The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
:skip: did you actually read the article you posted

:skip: they were over estimating AMD performance and under estimating intel performance And apologized for it :skip:

I didn't mean to post the link but Userbenchmark is a shytty benchmark, that's why they've been getting lit up in the hardware hemisphere. :skip:

EVtxhI3WoAIQU60

Intel Core i5-10600 sample manages higher bench result on UserBenchmark than AMD Ryzen 5 3600 despite overall lower test scores :skip:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I didn't mean to post the link but Userbenchmark is a shytty benchmark, that's why they've been getting lit up in the hardware hemisphere. :skip:

EVtxhI3WoAIQU60

Intel Core i5-10600 sample manages higher bench result on UserBenchmark than AMD Ryzen 5 3600 despite overall lower test scores :skip:
You do understand that for awhile most games only utilized 1-2 cores, which is where intel would bench mark higher since they traditionally have stronger single cores. AMD has weaker cores but more cores and spreads the work load out over those cores. Which is why for a decade AMD sales fell off a cliff.

games are utilizing more cores now, which is why AMD is back heavy in the game but still high end gamers choose intel.

the real extreme can dedicate a video game to a specific core which can also effect bench marks but i would not recommend this for the average person.

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
You do understand that for awhile most games only utilized 1-2 cores, which is where intel would bench mark higher since they traditionally have stronger single cores. AMD has weaker cores but more cores and spreads the work load out over those cores. Which is why for a decade AMD sales fell off a cliff.

games are utilizing more cores now, which is why AMD is back heavy in the game but still high end gamers choose intel.

the real extreme can dedicate a video game to a specific core which can also effect bench marks but i would not recommend this for the average person.

AMD has caught Intel in IPC, has nothing to do with the IPC of the cores.

HJjtSej.png

Where it still struggles is memory latency.

U0M3r4yl.png

As for memory latency, not much has changed. If anything we’ve seen an increase in memory latency from 2nd-gen Ryzen and we see this when looking at DRAM and L3 cache latency. The DRAM latency is 50% higher than that of the Core i9-9900K and this will be partly responsible for the difference in gaming performance just seen.

Another reason for the slightly lower gaming performance is core latency. When compared to 2nd-gen Ryzen, the newer architecture is a massive improvement. For the best matched cores we’re seeing a 30% reduction in latency and at least a 26% reduction for the worst matched cores. This means best case the core to core latency is actually reduced by 35% for the 3rd-gen Ryzen processor when compared to Intel's Coffee Lake architecture. Problem is, worst case latency is 54% higher, and this isn’t very good, especially when playing latency-sensitive games.

:hubie:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
AMD has caught Intel in IPC, has nothing to do with the IPC of the cores.

HJjtSej.png

Where it still struggles is memory latency.

U0M3r4yl.png

So the 9900k is better than the PS5 comparable 3700x, right? :skip:

Cause its doing better than the 3900x on your own charts, which is near $200 more than the 3700x and better than the ps5 processor as well.

are you comparing the 9900k to the 3900x because the 3900x is top end amd? Or are you comparing it because you are mistakingly confusing it to be comparable to whats in the PS5? Because whats in the ps5 is comparable to 3700, not 3900.

the point is that you dont gotta wait til next release of processors to smash on ps5 compared processor, today. Was my original post, that you are just proving right :skip:

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
So the 9900k is better than the PS5 comparable 3700x, right? :skip:

Cause its doing better than the 3900x on your own charts, which is near $200 more than the 3700x and better than the ps5 processor as well.

are you comparing the 9900k to the 3900x because the 3900x is top end amd? Or are you comparing it because you are mistakingly confusing it to be comparable to whats in the PS5? Because whats in the ps5 is comparable to 3700, not 3900.

the point is that you dont gotta wait til next release of processors to smash on ps5 compared processor, today. Was my original post, that you are just proving right :skip:

I was on bullshyt.

Until AMD figures out how to fix their memory controller and latency issues, it will have the same problems in games.

It's why I'm making the switch back to Intel myself.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
So, I started a new job a couple of weeks ago. They gave us all new 16” MacBook Pros as our work computers.

I haven’t been on a Mac in a few years. It seemed to be the same as before. shyt’s real simple to use, almost too simple. I’m like yeah, this is all well and good, but I wanna customize more.

Also, everything is backwards. On the scroll wheel on my mouse, up is down and down is up :dead:

Also USB C only. Usb c is definitely better than older usb shyt, but I had to buy converters for everything :francis:

The MBP is definitely high quality, and feels very polished though :ehh:

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
So, I started a new job a couple of weeks ago. They gave us all new 16” MacBook Pros as our work computers.

I haven’t been on a Mac in a few years. It seemed to be the same as before. shyt’s real simple to use, almost too simple. I’m like yeah, this is all well and good, but I wanna customize more.

Also, everything is backwards. On the scroll wheel on my mouse, up is down and down is up :dead:

Also USB C only. Usb c is definitely better than older usb shyt, but I had to buy converters for everything :francis:

You can change that. Hate that shyt "native scrolling" :camby:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area

I think you can change that, inverted mouse or some shyt

I remember the actual mouse was like that on Battlefield 3 on PC and I instantly flew into a the ground :mjlol:

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

Sorry to hear that:to:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I found a Google WiFi kit with 3 pieces at Walmart for $154. Trying it out now and if I like it that Asus router is going back. One thing I don't like is you can't have a separate name for the 5GHz network. Also you can't access any interface on a PC has to be on an Apple of Android app. A coworker gave me a 8 port and 4 port switch so I use those on the Ethernet in ports. Only using 2 of the 3.

If I really like it I'll replace my main one with the Nest WiFi version.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Finally went ahead and made a move :wow:

1080p is officially out. 1440/144 and 4k60 are my only options. 4k/144 one day to replace the 4k60, hopefully before I’m :flabbynsick:

I’m WFH for the forseeable future so I went ahead and upgraded the whole setup: ordered a Steelcase Leap and a bigger desk that’s adjustable to standing :banderas: plus I’m putting the monitors on mounts now so I’m rearranging the whole desktop

Last edited:

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!

Finally went ahead and made a move :wow:

1080p is officially out. 1440/144 and 4k60 are my only options. 4k/144 one day to replace the 4k60, hopefully before I’m :flabbynsick:

I’m WFH for the forseeable future so I went ahead and upgraded the whole setup: ordered a Steelcase Leap and a bigger desk that’s adjustable to standing :banderas: plus I’m putting the monitors on mounts now so I’m rearranging the whole desktop

Hoping LG can successfully turn their OLED TV's into reasonably priced 40" PC monitors. The C9 TV can do 4K/120Hz now.