The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I just decide to build a new pc this week.

I thought I'd be good swiping a gpu since I got a Switch, PS5, and a Series X pretty easy.

I'm subscribed to everything notification wise too.

I'm settling for 1650s and striking out.

But nope, this is a different beast altogether. Someone should make a bigger deal of this :troll::troll::troll:
At this rate you'd be better off just waiting until next year to build.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
So I was playing RDR2 earlier this week on my 4k 120hz monitor and my fans started going WILD :gucci:

So I check GPU'Z and my core temp of my gpu is 61 degrees, probably cause the fans are running at 90% :gucci:

So I start doing some researching, found out I can view the vram memory temps of a 3080 and 3090 with hwinfo, I download it fire it up, fire up RDR2 again, and in about 20 minutes my vram temps go to 106 degrees...that is what is causing the fan's to spin...and the card will start to throttle if the vram temps hit 110.

So I just set it back to 60hz to see what happens...nothing...the gpu is not pushed hard enough and the vram temps only get up to about 98 so it doesn't trigger the fans...but I didn't buy a 120hz monitor to play in 60, so I got some thermalright 12,8w/mk thermal pads laying around, so I watch a 3090 teardown video and follow it and take the pcb off...

Man these stock thermal pads are TRASH:gucci:...and super thin:gucci:...and half have just straight up melted on the memory, and some of the memory, pretty much all the single and three slot memory modules, don't have thermal pads on them AT ALL:gucci: didn't seem like the thermal pads were touching anything, so the vram is just being passively cooled by whatever hot ass air that passed along the heatsink.

So I peel them off, clean it up, I end up just taking off ALL the thermal pads on both sides and replacing them, shyt took like two hours. Since I had pcb open I went ahead and re pasted the gpu to, it looked fine, whatever, just force of habit.

So between tear down, cleaning, replacing pads, reapplying thermal paste, putting it back together, shyt took around 3 hours :gucci:. This card got a bunch of stupid unnecessary shyt you got to take off and the way the LED cable is set up i would rather leave it unplugged than to have to try and plug it in again.

Plug it up, loaded up RDR2, it worked, now my vmram tops out around 86 where it was hitting 106, so that fixed it :myman:

But now because i am using quality thermal pads that actual absorb real heat and make contact with the backplate and push that heat to the heatsink, now my core cpu temps are about 8 degrees higher, sitting at 70 under full load now. Not a big deal that just means the fans spin at 50% instead of 45%, which means they only spin at 1300 rpm, which is still quieter than my cpu cooler. But it also makes the temp inside my case about 6 degrees warmer now when i game, still not a big deal. but:stopitslime:

So all this talk Nvidia did about this revolutionary cooler and all they were really doing was passively cooling the vram, which in turned meant that big ass heat sink and dual fans were only cooling the core gpu chip, so of course you can get that thing to run at 60 degrees under full load. But the second you have the card do what it is supposed to do, cool everything, well then it's more like a normal gpu. 70 degrees under load at 4k all utra everything 120 hz is still great, but i just feel like nvidia designed the card this way on purpose:stopitslime:. I shouldn't need to spend 3 hours reapplying thermal pads on a 1500 dollar card. And I am sure had I not redone the thermal paste them core temps would have been worse:stopitslime:

Still a great card but this definitely knocked some of the shine off of it...

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
So all this talk Nvidia did about this revolutionary cooler and all they were really doing was passively cooling the vram, which in turned meant that big ass heat sink and dual fans were only cooling the core gpu chip, so of course you can get that thing to run at 60 degrees under full load. But the second you have the card do what it is supposed to do, cool everything, well then it's more like a normal gpu. 70 degrees under load at 4k all utra everything 120 hz is still great, but i just feel like nvidia designed the card this way on purpose:stopitslime:. I shouldn't need to spend 3 hours reapplying thermal pads on a 1500 dollar card. And I am sure had I not redone the thermal paste them core temps would have been worse:stopitslime:

Still a great card but this definitely knocked some of the shine off of it...

Which card is this? FE or SI?

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Which card is this? FE or SI?

FE. But if you look around you will see it happening on plenty of SI cards to. Has to do with how hot GDDR6X memory is, how close it is to fit on the pcb (24GB worth), and the absolute trash thermal pads they use on the card. I wouldn't even call it a pad it's more like a putty. I saw a thread where some dude measured it at 1W/mk :huhldup:. I mean 3W/mk is considered "bad".

It's a pretty widespread issue for 3090 cards period. On reddit you can see post of people who when they opened up their cards thermal pad had straight up melted all over the memory :picard:. Mine were in the process of doing the same, it took me awhile to clean it all off.

I won't be fukking with a ZOTAC card AT ALL:picard:

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Might have gotten lucky on mine. Playing CP and my memory junction temps seems to max out at around 80-82

Yeah the only 3 instances I have seen when people run into it are...

1. Miners. They hit the 110c vram thermal throttling pretty quick

2. Video editors. You start running into large HD files that really will use that 24 GB of RAM they will eventually run into it.

3. High Refresh Rate 4k or 2k gaming. This is what got me. When I was gaming at 4k 60hz I did not have this problem but the card was not working all that hard to do that. Soon as I went to 4k 120hz though it started happening on ever other game I played. However if I just switched my monitor to 60hz then my memory junction temps would top out around 84 - 88. Soon as I went back to 120hz though they would sky rocket to around 104 - 106 within 5 minutes of playing some games, and the fans would just slowly ramp up to 100%. It was especially noticeable in RDR2 though cause soon as I hit the woods the vram would shoot all the way up to 106 and just stay there and the fans would go to 90 to 100% and stay there.

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
I'm buying a prebuilt, I have not built a computer since 2014 and decided I wanted to last week. I did not know how bad the market got :picard:.
This shyt is really crazy cause I can't even find older models for their retail prices. There is no way I'm paying these scalper prices at all, they bugging the hell out if they think I'm playing $300 or so extra for some older model.

On that note any one got links to good prebuilt companies:patrice:

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
I just looked at amazon and 3090's are going for between 3800 and 4400 dollars :gucci:

Cards 1400 if you get it from nvidia site :gucci:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I just looked at amazon and 3090's are going for between 3800 and 4400 dollars :gucci:

Cards 1400 if you get it from nvidia site :gucci:
Because the FOMO retards are willing to pay scalpers prices, they're fukking the market all the way up. If they know you'll by at 4 grand, what incentive is there to sell it for 2? People are their own worst enemy.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
I'm buying a prebuilt, I have not built a computer since 2014 and decided I wanted to last week. I did not know how bad the market got :picard:.
This shyt is really crazy cause I can't even find older models for their retail prices. There is no way I'm paying these scalper prices at all, they bugging the hell out if they think I'm playing $300 or so extra for some older model.

A lot of people came to the same conclusion in the last two weeks or so. Prebuilt companies (whoever they are, I've never used them) are getting a lot more spotlight out of necesssity.

Because the FOMO retards are willing to pay scalpers prices, they're fukking the market all the way up. If they know you'll by at 4 grand, what incentive is there to sell it for 2? People are their own worst enemy.

This is going to be the new normal for the foreseeable future. Production is at capacity, no gpu maker is going to cut off mining capabilities and forego profits, and supply will go to automotive first before mobile or anything else.

Perfect storm.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
A lot of people came to the same conclusion in the last two weeks or so. Prebuilt companies (whoever they are, I've never used them) are getting a lot more spotlight out of necesssity.

This is going to be the new normal for the foreseeable future. Production is at capacity, no gpu maker is going to cut off mining capabilities and forego profits, and supply will go to automotive first before mobile or anything else.

Perfect storm.

Mining is a waste of time right now for GPUs, you won't be able to mine ethereum in year or two anyway

real miners already use asic miners to mine specific crypto, especially for the scalp prices but asic miners are sold out to for the most part so people have no choice but to get the GPUs, but I don't see how it's profitable especially buying them at scalped prices, you might as well just use that money to buy actually crypto and hold it

NVIDIA's next batch of GPUs won't even be able to mine starting with the 3080ti

so you might as well wait for that one

Daps
Reppin
NULL
FE. But if you look around you will see it happening on plenty of SI cards to. Has to do with how hot GDDR6X memory is, how close it is to fit on the pcb (24GB worth), and the absolute trash thermal pads they use on the card. I wouldn't even call it a pad it's more like a putty. I saw a thread where some dude measured it at 1W/mk :huhldup:. I mean 3W/mk is considered "bad".

It's a pretty widespread issue for 3090 cards period. On reddit you can see post of people who when they opened up their cards thermal pad had straight up melted all over the memory :picard:. Mine were in the process of doing the same, it took me awhile to clean it all off.

I won't be fukking with a ZOTAC card AT ALL:picard:

It's a zotac what do you expect

I have the aorus master 3080 and that shyt has no problems what so ever, but its a 3 slot card stays at 50 degrees under heavy load without even turning the fans up

I assume the 3090 version of that card has no problem's either

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL

People should be buying pre-built. It's the only sane way to get a decent GPU on a new machine for the time being.