The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Having a few issues with one of my ASUS motherboards:

1. Windows 10 Explorer hangs on long sleep/resume. If I let the pc sleep overnight and go to wake it the next morning, windows file explorer hangs and hits the blue circle. Recent files will show nothing in that list. Only way to get out of it is to hard reset the pc. It has 5 internal drives and one Drobo external drive. During this process the Drobo software doesn't even show the drive connected.

2. Display and audio will randomly cut out like the GPU lost power. I replaced the old PSU and GPU with new ones. Still doing the same thing. All the drivers are up to date.

Not sure if I need to replace the motherboard at this point.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Best wireless mouse?

For everything

OH! I just got a new answer to this. My manager told us to work from home until further notice, so I just picked this up yesterday and it's great:

5b4e070600dfbe1474fa312e-0-large

For work usage, the MX Master 3 is better because the "electromagnetic" scroll wheel is amazing technology. If you scroll it slowly it moves in steps, but if you scroll it fast it becomes almost totally frictionless for scrolling down long pages.
But, for EVERTHING, I would pick the G903 HERO edition. It still has the old fashioned "locking/unlocking" scroll wheel, so because of that the MX Master 3 is better for office use, but the G903 Hero just feels like the smoothest mouse I've ever used. To me, it feels much more comfortable than my old G502 "gaming" mouse.
The older non-HERO version is much cheaper. I haven't used that one.

Edit:
I'm reading that the old non-HERO version of this had garbage battery life, so I would get the new one for that reason alone.

Last edited:

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
Having a few issues with one of my ASUS motherboards:

1. Windows 10 Explorer hangs on long sleep/resume. If I let the pc sleep overnight and go to wake it the next morning, windows file explorer hangs and hits the blue circle. Recent files will show nothing in that list. Only way to get out of it is to hard reset the pc. It has 5 internal drives and one Drobo external drive. During this process the Drobo software doesn't even show the drive connected.

2. Display and audio will randomly cut out like the GPU lost power. I replaced the old PSU and GPU with new ones. Still doing the same thing. All the drivers are up to date.

Not sure if I need to replace the motherboard at this point.
Might need to get a new one. Have you tried updating the bios?

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Might need to get a new one. Have you tried updating the bios?

I think thats my next move, this board is a x370, I might jump up to a x570 since the prices are down. I just sent it in to ASUS for repair and had them update to the latest bios while they had it about 2 weeks ago. Might give MSI or Gigabyte a try this time. Weird thing is my other ASUS board (same model) in my gaming pc has no issues at all.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Annoying problem with Nvidia right now. The last two drivers whenever I install them the Nvidia control panel is missing. I returned the 5700XT as I was only using it as a test.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Just ordered this monster

While the CPU is liquid cool the reviews says the RTX has sub par cooling system that you will probably have to replace. I wondered why it was so cheap.
Everything can pretty much be upgraded.

A solution to the GPU cooling is to not set it on the floor. Since the cool air comes from beneath and hot air exit the top. I will have no problem with that.

J0bbd0j.png
there's a lot of misinformation and confusion in those Amazon reviews

you're probably not gonna want to replace the cooler on that GPU. it's not a simple process and it will void the warranty. it's not even clear exactly what GPU it is, but it looks like a 'blower' design, meaning it pulls in air from inside the case, and blows it out the back

the vent on the bottom of the case is for the PSU (powers source). it pulls in air from the bottom, and blows it out the back. as long as the case has little 'feet', and is placed on a hard surface (no carpet), there's enough room for it to pull in air. this way the PSU's airflow is isolated from everything else in the case, but that also means the vent on the bottom doesn't contribute to the case's overall airflow (edit: apparently there's another vent on the bottom to take in air via negative pressure. but still no fittings to mount an intake fan)

typically the airflow comes in the front and out the back/top. the problem with this case is it has no intake fans in the front, and it doesn't even have a place to mount aftermarket fans in the front (it's got two slots for 5.25" HDD's instead). this case basically has three exhaust fans: one on top (which is for the CPU cooler's radiator, but will help the overall airflow), the case fan in the back, and the blower-style GPU. no intake fans, so it only has negative pressure to get air into the case. this is pretty 'passive' airflow, and not great for gaming. it's a micro-ATX case, so compromises had to be made, but I don't think having two HDD slots in the front is better than having an intake fan

this is all kind of typical for pre-built machines. high specs, but corners cut everywhere else. who knows what PSU that is. people in the reviews saying the CPU liquid cooler is crap, and/or installed wrong. fancy RGB lighting, but questionable airflow

with all this, the easiest thing to do is adjust the GPU's fan curve (you'll need Afterburner, or similar software). this will keep it cooler, but make it louder

you could also replace that case. there's plenty of better cases for less than $100

replacing the GPU's cooler with a waterblock is risky (voids warranty), and complicated in that already cramped case. you would need a custom loop style cooler to accommodate the CPU and GPU

Last edited:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Annoying problem with Nvidia right now. The last two drivers whenever I install them the Nvidia control panel is missing. I returned the 5700XT as I was only using it as a test.
now they want you to d/l the control panel separately from the M$ store. :what: this happens with the drivers you get from Geforce Experience, and the Geforce website

the workaround is to use Nvidia's Advanced Driver Search

Advanced Driver Search | NVIDIA

make sure to select the "Standard" driver, and not "DCH"

some more info here:

NVIDIA DCH/Standard Display Drivers for Windows 10 FAQ | NVIDIA

What are DCH Display Drivers from NVIDIA?

Microsoft DCH (Declarative Componentized Hardware supported apps) drivers refers to a new universal Windows driver package. . Per Microsoft requirements, the NVIDIA Control Panel is no longer included in the base DCH driver package and is instead distributed exclusively through the Microsoft Store and seamlessly installed following the completion of the NVIDIA driver installation.

What is the difference between NVIDIA Standard and DCH Display Drivers?

Functionally, there is no difference between NVIDIA’s Standard and DCH drivers. While the base core component files remain the same, the way DCH drivers are packaged and installed differs from previous (Standard) drivers. When directly comparing the two driver types, the DCH driver package has a smaller size and a faster installation time than the Standard package.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
now they want you to d/l the control panel separately from the M$ store. :what: this happens with the drivers you get from Geforce Experience, and the Geforce website

the workaround is to use Nvidia's Advanced Driver Search

Advanced Driver Search | NVIDIA

make sure to select the "Standard" driver, and not "DCH"

some more info here:

NVIDIA DCH/Standard Display Drivers for Windows 10 FAQ | NVIDIA
Repped.

I saw that mentioned online somewhere but i didn't notice the option for standard driver. Got everything working. i was going crazy using DDU and restarting over and over thinking I missed something.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
People are legitimately and unbelievably stupid. They really making comments under my setup talking about I don’t know what actual setups in the 80s looked like. :snoop:

Obviously I’m not talking about the actual setup being from the 80s. It’s a fukking 49” curved QLED monitor. It’s 80s synthwave color themed. fukking retards I swear.