The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
For the next 10? It’s possible, if you’re only looking for 4k 60 over that timeframe. 4k 120+ is a different ballgame.
No way 10 years. Games will only get harder and harder to run when more advanced graphical techniques come about. There has never been a card that can last 10 years with everything maxed. 4 years maybe.

Mister_DoItNice

Leading The Regime
Daps
Reppin
The Concrete Jungle
No way 10 years. Games will only get harder and harder to run when more advanced graphical techniques come about. There has never been a card that can last 10 years with everything maxed. 4 years maybe.
I didn’t intend for it to sound like he could run max settings for 10 years. I only meant that he could possibly get 4K 60 over that timeframe. He’d definitely have to slowly lower his settings from high to medium, etc. Ray tracing is absolutely out of the question.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I didn’t intend for it to sound like he could run max settings for 10 years. I only meant that he could possibly get 4K 60 over that timeframe. He’d definitely have to slowly lower his settings from high to medium, etc. Ray tracing is absolutely out of the question.
I just looked at what came out 10 years ago. Can you imagine gaming on a 680 in 2023? You wouldn't be able to play anything but indies :heh:

But if graphics are reaching a plateau, that would be different. I don't think we're there yet though. We didn't even know about ray-tracing in 2013. I wonder what they will come up with in the next decade :jbhmm:

Mister_DoItNice

Leading The Regime
Daps
Reppin
The Concrete Jungle
What do you guys think about the rumors that EVGA is about to go the way of the dodo bird? I know they’re claiming they aren’t true but what company would really admit they’re about to close up before they ABSOLUTELY had to? I don’t own any of their products but I think it’s interesting nonetheless.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
All parts for my build have been bought :blessed:, shout out to @Ruck for that initial assist at getting a breh started :obama:.

Cost me a total of $982 including taxes and shipping, even though on pcpartpicker it shows a cost of $1250. I aint spent that kinda money all at once in a long time, im feeling kinda sick :picard:

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
What do you guys think about the rumors that EVGA is about to go the way of the dodo bird? I know they’re claiming they aren’t true but what company would really admit they’re about to close up before they ABSOLUTELY had to? I don’t own any of their products but I think it’s interesting nonetheless.
Something is going on. They got themselves up out the GPU manufacturing paint, and as much as it must be a nightmare to be an NVIDIA partner right now... to willfully 86 your own revenue stream - not fall back for a generation quietly, but exit stage left publically? Something ain't right over at EVGA. No way there isn't.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
For the next 10? It’s possible, if you’re only looking for 4k 60 over that timeframe. 4k 120+ is a different ballgame.

I've never played on 120+. Honestly don't need it.

Ok I didn't think about games getting more advanced in graphics, which is true. 4 years is good enough for me, I can save and make major upgrades every 4 years.

Can y'all build me a PC? 4K, 60fps, & ray tracing for every big game. The reddit builds I posted were off according to this thread.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Something is going on. They got themselves up out the GPU manufacturing paint, and as much as it must be a nightmare to be an NVIDIA partner right now... to willfully 86 your own revenue stream - not fall back for a generation quietly, but exit stage left publically? Something ain't right over at EVGA. No way there isn't.
the only thing 'in stock' on their site is PSU cables. seems like they're already dead, unless they have some kind of major reboot planned

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I've never played on 120+. Honestly don't need it.

Ok I didn't think about games getting more advanced in graphics, which is true. 4 years is good enough for me, I can save and make major upgrades every 4 years.

Can y'all build me a PC? 4K, 60fps, & ray tracing for every big game. The reddit builds I posted were off according to this thread.
You'll be good if you upgrade every 2 generations, which is typically 4 years. How much are you willing to spend? I typically only pay attention to the top of the line shyt, but I'm thinking you can build a great rig for around $4K.

Veteran
Daps
You'll be good if you upgrade every 2 generations, which is typically 4 years. How much are you willing to spend? I typically only pay attention to the top of the line shyt, but I'm thinking you can build a great rig for around $4K.

$4000? I got some saving to do. :whew: But yeah I might as well go for a beast build.

How much would upgrading typically cost? I can't imagine you'd have to start from scratch.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
$4000? I got some saving to do. :whew: But yeah I might as well go for a beast build.

How much would upgrading typically cost? I can't imagine you'd have to start from scratch.
CPUs aren't as important as GPUs for gaming. If you just focus in on upgrading your GPU, and you get the top of the line shyt, you're looking at like $1500-$2000 every 4 years. Then when there is a major CPU upgrade, which might be every 5-6 years, you'll need to spend kinda a lot, because you'll need to get a new mobo because the socket always changes. Then you might need to get new ram as well. So maybe another $2k for all of that. You can keep the same case, ssds, psu (if it is good) and stuff if you want.

Real top of the line builds can cost up to $10K. My last build was $10K, but I had crazy custom water cooling and the like. My current build, which also uses all top of the line stuff (custom water cooling, custom cables, expensive water blocks, etc.) was around $8k.

Then, you should also get the best monitor you can afford. That could cost up to $2k, but realistically it'll probably only be around $1K (maybe even less).

Veteran
Daps
CPUs aren't as important as GPUs for gaming. If you just focus in on upgrading your GPU, and you get the top of the line shyt, you're looking at like $1500-$2000 every 4 years. Then when there is a major CPU upgrade, which might be every 5-6 years, you'll need to spend kinda a lot, because you'll need to get a new mobo because the socket always changes. Then you might need to get new ram as well. So maybe another $2k for all of that. You can keep the same case, ssds, psu (if it is good) and stuff if you want.

Real top of the line builds can cost up to $10K. My last build was $10K, but I had crazy custom water cooling and the like. My current build, which also uses all top of the line stuff (custom water cooling, custom cables, expensive water blocks, etc.) was around $8k.

Then, you should also get the best monitor you can afford. That could cost up to $2k, but realistically it'll probably only be around $1K (maybe even less).

So what are all the parts I'd need?