The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
the joys of putting together a new PC...

decided to finally upgrade my CPU and mobo, after getting the 2070 Super back in Sept.

got a 9700K, new MSI mobo, DDR4, nvme ssd, hyper 212, and new PSU. pretty much everything new, except the GPU and case.

put everything together, and it post first try :win:

I d/l Steam, but can't remember my Steam password, and I have to give Steam support a bunch of info to get my password reset. so I'm waiting to hear back from them. installed Forza Horizon 4 via GamePass. now on my old system (i5 4670k, and 2070 Super) I got a butter smooth 60fps at 4k in that game, and my performance was pretty good when I had the 980ti. but now the performance is crappy at 1080p. :why: one thing I noticed was the ingame fps counter also shows your GPU usage, and it was fluctuating so fast you couldn't even read it. pretty strange, but I also know a lot of people have issues with that game, so maybe it's just a driver issue or whatever

I try a few different drivers, but nothing helps. then I hear back from Steam, and got my password reset. first thing I d/l is 3DMark. ran Time Spy, and compared the score to the last time I ran it on my old system. my overall score went up, as my CPU score literally doubled, but my GPU score was worse. it was 10,000, and now I was getting around 9,000. again, this is the same GPU. :patrice:

try some other games, and the GPU is struggling with Hitman 2 at 1080p. the performance is really kinda sporadic, and often worse than my 980ti (which got around 6,000 in 3DMark). and the 2070 Super was hitting it's full clock speed, and showing ~99% usage

something is wrong, so I start troubleshooting: DDU and many drivers. reinstall Windows. Prime 95 for a couple hours. disable GameBar, Geforce Experience, Afterburner, etc. Intel Diagnostics Tool. Memtest86 for 3hrs. new bios for mobo. 1 or 2 PCI-e power cables... nothing helps :mjcry:

my last idea is to try the GPU in the bottom PCI-e slot on the mobo. and that fixes the shyt :gucci::blessed:

now I'm debating if I want to bother returning the mobo. it works fine with the GPU in the bottom slot, and I have no plans to get a second GPU. and I really don't feel like cleaning off thermal paste, and waiting for a replacement

what a nightmare though. it was so hard to pin down since I wasn't getting any crashes, blue screens, or none of that. just worse performance. and if I didn't have prior experience with the same GPU... well I'm not sure what I would have thought

PC Gaming :mjcry:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..

decided to finally upgrade my CPU and mobo, after getting the 2070 Super back in Sept.

got a 9700K, new MSI mobo, DDR4, nvme ssd, hyper 212, and new PSU. pretty much everything new, except the GPU and case.

I d/l Steam, but can't remember my Steam password, and I have to give Steam support a bunch of info to get my password reset. so I'm waiting to hear back from them. installed Forza Horizon 4 via GamePass. now on my old system (i5 4670k, and 2070 Super) I got a butter smooth 60fps at 4k in that game, and my performance was pretty good when I had the 980ti. but now the performance is crappy at 1080p. :why: one thing I noticed was the ingame fps counter also shows your GPU usage, and it was fluctuating so fast you couldn't even read it. pretty strange, but I also know a lot of people have issues with that game, so maybe it's just a driver issue or whatever

I try a few different drivers, but nothing helps. then I hear back from Steam, and got my password reset. first thing I d/l is 3DMark. ran Time Spy, and compared the score to the last time I ran it on my old system. my overall score went up, as my CPU score literally doubled, but my GPU score was worse. it was 10,000, and now I was getting around 9,000. again, this is the same GPU. :patrice:

try some other games, and the GPU is struggling with Hitman 2 at 1080p. the performance is really kinda sporadic, and often worse than my 980ti (which got around 6,000 in 3DMark). and the 2070 Super was hitting it's full clock speed, and showing ~99% usage

something is wrong, so I start troubleshooting: DDU and many drivers. reinstall Windows. Prime 95 for a couple hours. disable GameBar, Geforce Experience, Afterburner, etc. Intel Diagnostics Tool. Memtest86 for 3hrs. new bios for mobo. 1 or 2 PCI-e power cables... nothing helps :mjcry:

my last idea is to try the GPU in the bottom PCI-e slot on the mobo. and that fixes the shyt :gucci::blessed:

now I'm debating if I want to bother returning the mobo. it works fine with the GPU in the bottom slot, and I have no plans to get a second GPU. and I really don't feel like cleaning off thermal paste, and waiting for a replacement

what a nightmare though. it was so hard to pin down since I wasn't getting any crashes, blue screens, or none of that. just worse performance. and if I didn't have prior experience with the same GPU... well I'm not sure what I would have thought

Daaamn. Glad everything worked out tho broski. I would just say fukk it and leave it. Especially if u don’t plan I’m using the other slot.

dc007

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DC
Daaamn. Glad everything worked out tho broski. I would just say fukk it and leave it. Especially if u don’t plan I’m using the other slot.

If one thing is faulty with the motherboard from the start, what makes you sure that the others parts won't stop functioning overtime :patrice:

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

I'd bite the bullet and replace it. If there is an electrical problem, it could fry at any moment, and possibly take other components with it.

SAINT

All $ IN
Supporter
Daps
OvwIhS7_d.jpg

My new build, finished it yesterday :banderas: