issues quickly once it's up and running. I know from experience. shyt does suck though, for real, but as @Ruck said, this is just part of being pc gang. Best of luck :salute:

krexzen

All Star
Daps

It'll be worth it, and you'll forget about these issues quickly once it's up and running. I know from experience. shyt does suck though, for real, but as @Ruck said, this is just part of being pc gang. Best of luck :salute:

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

Daps

We live now brehs :blessed:. The new GPU got here quick #PrimeGang and Lit up on the first try so we good now :myman:.Been spending a few minutes configuring the software to take advantage of the GPU. I still gotta figure out how to solve the USB issue but everything else is functional :whew:

Here is the full part list:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $224.41)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $34.73)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650M AORUS ELITE AX Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard (Purchased For $147.13)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (Purchased For $112.31)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $49.11)
Storage: Leven JS600 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $35.18)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K4000 4 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $38.37)
Video Card: PowerColor Hellhound Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For $277.21)
Case: Deepcool CH370 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $66.09)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G6 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $117.29)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P14 72.8 CFM 140 mm Fan (Purchased For $10.64)
Total: $1123.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-22 18:31 EDT-0400

Last edited:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
We live now brehs :blessed:. The new GPU got here quick #PrimeGang and Lit up on the first try so we good now :myman:.Been spending a few minutes configuring the software to take advantage of the GPU. I still gotta figure out how to solve the USB issue but everything else is functional :whew:

Here is the full part list:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $224.41)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $34.73)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650M AORUS ELITE AX Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard (Purchased For $147.13)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (Purchased For $112.31)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $49.11)
Storage: Leven JS600 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $35.18)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K4000 4 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $38.37)
Video Card: PowerColor Hellhound Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For $277.21)
Case: Deepcool CH370 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $66.09)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G6 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $117.29)
Total: $1123.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-22 18:31 EDT-0400
Nice! All AMD though :scusthov:

:troll: :russ:

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

Daps
Nice! All AMD though :scusthov:

:troll: :russ:
AMD held me down when it was still selling its GPU's under the ATI brand. I copped some cheap laptop with an Athlon processor when I couldn't afford the Intel processor laptops as a broke ass college student :mjcry:

I just had to be loyal and stick with the day one :wow:

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

Daps
Gonna cost an arm and a leg if true :francis:....but AMD gon find a way to compete, regardless :wow:

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

Daps

This any good brehs.. 4070 laptop
I've learnt that for gaming you are better off not using a laptop because the performance to value ratio is terrible. For $1200 you would for sure build a better PC and save about $600. If size is a concern for you, then you could opt for the ITX form factor type of build like this:
r5fomrpzxfdb1.png

Im not a gamer tho so maybe the brehs like @Ciggavelli and @Ruck can provide more useful info for your use case :hubie:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I've learnt that for gaming you are better off not using a laptop because the performance to value ratio is terrible. For $1200 you would for sure build a better PC and save about $600. If size is a concern for you, then you could opt for the ITX form factor type of build like this:
r5fomrpzxfdb1.png

Im not a gamer tho so maybe the brehs like @Ciggavelli and @Ruck can provide more useful info for your use case :hubie:
Gaming laptops are never a good idea. Yes, you can get a laptop with a mobile 4090 that is kinda equivalent to a 3080, but you're spending like $3k+. So, you're spending a lot for last generation performance. I've thought about getting a gaming laptop, just to have it for when I'm on the go, but I would never use one as my main rig.

Regarding cases, I'm not really into small ones because of heat issues. You have to be very intentional with your airflow or liquid cooling. I know some people have been able to put liquid cooling on a small sized case, but it looks like a nightmare. The size of small cases is appealing, but I know just how hot these new cpus and gpus get, and I would be very concerned about that. Even with my full sized liquid cooling rig, I worry about heat. The 13900 is fukking hot as hell. The 4090 at 100% usage is also pretty hot. I wish I put a third radiator in my rig.

Anti-Anime

fukk u weeaboo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Not Japan

:dead:Yeah am5 is still a mess. it’s a dice roll if my 7900x feels like it wants to boot. I don’t think I’ve turned the system off for weeks :mjlol:

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

Daps
:dead:Yeah am5 is still a mess. it’s a dice roll if my 7900x feels like it wants to boot. I don’t think I’ve turned the system off for weeks :mjlol:
Funny that you posted this. My system hasnt booted since Tuesday morning :mjcry:.

I made the mistake of doing a quick reboot since it had been up for a couple of days and that was he end of me :francis:. It refuses to pick up the monitor no matter what I try. I flashed so many bios versions via the back panel button, cleared CMOS. Disassembled the whole thing, tried one ram at a time, tried both gpu and cpu slots for monitor. Tried different cables, hdmi and DP.....Absolutely nothing works. There is no display. I feel played wasting so many hours on this. I eventually just said fukk it lemme return the motherboard and buy another brand instead and now im still waiting for the new one to arrive.

If this one works, im only rebooting the system on the last day of each month going forward.